• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRM Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dose the memory run at 2400 speed with default BIOS settings? 1333 speed should be default JEDEC memory standards for DDR3. XMP is DDR3 2400 tested overclock speed of the memory.

Well guys, after playing around with zip-ties, I got the 40mm in place. I used the fan controller temperature thing and temperatures on the heatsink dropped from 64c (during prime95) to 58c. I guess it's an improvement. But as someone speculated, my airflow was pretty much ok to begin with as the whole area was clear (no cpu heatsink) and 230mm side fan & 230mm top exhaust fan probably give it good airflow. Also VRM overheat does not seem to be a common issue for X79 boards because of the heatsink design (which from the looks of it, took a few steps back in newer boards).

As for better overclock, nothing new. I guess the ultimate limit comes from the higher BCLK (104) due to 2400 RAM, so getting 4.6 stable is actually getting about 4.8 stable and for 1.4V it's a no-go.

Also no thorttle was detected on my part before and after placing the fan, so I was probably trying to tune something that was already working to begin with. Anyway I'm glad I did it because I enjoy playing around with stuff, although I'll probably just take that fan out (geez... this thing runs at like 4000 RPM, no joke)

Well guys, after playing around with zip-ties, I got the 40mm in place. I used the fan controller temperature thing and temperatures on the heatsink dropped from 64c (during prime95) to 58c. I guess it's an improvement. But as someone speculated, my airflow was pretty much ok to begin with as the whole area was clear (no cpu heatsink) and 230mm side fan & 230mm top exhaust fan probably give it good airflow. Also VRM overheat does not seem to be a common issue for X79 boards because of the heatsink design (which from the looks of it, took a few steps back in newer boards).

As for better overclock, nothing new. I guess the ultimate limit comes from the higher BCLK (104) due to 2400 RAM, so getting 4.6 stable is actually getting about 4.8 stable and for 1.4V it's a no-go.

Also no thorttle was detected on my part before and after placing the fan, so I was probably trying to tune something that was already working to begin with. Anyway I'm glad I did it because I enjoy playing around with stuff, although I'll probably just take that fan out (geez... this thing runs at like 4000 RPM, no joke)
yeah, cant say i expected much either...but glad you tried!

Dose the memory run at 2400 speed with default BIOS settings? 1333 speed should be default JEDEC memory standards for DDR3. XMP is DDR3 2400 tested overclock speed of the memory.
The memory isnt overclocked if it is rated to run that speed out of the box. Jedec programming is there for compatibility purposes so ram should work out of the box...a base spec for the platform. The IMC however, is overclocked. ;)

Deja vu in this one... :p

The memory isnt overclocked if it is rated to run that speed out of the box. Jedec programming is there for compatibility purposes so ram should work out of the box...a base spec for the platform. The IMC however, is overclocked. ;)

Deja vu in this one... :p

G.Skill does not say rated speed they say tested speed, so the memory manufactures overclock 1333 speed memory to 2400 speed with increased voltage and increased clock speed with testing, that is the definition of memory manufacures overclocking. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.:D

Back