• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warranty Stickers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Ok so, due to my purchase of a laptop/mass produced machine for the first time in about 5 years i have a question about warranty stickers.

This is EU / UK based so if anyone has direct experience please chime in. So I bought a MSI MSI GE60 0ND-463UK (decent gaming laptop for the cheap price of £630) but I have heard it gets relatively toasty. Now I also want to overclock the GPU ( people are seeing 20% oc’s on this with acceptable temps on a laptop cooler/stand).

But of course I do not trust the TIM job done by all companies and I would much prefer to reapply some MX4 myself, but of course this is where the warranty comes into play, there is almost always a sticker over the last screw. Now I read somewhere that there is in fact an EU law which prohibits the use of a sticker as a warranty seal, ie it is not legally binding. (just saw it on a thread, but there might not be a shred of truth to it).

The other option is to carefully remove the warranty sticker. Warm it up with a hair dryer gently remove it and put it on a piece of plastic, then reapply once I have finished. I would say I am good enough with a screwdriver to leave little or no traces behind while opening up a laptop. What do people think?

Cheers

Remember, you asked.

I think you are both risk averse and wanting the manufacturer to eat the bill if you mess up your laptop.

Win/win for you only.

I read that as well, on the MSI forum actually. My suggestion is to google the law and find out. :)

Regardless, I think replacing the paste will void your warranty anyway so does the sticker really matter?

Remember, you asked.

I think you are both risk averse and wanting the manufacturer to eat the bill if you mess up your laptop.

Win/win for you only.

Hardly, if i broke the laptop while opening it up then i would foot the bill (yes I am actually an honest person in some respects), that is not the intention of the question.

Also it would be pretty obvious if i broke the lappy while fiddling with the insides. I have been building computers and taking apart laptops for over a decade now and i would like to think i have the nouse not to destroy a laptop from opening it ( a simply thing to do).

My point is if the laptop dies of an unrelated issue the manufacturer will obviously try and blame it on the fact the laptop has been opened which I would know would not be the case. I dont want to get into a situation where the laptop dies and i have no warranty despite my fiddling having no impact whatsoever.

Also ED the issue is that i dont know the exact law pertaining to that post so I have hit a snap there :p

Also yes replacing the TIM would void the warranty, but lets avoid that point as i know that 99% of RMA techs probs wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the stock/aftermarket TIM provided it was the same colour....Its just the sticker which i am interested in, moving forward from my original post. ;)

Back