• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

w7 system screwed after power outage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

litec systems

Registered
Hey geniuses!!!!!,
Mangers,if its not relevant to that section,please move...

Yesterday I'm work and download things with utorrent on my pc, then suddenly the power goes out due to electric problem... After we fix it, I'm turn on the pc and let him boot while I'm eating... When I'm back, i see that he is kind of froze;
It stuck at the starting windows screen,but not at all,the w7 logo is "glowing" as any usual w7 at boot( if someone put attention to this..)
Whats weird is, that the hdd led isn't flashing/glowing as he supposed to while the hdd in action...( the led itself good)
THEN im understand that my pc or windows extremely sadly,
DIED!!:'(
One of the biggest problems,it seems that the windows can't find the " restore points" that im create every 2 weeks or so, and its probably due to the raid ssd setup with the z68 intel rapid storage technology( if im not mixing between intel srt to rst..anyway,one of them that use ssd+hd together for boosting...)
That im add recently ...
. It's now going to windows startup repair even at safe mode and it can't fix itself.. and when im press show more somewhere there it's write Bad registry...(translation from hebrew...)
Anyway it seems to me that is a software failure,well, im here to listen to your suggestions,what should i do now????
The only restore that available to me is my previous hdd before im upgrade to 500g hd but its pretty old..because im changed many things at my pc at that time... So please help me!!!
Hope that im clearly enough,and if not, write it please! Im need that files!! And im can't format that installation because im have 140 gb full at big softwares!

Or,say me please when usually windows save the restore points and I'll try to extract they and " feed him" those...
Any advice can help and be extremely
great!!!

My setup
Asus z68v-le
600w psu
Nvidia9600,220
4ram
500ghdd with a 120 ssd for boosting with intel rst...
I5-2500

Maybe might work...

...You might be able to do as outlined below but with the power outage and the like, there is no assurance you will be able to get going again without a REinstall of windows. If I had your problem and HAD to have the files from my 500GB hdd, I would get an external hard drive and boot to a LinuxLIVE CD and copy the needed files from the not working HDD to the external HDD and then Format and install windows to the HDD and leave the SSD out of the system or not as cache to HDD in case this happens again.

However most of us have the OS loaded to an SSD with all data stored on the HDD and this would be much faster than an SSD caching to an HDD.

You can try as below.

Windows was installed on the main HDD C: of system, with a SSD used for caching (system response technology).

A couple of days ago, on a reboot the system would only boot to the utility screen, with options to fix, restore, refresh or re-install.

Fix would fail, restore would complain that there is no drives to restore, refresh and re-install would complain that the system drive was locked.

I was able to get windows to do a start recovery by disabling (and disconnecting) the SSD and removing it from the RAID designation in the BIOS.

The system took about 40 minutes to recover, and after recovery I ensured that all (software) connection to the SSD caching were removed.

The system appears to be working normally.

Last edited:
Wow bro, thanks for that nice reply!!
And if u can be little more clearly,its can be extremely great!! Cause im not so understand exact what im need to do..

And im know that win on ssd be faster, the problem, that this windows is about 2.5 years ago.. And it 70%full at heavy softwares..that's what I'm dont wont to reinstall windows then and now..

Not sure how to make it more clear. If the rig were mine, I would get an external drive and boot to a Linux LiveCD. There are many kinds that make a LiveCD that is bootable on Usb stick is easiest.

I would use the LiveCD to copy files from the crashed HDD with SSD involved and do this for safety sake before just messing and messing with a HDD that is not booting.

Then after moving as many files as I needed to save I would remove as in unhook the SSD and in bios ensure it is removed and then boot to Windows recovery console as you have tried to do and see if Windows can repair the boot process WITHOUT an SSD in the process. Maybe Windows can repair the drive to boot and work.

IF not you have moved as much of your needed data with the boot to LiveCD to external HDD and now you might as well REinstall windows and all programs. And if I were NOW going to have to REinstall windows the operating system would be on the SSD for quicker use and files and data on the HDD.

I run two raid arrays in my setup. I make backup images of my operating system to an external hard drive. I do the images on a regular basis so that IF a crash occurs, I can put the image in place of the problem and back in business with the only missing files being those not captured in the image/backup. This is what everyone should do actually but even more so when you have one drive tied to another drive as in raid or SRT.
RGone...

Well, now its clearer, I'll download the Linux when I'll back home from the army..
Thanks dude!!! Hope I'll can fix it!

Any more suggestions still be great..until ill check those out... .( more people please..)

I thought we might have some of the windows gurus...

...gurus come into this thread but not to date, I see. One reason is that most are no longer using SRT since it is much faster to have O/S on the SSD and makes more sense really.

That said, I did a little more net search which has absolutely nothing really to say about a crashed system using SRT. What to do is pieced together from other situations. My guess is you will not fix the problem, but still one has to try or have pretty good idea of the fruitless nature of the quest. I think any real help will come from getting that SSD out of the way. If you go and look at how SRT works you will see the cpu needing some data > so it goes to the ram > so the SSD has software that looks on itself for the most user used data to reply to ram > but then if not found the software sends the cpu query on to the HDD for the data needed. Based on that, I would think getting SSD out of the equation might produce some better result.

Thought to give you a little more about LinuxLiveCD.
The 10 Cleverest Ways to Use Linux to Fix Your Windows PC
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804/the-10-cleverest-ways-to-use-linux-to-fix-your-windows-pc/

I used the "search" terms >> best linux live for windows repair << and there are many Linux LiveCD setups that are used to work with dead in the water windows systems. You might find something that has your interest.
RGone...

RAID on a personal home computer is risky business.
SSDs are so fast by themselves... RAID introduces an element of risk where if there's something wrong with one hard drive, the entire system dies.

I would install Windows on a single SSD next time if this is a personal use home computer. Also make sure you connect your power supply to a good power surge protector. I hope you can recover your personal files in full by either connecting your hard drives to another computer to get the files, or using a boot CD/USB as RGone is telling you.

Is that possible to clone just the windows and the big programs to the ssd and leave the left data on the hdd( clone part of the hd to the ssd without reinstall..)

Is that possible to clone just the windows and the big programs to the ssd and leave the left data on the hdd( clone part of the hd to the ssd without reinstall..)

That is the best way to use Windows and I cannot imagine doing it any other way. This is what I would suggest.

Install two Windows OS on two relatively small SSD partitions.
Maybe Windows 8 on C drive, with Classic Shell http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/ so that installing Windows 7 is unnecessary.
Maybe Windows XP on D Drive

Install only small programs on those partitions.
Install large programs instead of to (for example) C:\Program Files instead install them to E:\Program Files 8 or E:\Program Files XP

Set everything up just like you want it to be in every program. Move Desktop, Start Menu, Personal folders away from OS partitions, they can be set to not be on C: Drive.
Do not store any personal files on OS partitions.

Now you can reboot from one OS into the other and image/reimage one from the other in a couple of minutes. This means that whatever damage was done to your perfect Windows install, you can reboot and nuke the entire OS and restore it in a couple of minutes.

If really obsessed with perfection, if really obsessed with everything running 0.1 seconds FASTER, then keep a txt file on your Desktop and add to it any imperfections to your Windows image. Then when Windows Update releases new updates once a month, you reboot, reimage, install Windows update + whatever changes you want done once a month.

Save your images on a separate hard drive for faster imageing/reimaging.

My old Windows 9x/Me/2000 machines are actually usable and very fast because of these images. It is faster for me to nuke and reimage than it is to diagnose the smallest of problems. The moment my Windows XP/Vista/7/8 hick-up, the moment I notice a fraction of a second reduction in performance, I reboot into one of the other three OS on my quadruple boot and reimage the "problem" OS.

All four are as fast and as perfect as when first installed. Nothing is guaranteed to take away any damage done by installing a questionable program. Only the nuclear option guarantees restoration of the entire partition to its perfect state. This is why it helps to keep the OS partition somewhat small. In less time it takes you to go on a short bathroom break, your PC has not only been "cleaned" - it's been restored to brand new "out of the factory" state with your custom modifications.

No it cannot be done as you are asking on that crashed system you have. IF you could do as you say, all you would be doing is cloning the 'crash' from one place to the next.

What C627627 was talking about is setting up a "new" set of conditions for protection in the future. Not for recovery of the present crashed out system.
RGone...

Back