• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

want to lower temps on loop recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thekamikazepr

hey all Im trying to lower the temps in my loop while keeping noise low, this is how it looks sorth of:

Now it has a Enermax 120 as intake in the back and the front rad is exhaust now.

The front rad is push pull but the front fan is a enermax not a SP fan.

Like i said im trying to lower temps

not sure what to do, will removing the front enermax and making it just pull instead of push help?

as in:
current:
SP|rad|AF (airfan)

vs

SP|rad|x
x|rad|SP
AF|rad|SP

I want to have the least amount of $ invested.

Current gear:
fx 8120
GPU : r9-290 (x2)
RAd: blackice stealth 360, xspc 120
fans : Corsair Sp-120

Attachments

• 0731.jpg
    0731.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 121
More raddage... exhaust on the back...

Can you list some system specs? Pretty picture, but can't tell what is under the hood. :)

More raddage...
+1 Fx 8150's run hot as well the 290's you probably will need 6x120 worth of raddage to keep things cool without having high speed fans blasting in your ear.

They are hp but have the little resistance that lowers noise .

16gb ram @ 1800
Amd fx 8120
2x-290's
Blackice stealth 360
Xspc 120
Mcp355 pump

So move the 120 to top as exhaust then get another 240?

You need high RPM fans on the GT Stealth rads. You'll need at least 2200 RPM. They are high FPI radiators. (30 FPI)

This is a prime example of rushing into watercooling. You got different FPI rads in the system with low-mid RPM fans.

Please give us a list of your system components + case as well as the water cooling.

You need high RPM fans on the GT Stealth rads. You'll need at least 2200 RPM. They are high FPI radiators. (30 FPI)

This is a prime example of rushing into watercooling. You got different FPI rads in the system with low-mid RPM fans.

Please give us a list of your system components + case as well as the water cooling.

Case corsair vengeance c70
Ram: 16gb ram @ 1800 (corsair and gskill)
Cpu Amd fx 8120
Gpu 2x-290's
Hdd3tb sea gate
Sdd1: coz vertex (os)(130gb)
Ssd2 : hp/pny (120gb)
1 dvd 5.25

Cooling:

Rad1- Blackice stealth 360
Rad-2 Xspc 120
Cpu block xspc raystorm
Gpu 2x ek copper acetal + backplate.
Mcp355 pump with top reservoir)
4x corsair sp 120's high perf
3x enermax silent
1x slow cooler master irrelevant
Fan controller nzxt mesh
Tubing danger den
Fitting monsoon compressions

Note I might be adding a 240 rad and I could use the corsairs in pushpull in that one. In low rpms.

Then get a silent for the black ice stealth? (Can do only push).

With overclocking cpu and gpu's that could be 800w to dissipate... More raddage and get some high static pressure fans on those high fpi rads like gtxjack said. :)

Ok what am I missing here?
He has the Corsair SP120 HP fans that are high static pressure, high speed fans
Not as good as GT 45's but still was close to the top in fan shootout
I ask cause that's what I am leaning towards getting myself for push/pull on a Monsta 480mm
But I do agree he needs more Rad surface

I have them in low rpms so that might be the diference in reality the diff between full load rpms (with the resistan e and without). (Im guessing with resistan ce is 60-75%). Is 3 degrees. So even if i had them noise as hell i get 2 extra degrees.

I understand its 120mm per device thats why I have 4.

Now what if I put 280 (140mm x2) in bottom and put the 120 as rear exhaust?

What good fans for 140mm

Its 120mm X 2 min on rads so you need atleast 120mm X 6 or 720mm worth of rads
If you are overclocking them alot then 120mm X 3 per chip
As far as 140mm fans not too many work as well as 120mm fans IE not as popular so they are behind in performance

As far as 140mm fans not too many work as well as 120mm fans IE not as popular so they are behind in performance

So unless better fans come out theres no point in 140 vs 120

Updated:

I heard b gears are good but a bit noisy.

Also heard cougars are similar to corsair performance wise but not sure if this is the proper model

Last edited:
Ok what am I missing here?
He has the Corsair SP120 HP fans that are high static pressure, high speed fans
Not as good as GT 45's but still was close to the top in fan shootout
I ask cause that's what I am leaning towards getting myself for push/pull on a Monsta 480mm
But I do agree he needs more Rad surface

Those fans only go as high as 2350 RPM. I think the OP will need anywhere from 2200-3000k to find the sweet spot for that 30 FPI radiator. Not sure which model XSPC that rad is.

A monsta radiator is low fpi but very thick. A good radiator fan at low-mid RPM will take care of that no problem. Take a look at the AP-15s or even the Noiseblockers.

Here's a great site to get lots of great info.

Not picking at you here cowboy but I feel you're a little bit misinformed. I always say 120.2 per chip if you're going for a OC and quiet setup or 120.1 per chip needs to be high FPI and high RPM. That choice is obviously up to the builder and funds permitting. So if the OP is going for 120.1 per chip than the rad he picked up top is fine but a little thicker would have been nice if he had the space for it. Anything beyond 120.2 per chip is not needed but will get great temps and have the option to make the rig uber quiet.

Yes OP, as cowboy said the top rad fans in the market are in the 120mm market. 140mm is there but not as good as 120mm.

Last edited:
Some say the NB fans not good in pull config as they was not designed for it, make a weird sound
And martinlabs only did push config not pull or push/pull
The AP 15's are nice but being that they are no longer made I was scared to use them

Pick away Jack its all good, I might learn something

The FX chip's run hot so 120mm X 2 may not be enough for high overclocks and be quiet just saying

Took a look at Martin labs, I guess its yateloons or arctic cool f12's for me. Since well. No more gt

If it were me I would consider replacing the radiators rather than thinking about fans that sound like an F-14 Tomcat taking off from an Aircraft Carrier. I know the OP is budget conscious...but I am using the Corsair SP120 HPs in my rig and they are LOUD running full tilt...they top out at ~ 2100 RPM @ 12v. Don't get me wrong, because I really like the Corsair fans, but I run mine from an Aquaero 6 Pro and use a control curve that is linked to my coolant temperature, and under full load they seldom run faster than 1300RPM. I went with the HP fans because I wanted as much as headroom as I could get just in case I needed to move more air than the quiet edition fans were capable of.

I would consider something like the Aquacool NexXxos XT45 radiators. The 360 comes in at 11 FPI...assuming they will fit. More money to be sure, but a better solution in the long run IMO.

Last edited:
If it were me I would consider replacing the radiators rather than thinking about fans that sound like an F-14 Tomcat taking off from Aircraft Carrier. I know the OP is budget conscious...but I am using the Corsair SP120 HPs in my rig and they are LOUD running full tilt...they top out at ~ 2100 RPM @ 12v. Don't get me wrong, because I really like the Corsair fans, but I run mine from an Aquaero 6 Pro and use a control curve that is linked to my coolant temperature, and under full load they seldom run faster than 1300RPM. I went with the HP fans because I wanted as much as headroom as I could get just in case I needed to move more air than the quiet edition fans were capable of.

I would consider something like the Aquacool NexXxos XT45 radiators. The 360 comes in at 11 FPI...assuming they will fit. More money to be sure, but a better solution in the long run IMO.

So for replace the 360 for lower rpm ; or just add a lower fin 240 rad?

If it were me I would replace the 360 your have with a Aquacool NexXxos XT45 360 and add a XT45 240. That will give you 120.5 of radiator. Not quite the 120.2 per chip that Jack is recommending but it will get you close. You should be able to use the fans you already have.

The radiators would set you back about $125. If you opt for new rads just make sure they will fit your case before you order.

I might have missed it but in your opening post you say you want to lower temps but I don't see where you said what temps you are getting.

Back