• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRM Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sheremy01

Registered
I have a FX6300 overclocked to 4.4GHz ( multiplier upped to 22X). My motherboard is a ga78lmt-usb3. Are my vrm temps safe? ( I also put a 40mm fan on them)

Attachments

• overclock.jpg
    overclock.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4,132
Yep, you're looking good. Guessing at which temp is the VRM temp though.

most likely it's TMPIN2, how long have you stress tested to see if its stable? We suggest 2 hours prime blend keeping the Socket temp below 70 and the package below 62.

Sorry about that, yes it is TMPIN2. This board is 4+1 power phase so is it good for being this build quality. I tested for 1hr 52min with no errors. Here are some more screen shots. Don't pay attention to the Max cpu vcore. That was before I updated the bios to disable apm which was causing spikes on boot up. Maxed out at 1.44 after updating bios.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 2,493
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 2,647
Generally in Gigabyte motherboards is like this:
TMPIN0 = PCB (as in the motherboard itself)
TMPIN1 = CPU socket temp
TMPIN2 = North-bridge

The motherboard in question is too low-end to have VRM temp sensors.

Generally in Gigabyte motherboards is like this:
TMPIN0 = PCB (as in the motherboard itself)
TMPIN1 = CPU socket temp
TMPIN2 = North-bridge

The motherboard in question is too low-end to have VRM temp sensors.

Most of the time yes. But there have been a couple of the Giga boards that have tried to sort the TMPlNx out for using 3 different pieces of software and the bios and that particular cheaper board did not read as you suggest. I don't think his does either.

If it does read temps as you suggest, then he has a poor CPU mounting of cooler to the top of cpu OR his case airflow to the socket/VRM area is ginormous. I say this because optimally the Core Temp should not be greater than the socket temp. 99.9999% of the time it never is.
RGone...

I have a cooler master 212 evo, and 3 120mm case fans. front & side blowing in, and back blowing out. Speccy reports cpu temp as 15C.

I have a cooler master 212 evo, and 3 120mm case fans. front & side blowing in, and back blowing out. Speccy reports cpu temp as 15C.

Well to put an answer to your question about VRM temps being okay...it is generally understood now that the VRM temps are not being monitored or 'shown' in HWMonitor nor in any other monitoring applications because the cheaper boards do not monitor such. So no way to look at your original capture and speak to anything about a VRM temp. Good luck and happy computering.
RGone...

sheremy01, for temp readings I would strictly stick to "Open Hardware Monitor" and "HWMonitor"

The only way can you be sure that your VRM temps are fine is with one of those Laser/Infrared Thermometers.
Alternatively try to attaching a fan to the HS or buy a aftermarket heatsink for the VRM's.

High VRM temps are likely reflected in higher than normal socket temps would be my guess in general terms since the VRM area is so close to the socket.

Pretty sure tmp2 is cpu, I have the same board just rev 5. I think tmp2 relates to the cpu temp in easytune 6, and overdrive.

correction just checked, tmp1 is cpu in easytune6, tmp2 is cpu in overdrive? lol
temps.png

Last edited:
Back