• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling noob needs input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sempei

As stated very much water cooling noob. I'm looking at this setup: http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...e_Code=C&Product_Code=AWKCC&Category_Code=WCK
Interested in the Black Ice Extreme rad the Swiftech MCW5000 block and 1/2" hose and the Hydor L30 320gph pump. It will initally cool my Intel Tualatin 1.2 running at 1.5 but will be upgrading to an Athlon XP 2400+ (which will be overclocked, duh)in the near future hence the Swifty block which will work on both. Also want to position in the bottom front of my case hence the Black Ice rad.
Is the 1/2" hose and 325 gph pump overkill or will 3/8 hose and a 185 gph pump suffice? I've been reading a ton of posts on water volume, velocity, pressure drop, etc. and it is all very confusing. Any comments, suggestions, or knowledge is very much appreciated and welcomed.

Well I am a water cooled NOOB also. My setup is kind of similar to what you are looking at. The only thing I can chime in on is to go with the 1/2", that is what everyone is telling me. ALso I will post pics of my rig next weekend, it will also have the resivor in a mini fridge. The only other thing i can say, is to have the heat pulled "OUT" of you case and throgh the radiator. No use in bringing in more hot air through your radiator. GOOD LUCK!

PS>
ALso i know you should build a shroud for the radiator and position it an inch or so from the radiator. Doing this will ensure you won't have much of a dead spot right in the middle of your radiator where the fan motor sits, see what I mean? I am making mine out of plexi glass.

From my limited experience and knowledge I would say that if you are starting out and buying a high flow pump you should get the 1/2 hose. I can't see any point in going 3/8 now with all the high flow blocks out. Money difference is not much either. From all the tests i have read the more flow through the block the better the temps.

definitely build a shroud or buy one it has been proven to make quite the difference in temp and noise. Its works to. I built mine out of cardboard and duct tape. Very cheap but it rules.

Thanks skahtul, although I was planning on pulling "cooler" air in through my radiator from the front. I figured cooler air over the radiator would be better? I will have fans to exhaust the warmer air from the case. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Yeah a shroud was also on my list but I can fab one for that.

i just set up my first WC system 2 weeks ago.

If you search the this forum, you should able to find out most answer to your question

Better CPU Water Blocks: White Water (direct die, a bit difficult to set up), Maze 3

Better Pump: Via Aqua 1300 and Enheim 1250 (more GPH the better... more flow rate)

Better Radiator: Chevette Heater core. From Autozone or dtekcustom

Always use copper tops and brass barb fittings. get a 120mm FAN to cool your radiator

The difference between 1/2 and 3/8 wasn't huge, at least judging from the CPU temp using 1/2 or 3/8.

and Always make a shroud for your radiator because it can increase the cooling on the radiator from 10% to 30%

Sempei said:
Thanks skahtul, although I was planning on pulling "cooler" air in through my radiator from the front. I figured cooler air over the radiator would be better? I will have fans to exhaust the warmer air from the case. Am I wrong in my thinking?

No i don't think your thinking is wrong. I think the front of the case is a good place to mount your radiator, but if you are interested I have some drawings for you that I can e-mail to you. (PM me) There are two setups I am thinking of doing, both of them move air from the outside, pull it through your radiator, and exhaust it. And it is all contained in the case. There for no hot air is in the case, and you are pulling cool through. Also if you put a temp monitor down in the bottom of your case you will see that the air down there (especially if you have side intake fans) is only a TINY bit hotter than ambient room temp. When people are getting “ambient” temps off there motherboards, that is not actually the temp of the air inside your case, it is the temps somewhere on you mobo.

The Swifty 5000 just came out, and I have yet to see any reviews on it, but I don't doubt it will be good, even though it is smaller. The Maze3 is pretty nice but it will be interesting to see a comparison.

I read some reviews on the Cooltechnica case and it looks nice.

This is how the fan/shroud arrangement shoud look like. I have included a link to an article I wrote. I m going to be building new shrouds for a BIX made just like you see in the photo.

ARTICLE

DUAL.jpg

My new system will be built as seen in this drawing. By doing so it eliminates any air from the heater core from the mobo area.

case%201.jpg

Last edited:
Cathar said:

The White Water is not a direct-die CPU block. It attaches just like a regular water block.

I took this as he meant better options would be to use the WW, a maze 3, or a direct die block. But its always good to clarify

Wow, Dodge, I was thinking something EXACTLY like that the other evening. I would however need a new case to do that as mine does not have that much room.

EluSiOn said:
i just set up my first WC system 2 weeks ago.

If you search the this forum, you should able to find out most answer to your question

Better CPU Water Blocks: White Water (direct die, a bit difficult to set up), Maze 3

Better Pump: Via Aqua 1300 and Enheim 1250 (more GPH the better... more flow rate)

Better Radiator: Chevette Heater core. From Autozone or dtekcustom

Always use copper tops and brass barb fittings. get a 120mm FAN to cool your radiator

The difference between 1/2 and 3/8 wasn't huge, at least judging from the CPU temp using 1/2 or 3/8.

and Always make a shroud for your radiator because it can increase the cooling on the radiator from 10% to 30%

Thanks for the input and I agree with all your suggestions. However what I was really looking for was relative effectiveness of the parts I had selected. The block needs to mount on an Intel 370 board initially so anything mounting with the 4 holes is out. I think I'm pretty well settled on the Swifty MCW5000. Also the Dtek rad looks great but according to Dtek's dimensions I believe it to be a smidgen too big for the front of my case and I want to keep everything contained in the case. The Hydor pump is new and is a 320 gph unit so flow should be good. Thanks to all for the comments, any more?

what kind of case do you have?

I have a Chieftec Dragon Series and I fit everything in my case.

Sempei said:
Wow, Dodge, I was thinking something EXACTLY like that the other evening. I would however need a new case to do that as mine does not have that much room.

See what you think of this.

EluSiOn said:
what kind of case do you have?

I have a Chieftec Dragon Series and I fit everything in my case.
I have an Inwin S500 midtower, quite a bit less space than the Chieftec. I was looking at the Chieftec Dragon cases and would probably get one if I had to. The main reason I was looking at the Black Ice extreme for my radiator was it is a bit smaller than the Dtek heater core and will fit in my case. Is there a huge difference between the BI Xtreme and Dtek's heater core?

The BIX is smaller than the Dtek, with it being 5x6" and the Dtek 6x7". The difference between them is that the BIX is full copper and the Dtek brass tubes. There is a SLIGHT difference in temps from what I hear, but nothing substantial.

I'm not familiar with the S500 but judging from the pics on Inwins site you should be able to fit the BIX in the front or top if you cut a hole.

Back