• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling starter kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As for fans sounding like jet engines, this would be a good place to start looking, not only for your case. But also if you decide to go for a WC Set up as well, So look at this and start your learning phase now! :attn:

1, http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

You can also use this Web Site to learn more about the parts you need for a Water Cooled PC. And how to use them and how they work with each other, do this take your time and read the reviews 2 or 3 times to familiarise yourself!! ;) :attn:

AJ.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Have not had the time yet to read the stickie :) I'ts hard to find spare time with a new born baby.

Anyway. Without the side panel the temps drops 3-7 degrees for the GPU's. The CPU stays the same.
The fans i'm running with atm is 4 x 120mm Noctua, 1 x 120mm Gentle typhoon, 1 x 140mm Gentle typhoon

Have not had the time yet to read the stickie :) I'ts hard to find spare time with a new born baby.

Anyway. Without the side panel the temps drops 3-7 degrees for the GPU's. The CPU stays the same.
The fans i'm running with atm is 4 x 120mm Noctua, 1 x 120mm Gentle typhoon, 1 x 140mm Gentle typhoon

You won't understand anything we are talking about if you haven't read the stickies...start there when you have time.

As for fans sounding like jet engines, this would be a good place to start looking, not only for your case. But also if you decide to go for a WC Set up as well, So look at this and start your learning phase now! :attn:

1, http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

You can also use this Web Site to learn more about the parts you need for a Water Cooled PC. And how to use them and how they work with each other, do this take your time and read the reviews 2 or 3 times to familiarise yourself!! ;) :attn:

AJ.

+1 :thup:

Congratulations! :clap:

You won't understand anything we are talking about if you haven't read the stickies...start there when you have time.

+1 :thup:

Don't hesitate to ask stupid questions btw, I asked some pretty redundant(well at least now they seem that way) questions before I took the dive and guys like Conundrum, GTXJackBauer, and others helped me with any insight into what I wanted or needed to know.

GL, I've read the stickies for years and still have never done it.

Not being sarcastic BTW.

Water and electronics in my house just has always made me a bit skittish personally, and I've made a living out of doing aircraft and military as a living as a tool and die-maker for almost 30 years.

Hobby I've never explored I guess.

All I'm saying is just be careful about what ya jump into.

This what i achieved with the help of the members in this WC Section, never done any water cooled PC's before this!!

AJ's Phase 2 no11.jpg

AJ's Phase 3 no 3.jpg

AJ's Phase 3 no 7.jpg

AJ's Phase 3 no 14.jpg

So with lots of reading and double checking parts you can do this and great things as well.

Respectfully,

AJ.

Last edited:
This what i achieved with the help of the members in this WC Section, never done any water cooled PC's before this!!

View attachment 134915

View attachment 134916

View attachment 134917

View attachment 134918

So with lots of reading and double checking parts you can do this and great things as well.

Respectfully,

AJ.

AJ did it right. Great example that just goes to show you when you do your research. Wallah! Magic!

Again, you did great AJ. :salute:

Yes you can I'm sure but I run three of these at work and do a bit of 5 axis programming, guess I just never felt it necessary in the house.

That looks beyond a hobby he he.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=CC7E6E6A07E5410952BDCC7E6E6A07E5410952BD

Wow. You can make your own water blocks and custom pieces for your rig for example. :p

Hell ya he has, I just don't have that in my house I guess :)

*edit* and yes I could, easily.

sorry looks I posted the same one twice there was a pretty slick one cutting out a turbine blade i meant to post on the second one.

Meant to put this one up there just for grins and giggles not the same machine but its kinda cool to look at.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=CC7E6E6A07E5410952BDCC7E6E6A07E5410952BD

I'd figure they have the rapid set to 5% or something for the video, or it would probably do tool changes etc a lot faster than that.

Last edited:
Ok, back from the grave.
I've done some "alot" of reading, watching youtube and searching at other forums. I guess i could read some more, but alot of the links at the "beginner's guide" are broken, and there's alot of words and terms i can't understand :)

Long story short.
I decided to wait with the water and just run air. But a couple days ago two of my fans on one of the GPU broke down. I've contacted XFX and they can't sell me new fans, and i can't make a RMA since the reseller doesn't sell the cards any more, so bye bye CF.

I've been looking at aftermarket aircooling for my 7970, but they don't come cheap. So i guess going water is in the right place now.

So here's some question that i need some help with.
Before answer, how "good looking" it will be doesn't matter. It can look like crap since it is only me who will see it. And noise, yeah as long as it down make any more sound then i have now "5x 120mm, 3x140mm and the GPU's"

*Fractal Design Define R2 I know, not the best choice, but that it was i have right now. It's made for WC, but kind of small. Will it manage to hold all the components or do i have but a new case?

*I've decided to watercool my OC'ed 3770k and both my 7970 cards. Is it enough with one loop, or do i have to go with two loops? What i found on the interwebs is that 120.1-per-block is recommended. So if i go with 140.3, will it cool my components enough?

*I know my case can hold a 140mm radiator in the top. But i'll go for push-pull, so it might be to tight. Is it stupid to have the radiator on top/outside the case? Cons except more dust and dirt in the fans/radiator?

*There's alot of materials out there. So the last question. Acetal, Nickel, Acetal + Nickel CSQ, Acetal CSQ, Copper.... What is the best material to choose from?

Anyway. I really appreciate if you have taken the time to read all my questions. I'm looking forward to build my first loop :)

That's it for now

What kind of stuff in the sticky are you having a hard time with?

*Fractal Design Define R2 I know, not the best choice, but that it was i have right now. It's made for WC, but kind of small. Will it manage to hold all the components or do i have but a new case?

*I've decided to watercool my OC'ed 3770k and both my 7970 cards. Is it enough with one loop, or do i have to go with two loops? What i found on the interwebs is that 120.1-per-block is recommended. So if i go with 140.3, will it cool my components enough?

*I know my case can hold a 140mm radiator in the top. But i'll go for push-pull, so it might be to tight. Is it stupid to have the radiator on top/outside the case? Cons except more dust and dirt in the fans/radiator?

*There's alot of materials out there. So the last question. Acetal, Nickel, Acetal + Nickel CSQ, Acetal CSQ, Copper.... What is the best material to choose from?

Most of those wouldn't be questions you could answer with the sticky...

Regardless:

Don't know anything about the case, but my general advice is figure out how much rad area you are going to need, and then see if you can fit that in your case. It's pretty straightforward.

I have come to like the 120.1 per block less and less. What matters is your heatload. Calculate how much head (including your overclock) is going need to be dissipated by the loop, and then figure out how much radiator you need from there. You'll also need to pick your fans. Start reading skinneelabs rad reviews. I'd recommend starting with the latest roundup. Martin also has some great radiator testing which you should read as well.

You can make the rad external, but then you have to figure out how to get the tubing to go back inside the case. It might become unweildy and unsightly. It kinda depends on your usage case.

The last question is pretty much answered outright in the sticky, but I'll give a bit more detail than it does, in case that was the issue. The only real issue you have to worry about with material selection is galvanic corrosion. If you have aluminum in your loop you will get galvanic corrosion quite quick. If you stick to nickel, copper, brass, and silver, you will get galvanic corrosion, but it will occur verrryyy slowly, so slowly you might not be able to perceive it in your lifetime. Acetal is just a plastic, so it won't cause corrosion and is safe to use in your loop, but be careful of cracking it, it's more fragile than the metal parts of the block. I think CSQ is just a designator EK uses for its second gen supremacy products, but I might be wrong about that.

Thanks m0r7if3r for some clarity.
I have avoided the "The Ultimate Water Cooling Thread". Just the word "Ultimate" scare the living crap out of me :)

And English is not my spoken language so i have some minor problems to fully understand everything.

well, i found some used parts that was to cheap to say no to, so i bought them.
It was a EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ Acetal that i gonna fit with a Alphacool VPP655 pump, and also a XSPC RayStorm CPU Intel block.
So just to be sure what i have to buy next "ofc from store" i have to plan my loop. I know there's alot of experienced WC guys here :)

First out. Excuse my quick draw in PS :) And don't minde the HDD bay. It's alread drilled out.

Here's a options with a 480 radiator outside the case. My R2 has premade holes for WC.
1.jpg

Instead of one 480 i can fit two 240 inside the case
2.jpg

And the last option, that could be fittet to option #1 too, since the GPU block has more restriction then the CPU block. Some Y fitting between the GPU's
3.jpg

So what do you guys think?

You don't need a y-splitter to run parallel tubing to the GPUs. All that's required is that you connect the input to the bottom card, have both ports between both cards connected, and have the output from the opposite port of the bottom card.

Ex. input left bottom GPU > left AND right ports of bottom GPU to left and right ports of top GPU > output right top GPU

That said, parallel will net you very little gains. Restriction in today's watercooling components (in particular your loop) will not be great enough to hinder the flow rate enough to negatively impact cooling with your GPUs in serial. You may see one or two degree improvement in cooling with parallel for your GPUs, but for GPUs that's really negligible. Most just prefer to have their loops in serial.

Lastly, I would say whether you use one large external rad or two internal ones is a matter of preference. If you don't mind the larger rad on the outside of your case, then go that route. If you'd rather have everything internal, then go with the two rads. Performance should be the same between the two.

Last edited:
You don't need a y-splitter to run parallel tubing to the GPUs. All that's required is that you connect the input to the bottom card, have both ports between both cards connected, and have the output from the opposite port of the bottom card.

Ex. input left bottom GPU > left AND right ports of bottom GPU to left and right ports of top GPU > output right top GPU

That said, parallel will net you very little gains. Restriction in today's watercooling components (in particular your loop) will not be great enough to hinder the flow rate enough to negatively impact cooling with your GPUs in serial. You may see one or two degree improvement in cooling with parallel for your GPUs, but for GPUs that's really negligible. Most just prefer to have their loops in serial.

Lastly, I would say whether you use one large external rad or two internal ones is a matter of preference. If you don't mind the larger rad on the outside of your case, then go that route. If you'd rather have everything internal, then go with the two rads. Performance should be the same between the two.

This is why i love to ask all my questions in one forum and not google my answers, and unfortunately it is you huys who has to point me in the right direction :)

What i could find was that GPU has WAY more restriction then a CPU block, so running with a Y splitter was the deal here.

The only cons i can see atm with having the rad outside tha case is dust, and perhaps my kid sticking his finger into tha fans.
Cons with having two rads inside the case, more tubing.

While they are more restrictive, the pump you're using is more than capable of handling it.

As sobe suggested, fan grills may help. With the rad outside it will be easier to clean out with some compressed air when it gets dusty.

It's merely preference having it inside or outside of the case really.

Back