• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling starter kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

Well it seems like i cant avoid it any more since my OC'ed 3770k is way to hot, and my 7970 cards seems to run i bit hot to, especially in BF4.

I've never tried water cooling before, except AIO cooler. So it could be fun at the same time to learn something new.

Don't know what's the best choice. Buy a kit or just buy the parts and assemble it.

No need for a high end water cooling system, but not the cheapest one either.

All suggestions are appreciated.

I'd say that building a full custom loop is much more fun... and patience!

Have you read through the stickies in this section?

They'll give you all basic info (and more).

I'd say that building a full custom loop is much more fun... and patience!

Have you read through the stickies in this section?

They'll give you all basic info (and more).

Yeah i think i stumble upon that guide earlier, but will take some time and read it again.

The only problems if i should build a custom loop is the knowledge and knowing which parts to buy, but that might not be a big problem.

That's why you should read these guides thoroughly.

You'll see that afterwards, you'll have a much better understanding and global overview of the whole stuff.

You'll be then able to pick parts, and we'll be happy to give you advice.

I would humbly say you have maybe 3 or more months of learning to do before you buy any parts!! The reason i say this is some people just dive in and end up a complete mess and with a huge waste of money. There is a great deal to learn so you can enjoy your WC PC. ;) :shrug:

This is up to you!! :attn:

Regards,

AJ.

Are there kits that come with all the things you need (specifically the blocks). But that said, go custom. Read the stickies so you have a baseline of knowledge and come on back and we will help.

I don't think 3 months is needed (Ajay, are you replacing conumdrum with that advice, LOL!?!!!) but a solid base knowledge is really needed to move forward with a custom loop. Read it, read it again, they try to build one and post back here. Knowledgeable users will be more than happy to assist as always.

Yes, please read the stickies and here's a nice video to get your started. Everything is there pretty much except adding the GPU to the loop.

Maybe "ED" but that's what the man would say, lets say its in the Blood lol!!! :D :p

Thanks for the video GTXJackBauer.

Have not hade the time yet to read the stickies, but i'll have some spare time after the dinner.

To my problem.
I have two XFX 7970 GPU's with "what they call it" a Ghost cooler. In short terms, the heat is dumped into the case and the CPU runs hotter.

So the main goal is to lower the temps for my CPU.
GPU1 stays at 90c after a couple hours gaming and the 2nd one "the lower card" stays at 80c
So whats your suggestion here. Go water for both CPU and GPU? Or just CPU?

What case have you got there, and can you mount a 120mm fan on the side door between the GPU's?? Is the fan next to the IO Shield extracting air away from the Noctua's?? Just some things maybe you can look at and change to help with your Temps in the PC Case!!

scenario7b1kc.jpg

This would be something like you need to look at, before you start down the road of Water Cooling. With some up rated case fans to help cool things down!

Also de-clutter or take out anything you do not need in the case to improve airflow, like HDD Cages and tidy up any cables that can cause bad airflow.

AJ.

Thanks for the video GTXJackBauer.

Have not hade the time yet to read the stickies, but i'll have some spare time after the dinner.

To my problem.
I have two XFX 7970 GPU's with "what they call it" a Ghost cooler. In short terms, the heat is dumped into the case and the CPU runs hotter.

So the main goal is to lower the temps for my CPU.
GPU1 stays at 90c after a couple hours gaming and the 2nd one "the lower card" stays at 80c
So whats your suggestion here. Go water for both CPU and GPU? Or just CPU?

Yeah, sure np. Yeah I would advise on reading the stickies. Could take a few days to a week.

I would go with a full loop including the GPU's since they do run hot. You just need the adequate space for some radiators in the case. Not sure what case you have.

Always remember, when building a H20 rig from the start, you build it around the components you need for the rig which also includes H20 gear so you end up picking the right case. In most cases, if you already have the case you end up modifying it or hang big radiators outside.

Since you're first starting out and don't have those little "gotcha" things just laying around (barbs, etc that can really add up) I would recommend starting off with a kit like this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...mp_Included_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321

Price wise you can't beat it. You just can't get all of those components individually at that price unless you went used or something. The components also aren't proprietary, so they will work if you decide to upgrade the system later and can be upgraded individually. Also everything is copper, so you will have to worry less about corrosion (but still use corrosion inhibitors IMHO, because the barbs, solder, etc all can be of different metals - that's a discussion all in of itself though).

If you can afford to go totally custom, I certainly recommend it. I am just offering this suggestion because I think it makes the best compromise between custom and kit. It's great to "get you started" so to speak.

I don't recommend a Koolance system like what I'm using (see sig), I just am using it because it's what I had. I also recommend sticking to copper for everything regardless of what you do. It makes things easier, and cheaper in the long run.

While I'm on the subject, I'd just like to mention something people overlook when looking at water cooling... It's actually a fantastic investment. The WC unit I'm using is over 5 years old. There are few things you can get for your PC that will still be performing as well as the newest model in 5 years. The dual core computers were just getting big at that time and everyone was very impressed by them. Nobody was even thinking about a CPU that had 8 cores. Now I've got an amazing overclock on my 8 core fx8320 with the same unit that beats any modern air or "all in one" water cooling unit. Granted you may need to get newer water blocks for your components as you upgrade them, I still think it's a great investment.

Last edited:
Well i have a slightly modified Fractal Design Define R2 atm.
The HDD cage is removed since it disturbed the airflow, and my graphic cards would not fit otherwise.
So in short, the chase have
2x120mm in the front
2x140mm in the top
1x120mm in the back
1x140mm in the side panel
1x140mm in the bottom

Here some picture with my fans
11ict1i.jpg

Don't mid the two CF bridges. It's just for some benchmarking that two vs one doesn't matter :)

Going used is a great way to start out. Forum classifieds have great deals, if you don't mind used.

Since you're first starting out and don't have those little "gotcha" things just laying around (barbs, etc that can really add up) I would recommend starting off with a kit like this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...mp_Included_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321

Price wise you can't beat it. You just can't get all of those components individually at that price unless you went used or something. The components also aren't proprietary, so they will work if you decide to upgrade the system later and can be upgraded individually. Also everything is copper, so you will have to worry less about corrosion (but still use corrosion inhibitors IMHO, because the barbs, solder, etc all can be of different metals - that's a discussion all in of itself though).

If you can afford to go totally custom, I certainly recommend it. I am just offering this suggestion because I think it makes the best compromise between custom and kit. It's great to "get you started" so to speak.

I don't recommend a Koolance system like what I'm using (see sig), I just am using it because it's what I had. I also recommend sticking to copper for everything regardless of what you do. It makes things easier, and cheaper in the long run.

While I'm on the subject, I'd just like to mention something people overlook when looking at water cooling... It's actually a fantastic investment. The WC unit I'm using is over 5 years old. There are few things you can get for your PC that will still be performing as well as the newest model in 5 years. The dual core computers were just getting big at that time and everyone was very impressed by them. Nobody was even thinking about a CPU that had 8 cores. Now I've got an amazing overclock on my 8 core fx8320 with the same unit that beats any air or "all in one" water cooling unit. Granted you may need to get newer water blocks for your components as you upgrade them, I still think it's a great investment.

Thanks mate.
Look good, and available in Sweden to :)
Otherwise there's only kit from EK Waterblocks, Alphacool, Innovatek that i can get my hands on.

Going used is a great way to start out. Forum classifieds have great deals, if you don't mind used.

Yeah that was my first option, but the used market in Sweden is way to low. People who has it stick to it untill it get trowed away or brake down, cheap ******** ;)

I second an XSPC kit to start off with, but not the 750 kits. Get a D5 kit though for the Laing pump,
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ded_and_Free_Dead-Water_.html?tl=g30c321s1310

There is a kit with the EX360 rad as shown in the other link, but with the D5 pump. Also, there is a comment about the top of the res leaking, this was resolved by XSPC already with the new v4 resses, so don't get worried with that person's review.

Try a 120mm fan blowing onto the 2 cards as a Case Mod to see if the temps drop and also when you take the door off does that make any Difference as well!

We will always help you with your WC Cooling on here, just trying to look at cheaper and easy options first my friend!!

AJ.

Thanks mate.
Look good, and available in Sweden to :)
Otherwise there's only kit from EK Waterblocks, Alphacool, Innovatek that i can get my hands on.

I'm really pleased with EK products, I'd also recommend their kit just depending on what you get and how much it is.

Try a 120mm fan blowing onto the 2 cards as a Case Mod to see if the temps drop and also when you take the door off does that make any Difference as well!

We will always help you with your WC Cooling on here, just trying to look at cheaper and easy options first my friend!!

Thanks mate.
Well the temps drops dramatically if i open up the chase. At least 10c.
But another fan :/ My computer, at 100% on all fans sounds like a jet taking off, especially with the 140mm fan in the top.
I can give it a try, but my SS Siberia v2 wont keep out the sound even now.

I'm really pleased with EK products, I'd also recommend their kit just depending on what you get and how much it is.

Well here's the prices and what i can ordet atm
EK-KIT H3O 360 HFX - 351,19 USD
EK-KIT L240 - 274,81 USD
EK-KIT H3O 240 HFX - 328,28 USD
EK-KIT L360 - 297,73 USD
EK-KIT L120 - 236,62 USD
EK-KIT H3O Supreme HFX 360 Cu - 374,26 USD

Money is no problem. Just looking for something nice to start with and something easy.

I would like to chime in and say the XSPC kits are good. definitely go with the d5 kit if you do since itll give you more flexibility down the road. Once you read the stickies and figure out where you want to fall on the db/performance scale then you'll know which kit (rx, ex, ax...that is if you go that route) or components to select.

I wish I had access to the classifieds when I started (I still don't :-()then I probably would have saved some coin.

FWIW I have two rx360 kits and besides a resonating issue due to my case they are solid. I had an issue with my res leaking and two emails later XSPC had another shipped via FrozenCPU. So a good solid kit backed up by great customer service equals a win in my book

Back