• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

accessoriesguy

Hey everyone,
so I was wondering, is it possible to make a water cooled laptop. But not conventional water cooling, i was thinking something along the lines of using the laptop casing itself as part of what holds the water.

Think of it like the macbook pro (yes I know apple reference in over clocking) with its unibody design. If it were a bit thicker, if somebody was crazy enough to get it customized so that the space between the top and inside was hallowed out and filled with water, there could be a little lock for releasing/filling up the entire case with water.

so the water is stored in between hallowed out spaces in the laptop case. disregarding possible added weight. make the spaces where the fans go to the water pumps/coolers. swap the regular heatsink to the new watercooler one, ta da, you have a monster.

I hear those aluminum macs, the case for being aluminum works as a heatsink as well because aluminum is good at dispersing as heat. (?)

So would this be possible. I mean it for sure wont be convenient or likely. But can it be done? could we get a pump/cooler that small? In a world where batteries had way more power and charge then now (assuming this would probably drain your battery a lot faster).:popcorn:

Any input or thoughts on this? Sorry if it is not so easy to understand, it is difficult to explain my vision.

The main reason water cooling is so efficient is that there are enormous radiators in WC loops which can cool a large quantity of water very quickly; without the big rads, it would be inefficient and totally pointless cooling solution. Another problem is the pump - you couldn't fit one of those inside a laptop.

It is for this reason that a WC lappy has never been made or modded (and likely never will be). :D

Back