• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vista ultimate does not play games!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You NEVER disable windows swap. Windows needs it weather you have 512Meg or 16Gig of ram Windows and some programs REQUIRE the use of virtual memory.

If the HDD is making noise its because the indexing service is still activated in the background. So I'd suggest you to disable this, as well as windows defender at least from times your typically on the PC and move it to a night time hour or so.

As well you won't see much benefit in 64-bit version of Vista. While yes your CPU is 64-bit compliant, you don't have the memory to really utilize it. The OS takes about 200-400Megs more over the course its turned on than 32-bit mode that I've seen. As well doubt you'd use more than 2gigs on a program expeically only having 2 gigs of memory since it would run really slow.

I'd suggest if you decide to do another format in the future use 32-bit edition unless you only have the 64-bit OEM edition, then well guess your stuck with it. Now don't that this wrong but while the OS might seem to be eating half of your memory, really it isn't. Superfetch has programs loaded in the background ready for use that you typically use so it has nice quick opening times on it, but when needed SF will dump what it has in memory thats not being used to make room for the main programs in use. At least that is its intended purpose.

deathman20 said:
If the HDD is making noise its because the indexing service is still activated in the background. So I'd suggest you to disable this, as well as windows defender at least from times your typically on the PC and move it to a night time hour or so.

how do i do that?

no no, not in vista... don't disable the indexing m8. the vista search is so bad that if you disable indexing it will have very hard time finding any files on that pc of yours.

silence your drive - enclose it or suspend it but let vista do it's thing.

kill windows defender though - it's pretty useless, especially if you got a good av program.

Disabling the indexing service is perfectly fine. Its just like running search without it actually I think its faster than the XP serach feature even with it disabled.

Windows Search disables the indexing service. Its not a point that its loud that the HDD's do it for me since its encased very well but its always hitting the harddrive and doing something with it which I do not like.

Windows Vista is not 100% compatible with Windows XP, any more than XP is 100% compatible with Windows 95. I still have a number of programs from the old days of 95/98 that will not play in Windows 2000 (or presumably XP). There is not 100% compatibility between Windows versions, and this is especially pronounced with gaming.

If you need 100% compatibility with applications, do not upgrade, or verify compatibility with the manufacturer before upgrading. In some cases, manufacturers will provide patches or new versions at little or no charge in order to offer compatibility with Vista.

Each version of Windows has pretty significant differences. (Although Win 95/98/ME are all fairly close, 2K/XP are close, and Vista is in a third category, yet to have any close relatives.) Do not expect automatic compatibility between them, ESPECIALLY with games.

Dual booting can be your friend... although if you bought an upgrade you can be screwed, since the Vista upgrade disables your XP key. If you have a separate, older version of, say, Windows 2000... you might be able to use the Vista upgrade on that though, and that should be perfectly legal and not disable your XP key. I'm not sure why Microsoft felt the need to disable XP keys on the same computer.

dm - it takes it's sweet time without indexing, you gotta agree... m/b not in everybody's case but if you have tons of small files to go through, that's going to be a pain.

Who says you have to let Vista manage your file indexing.

I'm sure there are third party apps that can do the job as good if not better with a much smaller ware and tear on your hard drives.

mcoleg said:
dm - it takes it's sweet time without indexing, you gotta agree... m/b not in everybody's case but if you have tons of small files to go through, that's going to be a pain.

And like it wasn't slow in XP searching? Actaully I think its faster than XP's search engine, and while it being disabled as well its very quick at what it does.

Dual booting can be your friend... although if you bought an upgrade you can be screwed, since the Vista upgrade disables your XP key. If you have a separate, older version of, say, Windows 2000... you might be able to use the Vista upgrade on that though, and that should be perfectly legal and not disable your XP key. I'm not sure why Microsoft felt the need to disable XP keys on the same computer.

This link will show you how to do a clean install of vista with your upgrade with out using your XP key, and Ive even done it myself.

I all so have disabled indexing with out issue, but I dont have lots of little files to worry about.

well dm, don't really want to argue about it. with different setups it would be different, i guess. indexing does have it's purpose though - you search often inside the records; large number of files to search through, etc. if all you need to do is find a file, any search is ok.

Audio - true that; ppl who need to search for stuff would probably use a third party search engine.

Back