• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt-Modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Motoxpro32s

Registered
I want to volt mod my X800 XT but I dont want to mess it up. I can get all the way up to 598 mem and core and then after that it freezes, I have WC Maze 4 and its not that hot(40 load). So my questions are 1. Will Volt Modding Give me more OC? 2. How safe is it? 3. Is it hard? 4. how much are the tools?

1. Almost always yes you will get more with voltmodding if the card is cool and your maxing out then you need to voltmod.

2. If you don't screw up doing it and keep it cool it is very safe and effective

3. Depends on the card and the type and of v-mod you wan't to do.

4. You can v-mod an x800 using a graphite pencil for a quick and dirty and easily removable mod. You can buy SMD grabbers and mod useing them for a safe(Dosesn't risk the card) and esily removeable mod. Or you can solder it on for a long term mod that puts your GPU at the most risk compared to other types of modding.

I reccomend the SMD grabbers they can be had for about $4(you need two) and a pot $3 then some small wire most people have some lying around and an inexpensive about 20 watt soldering iron and solder $10. Finally you probably wan't to have a multimeter which a cheap can be had for $10 a decent one $20-30 and a fairly nice one for $50-70.

Also which v-mod where planning on doing?

I wasnt sure. The only two I knew about was the pencil and the direct soldering, But the SMD grabbers sounds good. Because i just got watercooling so I didnt need to upgrade my hardware(CPU, GPU) for a little and the CPU is working fine I can run my games at 3.7 from 3.2 but I can only get up to 580 or so for games and then it shuts off if I go any higher. Can you give me a guide or a little walkthrough on the SMD Grabbers?

Back