• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to build a computer need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris86

Registered
Hello everyone I had posted a few years ago about wanting to build a computer and a few guys did a build list for me but life got into the way and it never happened.

Fast forward to now. I'm in the market to build one but have know idea were to start. Will be doing photography and video on it no gaming at this time. One thing I know I want is to have a way to load more then one hard drive in it to keep pictures on there own hard drive.

How dose this one compare to the one I posted from a few yrs back. Also was really wanting to have a rack for ssd drives so i dont have to have externals.

Trents said that old list is outdated. What he picked will be faster for what your intended use is.

Does any app you use utilize a GPU? You may want to look and find out as having a better GPU can help depending.

A "rack" for ssd? How many do you need? You mentioned two drives... just about any case will fit two storage drives.

Chris, is this machine going to be used professionally or as a hobbyist? The machine Maviryk linked has everything you need but would be short on memory, storage and CPU power compared to what I have outlined. The Asus he linked would of course do what you want it to do but much more slowly.

Main programs is photoshop cc and I would like to run programs on a hard drive and store pictures on one and then have a back up hard drive one.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Speed is deff a thing I'm worried about. I just do it as a hobby.

This is the specs to my laptop and its lacking in speed and storage

•4th Gen Intel Core i7-4500U processor
•Intel Core i7 processor
•8GB DDR3L memory
•15.6 LED-backlit high-definition widescreen 10-point multitouch display
•Intel Wireless Display
•1TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
•Dragon Assistant voice recognition software
•NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M dedicated graphics
•1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports

It's Photoshop, not super CPU intensive.

He can still add RAM/SSD, as prices are dropping on those, and still be under 1k budget.

I can go to 1500 would rather over build it. Then under building and having to add to it later

Last edited:
Not sure what rbg is. I do like the ones that look really nice and I have a OCD problem so I like they setups that are lighted and wires color matched and all that this is going be my first build. I have installed drives and ram just never a full build but I dont know a lot when it comes to what's good and what's not I just know I want something that wont be dated in a yr. I'm also big in over building everything so budget is kinda in the air. I'm willing to pay 100 more per part if it's going be worth it or better in the long run

Not sure what rbg is. I do like the ones that look really nice and I have a OCD problem so I like they setups that are lighted and wires color matched and all that this is going be my first build. I have installed drives and ram just never a full build but I dont know a lot when it comes to what's good and what's not I just know I want something that wont be dated in a yr. I'm also big in over building everything so budget is kinda in the air. I'm willing to pay 100 more per part if it's going be worth it or better in the long run

You keep changing the rules on us, dude. I wish you had stated those parameters in the beginning.

You keep changing the rules on us, dude. I wish you had stated those parameters in the beginning.

No kidding.. first it's 1k, then its 1.5k, now it more like 2k... gotta lock down that budget, then we can really help you.

FWIW the computer is my sig is "dated". I'll be able to use it for at least 5-6 years, even though the components have all been out at least 3 years. As reference, I've only spent $1500 (computer cost only, no monitors), on my OEM prebuilt, added only want I needed (new 256gb M.2 boot drive, 1TB SSD scratch drive, and swapped a better GPU), and it's still overkill for how often it actually gets used.

What programs are you currently using? Adobe Photoshop/Premier aren't exactly demanding. Now, if we're doing CG and rendering large scenes, that's a different story.

I like building and tinkering, but if purchasing a prebuilt computer gets the best performance per dollar spent, that's where I'd be spending money.

2k would be getting up there and I'm not apposed to buying a prebuilt I know sometimes you get better stuff with building your own. That's why i was looking into it.

Let's start over I do photography as a hobby land scape mainly. I have just started in video editing 1080 and 4k.
I have a bit of a OCD problem when it comes to wires being neat I also like color coordinated stuff not a bunch of random colors. I also like the cases that have windows so you can see the components. I would like to be in the 1k-1500 range but am willing to go more to have a better set up. My wants are to get on line for web based stuff, a card reader would also like a triple hard drive set up at minimum one to run programs and the some ssd's to store pictures on one being a main and one being a back up right now I use my laptop and storage is one picture stays on comp a copy to a external hard drive and then a 2nd copy to another external hard drive. As far as internal components go that's when I get lost this is the monitor I have been looking at Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q
Screen size: 31.5-inch | Resolution: 3840 x 2160 | Refresh rate: 60Hz | Panel technology: IPS | Inputs: 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x Mini DisplayPort, 1 x HDMI | USB: 4 x USB 3.0

Chris, with having to have everything color coordinated and all the other ever evolving requirements your putting on this, along with the ever changing budget and wanting to be future proof, I think this is something you are going to have to figure out on your own. It's obvious to me you are at least fairly technologically savvy or you wouldn't even be able to write about what you want and don't want in such detail. We have given you some suggestions that reflect what is current generation technology. In my mind it's up to you from here on out. If you have specific questions about components we could help answer those. But what it feels like to me is that your OCD side is trying to wrangle us into make all the decisions for you so you don't have to struggle with it. But as you know, you will anyway, no matter how much we try to help you make good choices in components. This is not fair to those of us trying to help you and it's a black hole. I'd rather put my time elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back