• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to use three monitors, confused about connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blazenarrow

I'm building a computer for my research lab, and I am confused about monitor connections as I have only ever used two at one time.

Basically here is what I want to connect:

1. 27 inch HDMI LCD monitor
2. 19 inch DVI-D LCD monitor
3. video projector via VGA connector

I am looking at either a 7770 Or the 650 TI

Now my question: with either of those two cards, what is the best solution for hooking up my three monitors?

Here were my thoughts:

1. connect to GPU via HDMI port
2. connect to GPU using DVI port
3. connect to GPU via DVI-VGA adapter

Will this work?

Oh snap, I stumped you guys! I didn't think this was a complicated question, but I guess even the elite struggle sometimes?

Note: none of these monitors will be used to play games. What I am not sure of is what ports can be used on the GPU.

I've read some forum posts that say something like "using the HDMI will take away the capacity to use one of the DVI ports". Is this true?

I have never seen using an hdmi port take away a dvi ports ability to function but you never know.

Anyhow to answer your question, yes you can hook up the monitors=projector just as you described.

for AMD eyefinity, you have to use at least one display port.
example:
2. connect to GPU using DP-DVI adapter

:thup:

See here for AMD and here for nvidia

for AMD eyefinity, you have to use at least one display port.
example:
2. connect to GPU using DP-DVI adapter

:thup:

See here for AMD and here for nvidia

Ok, i'm assuming AMD eyfinity and the link you gave for nvidia is in regards to gaming on multiple monitors? What about just simply using three individual monitors, does one still need the display port?

Thanks for the reply!

dunno for sure. from what i know it`s for all kind of multi monitor setups(AMD). for nvidia i don`t know at all.

DP adapters here :)rofl: and pun intended)

if your using a NVidia card and not in surround just as extended monitors you'll be fine. I just hooked 3 monitors to one card a gtx680. 2 cables are dvi and 1 is a hdmi and its not in NVidia surround. don't need to use a display port cable

if your using a NVidia card and not in surround just as extended monitors you'll be fine. I just hooked 3 monitors to one card a gtx680. 2 cables are dvi and 1 is a hdmi and its not in NVidia surround. don't need to use a display port cable

Well shucks, I just ordered a 7850! :(

Can anyone confirm if it's just as easy with AMD? :shrug:

Back