• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wait a little longer for mini ITX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I'm still rocking an i5-2500k and Im ready to get into some new hardware, but I am set on a miniITX build.
Unfortunately there is only 1 decent mITX AM4 board out, and its still nothing to jump about.

Do you guys think its smart to wait for Ryzen 3 and by then hopefully there will be a few extra boards to consider?

Alternatively I could just go Intel route, but it would cost more...I'm really looking to spend $150 CPU, $100 mobo and $100 RAM. I don't believe its worth going intel on my budget and just keep what I have...

Biostar X370GTN works really good and I thnk that B350 version is about the same as both have even the same manual. I have no issues with my board and it's working almost 24/7 since I got it. On the other hand to overclock CPU is required to play with P states but there are only 3 settings so it's not hard, just different from ASUS/ASRock/Gigabyte. I think that MSI uses that too but I had no chance to play with their AM4 boards.
I haven't seen any higher ITX boards for Ryzen. There were 2 models in news couple of days ago but nothing special.

Hard to say, there are a few out there but don't seem to be available any where

I think the board manufacturers are focusing right now on getting the AGESA codes worked out for the high speed RAM compatibility issues that have surfaced and so new product development is on hold.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any mention yet of an X300 board which was intended as SFF so maybe there's still hope?

I think the board manufacturers are focusing right now on getting the AGESA codes worked out for the high speed RAM compatibility issues that have surfaced and so new product development is on hold.

So maybe thats a good reason to hold off for another 3-6 months? By that time maybe there will be a great budget buy Ryzen 3 Quad core?

If you can wait then maybe in ~1-2 months will be available more motherboards and Ryzen 3. On the Computex were presented at least 2 ITX boards but I don't remember what was it. Mentioned Biostar boards are good and stable but let's say that Biostar isn't the best regarding support.

There is too much noise about memory issues while most boards don't have problems with most available memory kits. Nearly all memory kits below 3000 are working at XMP or manual settings without any issues. Problems are only with some 3200 or higher memory kits. Even if you can't set memory at fully stable 3200 then it doesn't mean it's so big issue. Fast memory is helping in performance but it's not so significant to cause a panic in the web like most people do.

Did some more research and I think when the ASRock X370 ITX/AC board comes out I will do it.
So far with my research the best value seems to be the Ryzen 5 1600

Any thoughts on what RAM to look for? Is it worth the extra cost for 3000 rather than a decent 2666 set?

So overall the rough system will be:

To buy:

Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock X370 ITX/AC
16GB DDR4 RAM
Own:
Corsair RX550x
MSI RX 480 8GB
512GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Corsair 250D Mini ITX Case

Afterwards:
Corsair H100i cooler.

I believe this should give me a 40-60% improvement in overall speeds and probably 30% better in gaming FPS from my i5-2500k.

Last edited:
Just about any kit is working up to 2666-2933. But any samsung kit will be the easiest to work with the problem now with samsung is the premium of about $50 for similar kits. 3200 CL 16-18 ( Hynix) at $130 or 3200 CL 14 which is samsung will be $180+

The 2500k if it was OC'd still holds its own well, 30% may be a stretch game dependant, but I think you'll find the minimums to increase greatly/far less stutter during gameplay. So even if the raw FPS doesn't jump out at you, you'll get a smoother gameplay.

All other tasks should see a bit of a bump though.

If you can go for a kit of 2933-3200 but as Johan mentioned some can come at a price premium. But AM4 definitely benefits.. I'd try for a 2933 minimum personally. If you find a great deal on some G Skill Flare X, go for them at 3200 :p.

PS; since when does a H110i (280mm?!) fit in a 250D?

Nice although I am not sure on the layout because the power supply and ports at the top may be an issue with wanting to use the H100i cooler....

I did find a great sale on 16GB RAM today though!
$94 shipped for Evo Potenza. Looks like this should work with Ryzen.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820158204

EDIT: Newegg has released new boards! Definitely grabbing the ASRock!
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157779

So the final items (less the cooler which I will buy later)
I think a pretty decent ITX build!

Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 ITX/AC
16GB Geil Evo DDR4 RAM
Corsair RX550x
MSI RX 480 8GB
512GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Corsair 250D Mini ITX Case

Last edited:
Got everything in and it runs fantastic.

With the H100i cooler, running games with the fans on "quiet", its topping 47C max. I'll have to have my hand at a mild overclock soon.

Looks nice. I guess that if it was available when I was buying my Biostar then I would take ASRock. On the other hand it's almost the same but ASRock has WiFi ... I have no idea how Biostar could release their highest ITX board without WiFi.

I have to say myself this is the best looking build I've done!

R5 1600 build.JPG

I might swap the stock H100i fans out for Corsair Air Series 120mm to add a little more color

Very nice. Remove the DVD drive bay altogether and give yourself more room if you want!? Looks clean as. Definitely swap out those fans. Maybe the Maglevs?? :p

Well the DVD drive just hides the cables, so it works well. I'll probably get an LCD readout or something so its used.

Back