• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooled Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Witchdoctor

It probably has been about 7 or 8 years since I built a nice gaming rig. That rig I parted out about three or so years ago. Since then my gaming systems have just been a jumbled up mess of left over benching parts on a piece of plywood or mother board box with parts and wires laying all over my desk. Tired of listening to Tina, my better half complain about it so I decided to build a new nice looking / civilized gaming rig in a typical case. Hopefully it will blend in a little better with the room decor and friends won’t have to ask what the heck is that ………?
The last gaming rig I built was pretty over the top, this one will be a bit more conservative to say the least. Nothing to fancy going on, straight up 6/120 water for CPU and GPU.
This is going to be a slow go, no rush on my end. Just want to get a good result and thought it would be fun post to this process on the site for some laughs and some insight.
I will post a few pics of the hardware I have already soon. For now here is some of the hardware I will be using
|
Enclosure = Fractal Design Define S2
|
Mother Board = Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
|
Processor = Intel i9 9900K
|
Memory = G.SKILL TridentZ Series 3200 16GB 14-14-14-34
|
Video Card = Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Extreme Water block
|
M.2 = Samsung 970 Evo
|
Storage = Dealers choice, have a ton of SSD’s laying around
|
Power = EVGA 850 G3
|
Water cooling = EK-Velocity CPU block, EK cool stream Rads, EK Xres/pump combo, EK Vardar V-3 1850 RPM fans, EK ZMT matte black tubing & EK-CryoFuel Clear w/distilled water

DSCF2945.JPG

DSCF2959.JPG

DSCF2962.JPG

DSCF2963.JPG

DSCF2964.JPG

DSCF2966.JPG

DSCF2969.JPG

Last edited:
You probably want to go with the aorus to match the mboard, but the msi sea hawk ek x looks so damn nice, that backplate :drool:... But then and again, taste may vary...

Yes the Gigabyte is my first choice , and the good news is it just came into stock at the egg, so was able to get one.

:cheers:

And it was $ 200.00 cheaper than the Evga Hydro. That does not hurt my feelings as I am running a little over budget

Looks to be a very capable card with stock BIOS has 300 watt TDP, Have to see if there are any good BIOS files out there for it to push up the power limit as i am sure nVidia has them locked down tight

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N208TAORUSX-WB-11GC#kf

Hey guys, have been trying to research to get back in the loop,

Getting ready to start putting this together this weekend, are these CPU's still using TIM or are that soldered on the 8 cores ?

This looks awesome! If a 9900K and 2080ti are conservative for you though, I'd love to see what you consider all out.

Hey guys, have been trying to research to get back in the loop,

Getting ready to start putting this together this weekend, are these CPU's still using TIM or are that soldered on the 8 cores ?

der8auer put up an interesting video delidding a 9900k, shaved or lapped some of the solder down and used liquid metal TIM under the iHS, iirc brought temps down @13 or 14C

This looks awesome! If a 9900K and 2080ti are conservative for you though, I'd love to see what you consider all out.

I would re-name the thread if I had to do it again, My thought was just a straight forward build, nothing out of the ordinary

It was not so much talking about the actual hardware, but I can see that the name of the thread is a little F'ed

Water Cooled Build might be better .....

larryccf

Thanks for the link, If I was benching the chip I would possibly consider something that.
As this is going to be a simple gaming rig I will use the stock IHS, if it is ridiculous I will lapp it a bit to get good contact :)

No copper, no hard tubes, Old school rubber tubes :)
Build went pretty smooth.
However the front panel connector from Gigabyte is a complete POS :eh?:. Best place for it is in the trash can. Other than that the board seems nice and the layout is pretty straight forward, everything is where you would expect it to be & the PCB is of good quality. The board has huge back plate making the entire board heavy and stout. No flex what so ever when plugging things in. To sum up the board is a tank. Quick glance at the BIOS exposes some of the same difficulties Gigabyte has struggled with forever, But as always everything you need to succeed is there. Can’t wait to get in to that a little deeper. The Yellow stripped memory seems out of place but got it for $ 70.00 off so could not complain. The EVGA power supply seems to be their typical. Sleeved cables of adequate length, small foot print and very quite fan. Vid card is a beast, it is huge and like the motherboard crazy solid and heavy card that just cries out to be installed vertically. No Branding but reminds me of an EK block, fit and finish is spot on as with the rest of the EK parts for the build are of the best quality available IMO. The case is pretty conservative for this day and age, but has a nice simple layout that is easy to work in with ample space for water cooling and is aesthetically pleasing.
The Egg is not what it used to be. Used to get a lot of stuff next day, most to the stuff took a week to get here & they lost a drive in shipping, canceled that and grabbed it on Amazon.
In conclusion I have to say the RGB is very meh……… :sly: but having read a few threads on the site I realize they do make it faster so will have to suck it up and deal with it ………… :eek:

Biggest pit fall is for once I wanted to put a legit OS on this, but forgot to order it :facepalm:
So waiting until Wednesday now :(

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

very nice! Now I get what you meant by conservative, not the hardware but the cooling since you've done copper tubes :D. I did a quick search but didn't find a copper build, can you drop a link?

Ok there is a reason I don't typically use Gigabyte boards

Crashed during some testing last night and lost all my saved profiles .............. :mad: WTF !!!

It does not like high bus speeds ....... :(

Don't get me wrong, seems to be a nice and capable board, just a little quarky compared to AsRock and Asus boards I am used to.

CPU seems to be a less than stellar sample 1.32 v for 5 Ghz :eh?: but still working to get that down, may try some adaptive voltage with speed step on

Guess I am just whining B***** ......... :rain:

I will put up some screen shots up tonight

before settling on my MSI MEG Z390 Ace mobo, i went thru 2 Gig Aorus Master Z390 mobos - both had flaky, as in instable, BIOS

Gig tech support had me RMA both, and each time suggested i had a bad BIOS chip. I'm not sure if it was weak BIOS chips, or just in the race to get Z390 boards out, they rushed the BIOS coding. THe board before that was an Asrock Taichi Z390 and it fried my CPU (9900K) on a bios update.

fwiw

Odd, mine worked fine for the review... both the installed, and latest BIOS from the review. Granted I don't touch the bus (why for ambient overclocking) but no anomolies here with it. That sucks you are having trouble with it Witchy. :(

Odd, mine worked fine for the review... both the installed, and latest BIOS from the review. Granted I don't touch the bus (why for ambient overclocking) but no anomolies here with it. That sucks you are having trouble with it Witchy. :(

trust me, it did suck - biggest hassle was having to get W10 re-activated on a new mobo (retail copy). When it didn't re-activate automatically, i didn't know to wait for a couple of days - and spent time on phone with MS support. And oddly, in my defense, MS support didn't know to tell me to wait a couple of days.

but it could have been bad chips, as both boards came from same vendor (Newegg) so they could have both been from same lot

the Asrock BIos update that fried my cpu, other posters on asrock's web started complaining right after mine went south, about having issues, and then one poster popped into my thread on Tom's having the same experience i did, ie right after updating, i mean never getting into windows, the board fried his cpu. Asrock took that BIOS update totally off their web (P1.51), but even the replacement, P1.60 and then the next bios P1.80, folks were complaining about issues and going back to the orig BIOS, P1.30

Last edited:
I bet.. BIOS corruption is never easy to deal with... and neither is MS... though my phone experience with them and getting Windows activated only took a few minutes.

Back