• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting a desktop buy built or build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris86

Registered
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a desktop and can not decide to buy a built one or build one. I would like to say I like my electric been in the audio and video side more then computers . So I guess my question is should I buy a built one or building one for a first desktop. I know I like the idea of being able to upgrade a built one to keep it up to date. But cost wise is it better to get one already built.

If building one dose anyone have any info of some decent budget builds?

I would say build youre own cheaper as youre not paying shop to build it .
And you can buy exactly what you want .
How much budget whats it used for if its not gaming then igpu will do . You can always add graphic card later . will you need everything mouse keyboard monitor ect
So many questions lol

Well, considering GPU pricing and availability, it may be better right now to buy prebuilt right now. But it depends on your uses. But if I needed a gaming machine now (something with a good video card) I'd go prebuilt unless you want to wait in line for fair pricing and availability (months).

I've always hated pre-built systems. There always seemed to be at least one component that was seriously questionable, usually the power supply. With that said, there are some decent pre-builds out there. Factor in the difficulty to find a GPU or DDR5 (if you're going that route) and a pre-built can be a good option. You will just want to do some serious homework and make sure you are getting quality parts, not just quality specs (i.e. don't just look at MHz and TBs).

That's a great point, Blay. It really depends on where you're getting it, what they have for options and your budget.

I like iBuypower and Apex, for prebuilts, personally. Loads of options for each component and reasonable pricing.

Aw well thats boring Earthdog go buy a cant type it ohhh here goes a Del

I want to spend his money hehehe
???

I'm not so worried about boring as I am getting a complete PC in his hands. You've got a 3090 and know the rigamorle you went through to get one.

Like blay said, it depends on his needs. If he answers your/his questions, we'll know the best place to send him.

Hello everyone, as for my needs I do photography and 4k video off gopro editing. I game on a Xbox one now so maybe in the future I might game on it. My lab top has started messing up and don't want to go with another laptop. Keyboard and mouse is no biggie and I already have a 4k hdmi monitor I hook my laptop to. We will be using it as a main computer l vs laptop

What application do you use for editing? I'm wondering if it uses the CPU or GPU to do the work. If it's just the CPU, then you can run off integrated graphics (Intel) and DIY. If there is GPU acceleration, you're going to want to get a decent GPU to accelerate the work and look more towards a pre-built.

Adobe...... Premiere Pro I assume. What about After Effects? Not sure which version(s) you have but..............

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html
Graphics
Both Premiere Pro and After Effects are engineered to take advantage of the GPU.

Premiere Pro: We recommend a GPU with at least 4GB of memory (VRAM). Multiple GPUs, including eGPUs, will speed up export and rendering in Premiere Pro.
After Effects 22.0 or later: We recommend a GPU with at least 8GB of VRAM.

Apple M1 systems use shared memory for graphics processing. For video editing, we recommend M1 systems that have at least 16GB of Unified Memory.
With that, I'd go prebuilt as finding a GPU will likely prove difficult and/or expensive.

EDIT: YOu need to look around and see what you can find. Look at places like ibuypower and Apex and see what they offer. Price out the same parts as if you were to DIY and see where you stand. A prebuilt is more expensive, however, you get windows and don't spend hours building it and setting up the PC as you do with DIY.

I would buy a pre built just to get the GPU I wanted. If I had the GPU I would build...but most of could build a PC with our eyes closed. We would always recommend that except the way it is now it very tricky to get a good GPU.

If gaming is not involved build you own.

You can still upgrade a prebuilt PC. I always reuse my case , PSU, Storage, and possibly Ram if it hasn't changed. Generally just upgrade the GPU for sometimes years...In fact my 3rd PC in sig must be almost 10 years old and upgrades have been GPU's a few 4 or 5 times , RAM, 8GB to 16GB and SSD a couple times and PSU's. MOBO and CPU have not changed

I would buy a pre built just to get the GPU I wanted. If I had the GPU I would build...but most of could build a PC with our eyes closed. We would always recommend that except the way it is now it very tricky to get a good GPU.

If gaming is not involved build you own.

You can still upgrade a prebuilt PC. I always reuse my case , PSU, Storage, and possibly Ram if it hasn't changed. Generally just upgrade the GPU for sometimes years...In fact my 3rd PC in sig must be almost 10 years old and upgrades have been GPU's a few 4 or 5 times , RAM, 8GB to 16GB and SSD a couple times and PSU's. MOBO and CPU have not changed
My components are over 10 years old plus I can't have the current one NOT running until I have a new one with the data copied over....just old habits....still have my previous PC not to mention even my old x286 processors.....gotta go the Smithsonian is calling.....

What application do you use for editing? I'm wondering if it uses the CPU or GPU to do the work. If it's just the CPU, then you can run off integrated graphics (Intel) and DIY. If there is GPU acceleration, you're going to want to get a decent GPU to accelerate the work and look more towards a pre-built.
I've actually moved away from Adobe and others due to cost and yearly subscriptions.....been using Magix and it does use my EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 for some processing.

Guess I will be looking for a new GPU.....suggestions:unsure:.....4K video but don't need 8k

I'm trying to keep cost down.....Retired and living off SSI since I had to have 4 discs fused in my back....what fun.....I abused myself while growning up and still having problems resisting doing things I liked to do in my 20s.....no more sky diving, dirt bikes or surfing.....which really sucks living off the coast!

This isn't your thread, bud.... why did you post here?

Please put this info in YOUR thread if you haven't already. :)

Last edited:
I've always hated pre-built systems. There always seemed to be at least one component that was seriously questionable, usually the power supply. With that said, there are some decent pre-builds out there. Factor in the difficulty to find a GPU or DDR5 (if you're going that route) and a pre-built can be a good option. You will just want to do some serious homework and make sure you are getting quality parts, not just quality specs (i.e. don't just look at MHz and TBs).
Got my spread sheet going and just researching my parts....as I mentioned out of IT for almost 10 years and I haven't kept up.....next someone is going to tell my I don't have to change dip switches to change boot devices :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back