• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wacky re-activation problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deepblue

Registered
I was at my parents the over christmas upgrading their computer a little, They signed up for highspeed internet, so I installed a network card (didn't have one) and a while I was in there I put in a newer video card while I was in there.

All went fine and dandy until after a restart the windows activation came up saying that windows needed to be activated before 30 days... etc, etc...

This is fine, and not all that unexpected, as I've had to do the same on my own system a few times. I clicked on the little key icon in the toolbar to go to the activation screens, but all that comes up is something like "Thank you for activating windows". But on the next boot-up the activation icon comes back on. Still giving no option to actually activate over net or phone, just says thank you for activating when clicked.

Now the 30 days is up and it seems to be stuck in the non-activated login loop, where you can't log in without activating. But when they go to activate, it says the same "thank you for activating", but kicks back out to the login screen. Any ideas on what's going on? It's a slightly older computer, and I think it has OEM XPHome on it.

SteveJ

The Windows XP installation is obviously corrupted. Thus I would reformat the HDD then reinstall Windows XP before making anymore attempts to activate it.

More than likely the activation has become "unregistered" for whatever reason. Boot into "Safe Mode" by pressing (F8) during boot | Go to Start | Run | Type... regsvr32 regwizc.dll and click OK | Again in the Run box, type... regsvr32 licdll.dll and click OK | Reboot.

Back