• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Loop bleeding problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any benefits to orienting the pump on its side that you know of? Considering tearing my rig down when I replace the pump to possibly redo my layout with the pump but I don't really feel like it unless I can justify it as being better

As long as you dont mount the pump "upside down" ie with the motor (wires) upwards you're good to go.

This makes for a MUCH easier routing of the loop.

The mounting bracket that comes wiht the pump invites to use it as a "stand", but you can actually rotate the whole to mount it on a sidepanel. As long as the axis/bearing is horizontal or vertical (but not upside down) its good.

I would put the 120.2 up top and the 120.1 on the bottom or just replace it with the same 120.2 rad you have in your loop. You will see some temp improvement and possibly lower noise.

You might need to grab some 90/45 fittings and replace that horrid tubing with PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

As long as you dont mount the pump "upside down" ie with the motor (wires) upwards you're good to go.

This makes for a MUCH easier routing of the loop.

The mounting bracket that comes wiht the pump invites to use it as a "stand", but you can actually rotate the whole to mount it on a sidepanel. As long as the axis/bearing is horizontal or vertical (but not upside down) its good.

Ah my apologies. I should have specified. I meant benefits as far as easier on the pump or any performance differences within the loop besides any physical routing changes like slightly more flow etc..... I can definitely see the benefit layout wise. Looks way better that way.

Maybe I'm wrong I feel there might be some type of performance benefit possibly with the pump on its side like shown in the picture. This is all ( good/bad ?) intuition as I have no real theoretical knowledge on this subject

I've ran my pump both on it's back and side and saw no difference.

Saw no difference in what? What were you specifically looking at and how were you doing so?

I also meant standard mount straight up with the outlet on top vs. on its back with the inlet on top as in the photo I was referring to. Is this what you mean by side vs. back?

Ah my apologies. I should have specified. I meant benefits as far as easier on the pump or any performance differences within the loop besides any physical routing changes like slightly more flow etc..... I can definitely see the benefit layout wise. Looks way better that way.

Maybe I'm wrong I feel there might be some type of performance benefit possibly with the pump on its side like shown in the picture. This is all ( good/bad ?) intuition as I have no real theoretical knowledge on this subject

Believe it or not, but the D5 is actually derived from a HVAC/Central Heating pump (while the DDC is an aquarium pump). This makes it one of the most sturdy & versatile pumps. Mounting it on its back (motor down) might actually be easier on the bearing vs its "standard" horizontal mount. We should ask LAING that :)

On its Side & on its Back:
12_HP148_pg92_Stickney-4.jpg
Laing_D5_explode.jpg

The reason why it should not be installed motor UP (see below) is that the impeller might "slip off" the bearing resulting in bad to no pumping at all.
But as long as you mount horizontal or vertical (motor down) there are no performance differences that i know of (maybe LAING says otherwise?)

d5b-2_800.jpg

Saw no difference in what? What were you specifically looking at and how were you doing so?

I also meant standard mount straight up with the outlet on top vs. on its back with the inlet on top as in the photo I was referring to. Is this what you mean by side vs. back?
Correct. In the same build, with basically the same w/c parts I ran my pump in both orientations and saw now change in temps or noise. Like said above this post, the only bad way is with the motor on top. If you look through the w/c picture thread, you will see just about every way to mount that pump in case you want a little more verification.

Back