• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling starter kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks again guys.
Well then. A rad outside the case would be fine. I just have to find some longer srews to bolt down a fan grill, dust filter and a fan all together :) A trip to the local hardware store and perhaps they have some.

Just wait for the parts and planing the loop meanwhile.

You can get better fans for 120mm rads than 140mm

I think i just go with Yate Loon - D14SL-12 - 140mm
They are cheap as **** and some people seems to love them :)

Anyway. I've started to look trough some parts now so i can place my order later this week. This is the list fow now, but i guarantee it will change as i read more :)

*Rad: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 FC 420 with 6 "P/P" YL - D14SL-12 1400mm fans
*CPU block: XSPC RayStorm CPU Intel Copper/Acetal
*GPU block: EK-FC7970 - Acetal CSQ "or the nickel version, don't know yet"
*Pump/Res: EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ Acetal with Alphacool VPP655
*And ofc some tubing, fitting, filters etc etc.

The only thing that worries me is the pump.
-Specifications: Materials: Stainless steel 1.4571, PPS-GF40, EPDM O-rings, Aluminium oxide, hard coal

Don't know if that aluminium will be in contact with the water, but if so. I guess i should choose another pump?

have you verified you EK GPU block at their cooling configurator? A lot of XFX cards can not be fitted with a WB

Only thing is distilled water + killcoil + some biocide and dont worry about the pump :)

as for fans:
Golden Rule(s) for Fans:
CHEAP + SILENT = NO PERFORMANCE
CHEAP + PERFORMANCE = NOT SILENT
SILENT + PERFORMANCE = NOT CHEAP

+Most SILENT CaseFans are not well suited for CPU-HS-Towers or Radiators

have you verified you EK GPU block at their cooling configurator? A lot of XFX cards can not be fitted with a WB

Only thing is distilled water + killcoil + some biocide and dont worry about the pump :)

as for fans:
Golden Rule(s) for Fans:
CHEAP + SILENT = NO PERFORMANCE
CHEAP + PERFORMANCE = NOT SILENT
SILENT + PERFORMANCE = NOT CHEAP

+Most SILENT CaseFans are not well suited for CPU-HS-Towers or Radiators

Yes, after several question and answers in another thread the conclusion was that i have reference PCB.

I have to decide if i should go with 6 x 140mm cheap fans at push pull or 3 140mm more expensive fans.

See if you can get a deal on X-Silent 140's. I purchased 6 and ended up only using 3 as they are pretty efficient and almost as quiet as the GT's. I run them at 800rpm on a 420.

See if you can get a deal on X-Silent 140's. I purchased 6 and ended up only using 3 as they are pretty efficient and almost as quiet as the GT's. I run them at 800rpm on a 420.

Thanks for the hint.
Found it at the local dealer, but the price is 3 times more then one YL - D14SL-12

Don't know if only push is effective enough on a 420 rad that will be cooling CPU and 2 GPU's

Back with a new problem that i can't figure out.

I want to go with a EK bridge between my GPU's
But i can't figure out how to mount it. Do i have to buy any fittings or does everything comes with the bridge?

The only info from EK is
Included:
- 1x EK-FC Bridge DUAL Serial 3-Slot
- 2x Plugs G/14 - Nickel plated
- 1x mounting mechanism for connecting two EK-FC Links

Has no one tried the EK bridge?
The problem with EK-FC7970 - Acetal CSQ is that you can only mount the fittings one way, and that will be downward, so if i go witn fittings only i need several 90 degrees fittings to make the loop :)

Or should i just buy another block like the XSPC Razor 7970 or Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 instead where you can mount the fittings in several ways?

Last edited:
Go with the cheaper solution or whatever you fill the need to do.

All the parts has arrived and i'm stuck at the first poblem.
I don't know how to explain the problem so i just give you a picture

DSC_0084.JPG

As you can se the gasket wont even touch the block since there's some kind of cavity.
This applies to both to my EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ Reservoir Top and EK-FC Bridge
The weird part is that i'm using EK fittings "the one with the hidden gasket", so don't understand why it doesn't fit.

Looks like the gasket will seal against the shelf just above the threads, or does the fitting not go in far enough for the gasket to reach that surface?

you have to get different fittings. On one of mine, I had the same issue. I could not get a wrench on it to tighten, but the flat areas would go down into the hole. I had a choice to tighten the fitting with pliers on the area next to the wrench area or tighten the hose and clamp tight and twist it by the hose.

Last edited:
Back