• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Want to upgrade mother board but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itsmeSchmitty

Registered
So i want to upgrade my MB from the 7 series chip set for obvious reasons. I've been look the ASUS crosshair IV the extreme and the formula and a couple others, but theres one problem that i can't believe i just realized and that is finding a SLI board and combining it with AMD. i never really looked in to it till today but finding a board like the crosshair for and AMD Nvidia solution is non excitent??????? I never felt this dumb in my life.
I read(and from a couple other web sites) that you can run up to 4 waySLI on the Crosshair IV Extreme. im guessing that reduces performance??

any who in the future i might run sli 460's or sli 570's depending on how much money i want to blow.

one other thing is the new bulldozer. its SUPPOSED to come out in April (last i checked) and it going to have a new 900 chipset and an am3+ socket. should i wait and see if they will make a board that is am3 & am3+ and then stick with a single card??

Thank you if you read my poorly written thing. any advice will help.

Just curious about the topic header saying this is [Solved]?

If AMD remains true to recent socket generation engineering strategy, you would think that socket AM3+ boards will be backwardly compatible with AM3 CPUs just as socket AM2+ boards are backwardly compatible with socket AM2 CPUs. In addition they would both use DDR3 memory.

Everything I've heard about AM3+ (if that's what they're going to call it) leads me to believe the AM3 CPUs, like your 1090T, will run in an AM3+ board - but I should note, nothing has been set in stone on this subject. AMD has made no official announcements about compatibility, or anything else for that matter. If it were me, I'd wait a couple of months, there should be more information by then.

Back