• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W3670 & dx58so OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b-linq

I managed to acquire an old old pc. I bought new cpu and ram.

xeon w3670
Hyper212 X
intel DX58SO
3x 8GB 1600

I planned to do some oc, but as it seems, i dont have much experience with oc especially xeons. There is not much to change. No multiplier etc.
I checked the internet and people are using x5-60 cpu or different mobo with lot of settings, that i dont have.
I did some changes but as it seems non of them were stable, so i change basicly all settings back except host clock frequency.

These are mine current settings:
Main scren https://s8.postimg.cc/t4wtsko45/DSC_0831.jpg
"Processor overrides" https://s8.postimg.cc/4bn9rxcth/DSC_0832.jpg
memory override https://s8.postimg.cc/qnl2laos5/DSC_0833.jpg
voltages https://s8.postimg.cc/gqa1s9c1h/DSC_0834.jpg

DSC_0831small.jpg
DSC_0832small.jpg
DSC_0833small.jpg
DSC_0834small.jpg

Is here someone who can give me some advices about oc this setup?

Thanks and sorry for my english

Last edited:
Everything you do on X58 will be with the base clock and "straps" you can't just up a CPU multiplier.

X58 platform you usually increase baseclock due to lack of usable multis, unless you have unlocked multiplier. once you start increasing bclk, everything else begins to climb with it: uncore(mem controller) frequency, ram frequency and quickpath interconnnet. It's all balancing act of keeping everything in spec and add voltages if necessary. Only PCI-E frequency is uncoupled, it stays at 100.

Most boards top out at around 220 bclk. Mine can't overcome 196 though, no matter what I do. Some say it's the couch related, while ithers say it's the board. Im leaning towards board likutation, but won't argue.

I added screens to the first post.

I read the guide. Few things.
1) I cannot change Multiplier. It is set to 26 and that just it. I can change "maximum non turbo multiplier" which is set to 24(max) and after setting value down to 12(min) I did not see any difference.
2) QPI Frequency - dont have this option.
3) Uncore Freq. - dont have this option.

I tried to change the settings with instructions from the guide when I had the option. Voltages, Memory etc. But system wasnt happy at all. I managed change host clock to 155 max.

You do have the QPI and Uncore options. Look back at your screenshots; QPI Data Rate, Uncore Multiplier.
To change the CPU speed, change the BCLK. Use the QPI Data Rate, Uncore Multiplier, and Memory Multiplier to set those speeds back down to where they start.

My mistake. I have frequency connected to Hz not data rates :) I will try tomorow again.

wish i never sold this setup
36g1600r15.jpg

i had it up to 4ghz but i seem to have lost the pics, i cant remember if i pushed the bclk more or the multi. i ran it at 3.6ghz because for me that was the best for speed and long term temps on a CM AIO. Granted it has 2 more cores then the I7 4770k, i would have figured the 4770k to be better. it is after all about 1ghz faster clocked and 3 generations newer that then hex core. First Gen i's can hold their own in some areas! :D clearly though it cant hang with the i7 3930k

Last edited:
That's hot! I can't break 700 with my 920. I'm about 610-620 on 4ghz. Chop could probably go a little higher, but can't bclk over 196 and even there, it works only every other time.

Next round of settings:
With this I started:

DSC_0841small.jpg
Summary

DSC_0842small.jpg
Here I changed CPU Voltage only

DSC_0843small.jpg
Here I changed Uncore multipiler and Memory multiplier (2:1) And QPI Voltage

DSC_0844small.jpg
IOH Voltage changed and QPI Data Rate changed

DSC_0845small.jpg
To make it whole, here I hanged all 4 settings to Diabled.

With this setting I have got POST error. I tried change some settings but best result was BSOD.

Since QPI data rate was set to minimum and Uncore multiplier as well, I did lower the QPI / Uncore Voltages. But result was again POST error. I tried lower IOH too, but same result.
After testing I set everything to normal again but now PC refuse to boot. It is in boot loop before BIOS loads.
I will try some troubleshooting. In better case its only RAM. Just my luck :)

Did you default as in "set defaults" in bios menu? Or did you input each value individually to default numbers?
Here's what i mean:

Instead of setting something to "auto" or "default", try inputting actual default number. Maybe something defaults to regular nehalem values and they don't work with xeon?

Ok, so i managed to get everything back to normal. Phew.

And i believe that the setting causing the problems is Uncore multiplier vs memory multipier.
In the guide and even the bios says that uncore has to be at least 2:1 to memory speed. Defaul automatic setting set unocre to 16x and memory 8x aaand that doesent work. 12x to 6x work and now Im 14x to 8x and its working. Not sure what value should I aim for.

Taco: I tried default and set value individually but no luck.

Glad you got it somehow working!
Yeah uncore must be 2x of ram speed, but I believe that only applied to regular nehalems. I believe once you went to 965EE, you could set it differently. Maybe xeon can also take different values vs 2:1mix.

I'm surprised you could make 14:8 work! On mine, you can't even choose anything below 2:1 ratio. It just isn't even in the list of options to go below, only up.

Yup, twice the ram speed or half of the qpi, for a westmere anyway.. I think.. I don't remember much about the 965EE, I had an ES, it topped out at 4.1 @ 1.4v I believe. Turning off ht didn't help. 4.2 booted in the 1.5v range, but it wasn't really stable.

Been kinda busy lately, not much time for rig.

My RAMs are Corsair Vengeance black 1600 and they have XMP profile. The profile is really.. lets say confident. It sets Uncore Multip to 18 and Memory Multip to 12. So, far from 2:1 ratio. I might test it. Hope pc wont burn or something :)

Well, it might work I guess. I'm not familiar very with xeons, not sure how they will allow that ratio, but on my 920, that's not happening:D

I'd say just keep trying and see what happens, if she works, great!!

XMP Profile tested. Doesent work - POST
After that PC sets itself to auto for all. And in stock CPU, RAM sets for 2:1 ratio and it works.
I have run out of ideas how to set this magic machine of wonders to actually work with oc :D

Back