• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling a P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atomic ferret

Okay, so here's the deal, I've got a little money saved up from a couple jobs, but not enough to update my rig from my old P4 2.4C (in sig). I've always wanted to make the jump to water cooling and I feel like this summer is the right time to do it. I know water cooling a P4 seems kind of weird, but I won't have enough money for a new computer for a few years due to all my money going toward tuition at college. I think that I can get away with spending a little over $100 and I want to put together a budget cooling loop for just my CPU. I figure if I get a water block that's either cheap or compatible with 478 and 775 I can just transplant it when the time is right.

I picked up a '77 Bonneville heater core from Pep Boys the other day and I plan on building a shroud for it out of copper or brass. My friend also gave me a scythe fan, so I'm half way there in terms of fans. I've been looking at forums kinda obsessively over the past week for good deals on parts. I'm trying to find a pump for around $50 and a water block for a good discount.

Now my questions are:

1) Is it an issue if I get a DD Maze 4 water block for say $25 shipped? It's a good cheap block, but I won't be able to use it later on so I want to make sure that it will cool my proc without a problem.

2) Am I a complete idiot for wanting to do this? Be honest. The reason I want to do this is for the experience. I care about performance and temps, but the main reason is to gain experience and to know I can do it. I really like building things, so I have the urge to do this.

Thanks for all your help.

theres nothing wrong with your idea.heck id bet theres a boatload of ocfers that watercooled their p4s back in the day.matter of fact ive got a wced p4 3.0c :)

your best bet would probably be to post a want ad in the classifieds.see if maybe you can get ahold of a apogee gt or storm(both are 478/775 compatable.you could probably pick one up for around $25-$35.which would leave you with enough for a ddc(mcp in the link)or maybe a mcp655.heres a couple links for reference.finding another fan will be easy as pie.you may be able to get someone to toss one or two in with the block or pump for a nice price.someone will hook you up,im sure of it.
storm
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-Storm-Universal-Waterblock-Rev-2-pr-3022.html
apogee gt
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-Apogee-GT-universal-water-block-pr-3639.html
pumps
http://www.jab-tech.com/Pumps-c-323.html

Thanks for the ideas. I've been looking around the classifieds for a while now. The best offer I can find is a Maze4 or a Whitewater for 25$. I'm looking for something compatible with both 478 and 775 though, so I'll keep an eye out for an Apogee or Storm. I've seen a few MCP655's get sold for $50, so I'm hoping to find one of those in the near future. I'll be sure to post a Wanted add tonight.

Good luck finding a storm. Those have been discontinued sometime ago and are still fetching handsome price on eBay.

Back