• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vista ultimate does not play games!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajanm1

i have just installed vista ultimate (64bit), and installed all the updates, drivers etc. but it will not play any games :confused:
the best i can get to work is hold 'em (poker) on vista and even with that all of the text keeps flashing (like the names and number of chips etc.)
:mad: :mad: :mad:

had xp media installed before and that worked fine, wiped disks and installed, then i wiped disks again and reinstalled. still no luck

i have run many disk checks from different programs and the disks are 100% working fine.

please help!!

rajan

I suggest you format and reinstall XP, cause we all know XP is perfect and nothing ever ever happens with XP. :rolleyes:

What games are you trying to get to work? The stock games, or games you have installed?

tried bf2, bf vietnam etc. mainly 1st person shooters.

i can not find the xp reinstall cd so that is no longer an option :bang head :bang head

Is there a particular reason that you installed the 64-bit version? It tends to have more problems and compatibility issues than the 32-bit.

Audioaficionado said:
Try the compatibility mode and set it to XP.
how do you do that?

installed 64-bit because i have a 64bit CPU and thought that it would be good for the longrun, but i was mistaken!! :bang head

rajanm1 said:
how do you do that?

installed 64-bit because i have a 64bit CPU and thought that it would be good for the longrun, but i was mistaken!! :bang head
Right click on the icon. Go to the "compatability" tab (or something like that, there are not many, you'll find it) and select XP on the dropdown menu.

try right clicking the shortcut and select run as administrator,i am running vista ultimate x64 too and everything runs fine for the most part

thanks, works for about 10 mins now (after setting to run as admin and in xp mode) :) but then just closes itself!

Last edited:
Try resetting your chip's clock back down to the default of 2.4GHz, and your VC's memory clock to it's default of 1600MHz. Also check the Event Viewer logs (Start | Type event viewer in the Start Search field | Click on Event Viewer under 'Programs') for any critical errors, and possibly post a couple of the latest in this thread.

everything now unoverclocked, installed latest driers for card, even applied AS5 to it and temps are about 58*C but still happens
only 1 critical error (not within 24 hours though) - ID 41, source - kerel-power, log - system.

rajanm1 said:
everything now unoverclocked, installed latest driers for card, even applied AS5 to it and temps are about 58*C but still happens
only 1 critical error (not within 24 hours though) - ID 41, source - kerel-power, log - system.
When you open Event Viewer and expand Critical, Application, or System logs (Critical in your case)... double click the specific error so it opens in the Summary Page Events window. Next click on Copy-->Copy Details as Text in the RH pane, and paste the contents of the ClipBoard in this thread.

redduc900 said:
When you open Event Viewer and expand Critical, Application, or System logs (Critical in your case)... double click the specific error so it opens in the Summary Page Events window. Next click on Copy-->Copy Details as Text in the RH pane, and paste the contents of the ClipBoard in this thread.

The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-06-03T14:27:16.203Z" />
<EventRecordID>5214</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>rajan-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData />
</Event>

Open Control Panel->Power Options | If you haven't changed the default Power Options, the default Power Plan should be set to Balanced | Regardless of which Power Plan you're using, click on the appropriate "Change plan settings" link under that particular plan | Under "Change settings for the plan", select "Never" for both "Turn off the display", and "Put the computer to sleep" | Click on the "Advanced power settings" link | Expand Hard disk-->Turn off hard disk after, and click on "Plugged in"-->After... change the default value to Never.

redduc900 said:
Open Control Panel->Power Options | If you haven't changed the default Power Options, the default Power Plan should be set to Balanced | Regardless of which Power Plan you're using, click on the appropriate "Change plan settings" link under that particular plan | Under "Change settings for the plan", select "Never" for both "Turn off the display", and "Put the computer to sleep" | Click on the "Advanced power settings" link | Expand Hard disk-->Turn off hard disk after, and click on "Plugged in"-->After... change the default value to Never.

checked all of that and it was already all done

still not working and the HDD start to make some noise (like they are constantly reading) after being on for about 1 hour or so

FINALLY FIXED!!!
i had disabled the virtual memory thinking that my 2GB was enough!, but vista uses about 800-1GB just doing nothing!!!! so that is why the games shut down after about 10 mins, now it works as i have set the virtual memory back to the system managed size.

BUT the hdd's still start to make some noise (like they are constantly reading) after being on for about 1 hour or so

Back