• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W10 Page File

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You dont really. By default it will expand as needed. Why do you want to do this?

Otherwise...
Increase-Page-File-size-on-Windows-10-1.png

Memtest64 is telling my page file too small (2 GB) and increase its size. It still runs OK testing my memory.

Edit: Increased page file from 200MB/1024MB to 2GB/2GB and Memtest STILL tells me too small so I'm ignoring.

Last edited:
I'd leave it on auto. No need to set a static value...that's how you get into trouble if you run out. ;)

With the little amount of RAM listed in both systems, I wouldn't cap it... just in case.

In A+, ideally the paging file should be 1.5 times the system ram with a max 3 times system ram (exp: 8GB system ram=page file of 12GB to 24GB) if you want to set a static value or let Windows manage it like Earthdog said.
See here-->Page file size

Last edited:
Ahh yes, I remember that rule in A+ from like 20 years ago! I can't say I'm letting the PF allocate 48-96GB on my M.2 drive!

The PF size was, in part, tied to the memory dumps. I'd imagine if you move away from the default debug write information ('automatic memory dump') and changed that to a 'complete memory dump', after a save and reboot, it would then allocate the 1.5x RAM+. In other words, it isn't needed unless you've changed your write debugging from the default to the complete memory dump option (perhaps active memory dump too). FWIW.......I'm currently letting W11 manage things, with 32GB of RAM it sets a 4.8GB PF. Thankfully by default W11 (and I assume 10) doesn't set that 1.5x value out of the box.

In short, so long as you don't stray from the default write debugging option, a much lower value can be set without repercussions from that (I still say auto, you'd never know the difference). When I had 4/8GB systems (and at the time, small SSDs where writes were more of a concern), I manually set the PF to 2GB. For my uses, I never ran into issues.

Last edited:
Back