• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water pump strength question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nillie

Hi all,
first off : Let me say this is my first post here and i consider myself a watercooling novice !

I have some concerns regarding the strength of my watercooling pump and whether or not i should upgrade/alter the configuration.
I am currently using the Raijintek Triton AIO CPU watercooling solution with a custom copper 240mm slim radiator, wich has been expanded to my GPU. I opted for this solution because i am using a Mini-ITX setup and have limited space for bigger reservoir/pump combo's. Having the reservoir, pump and block all in the same location right in the center of the case where space is plentifull is a positive.
The pump on the AIO cpu cooler supposedly has a 120 liters per hour capacity. With the current setup my temperatures on both CPU and GPU are acceptable.
But since i plan to upgrade my GPU to a more powerfull card with waterblock, and i also plan to overclock the system, i was considering of adding a secondary 240mm radiator to the loop. The space taken in by this radiator + fans is not really suited to house a reservoir+pump combo because it would have to be mounted horizontally which would cause problems. I can probably mount a small pump in the bottom of the case however, providing a good multifunctional mounting bracket is included. I have basic tools, but the case is mostly plastic and not verry suited for customization and pre-drilling holes.

To get to the point : Will the current pump be able to provide enough flow for a dual radiator setup + GPU and CPU block? Or is it recommended to switch to a pump with more capacity? Since its a compact Mini-ITX system there are a few 90 degree fittings to consider, but there is not much tubing obviously. Altough i would like a good flow, i also dont want any overkill for obvious reasons. I would switch off the pump on the AIO cooler and use it strictly as a reservoir/cpu cooler, while using a custom pump to provide flow.

Or : i stick to the AIO pump

Seeing as most popular pumps seem to have flow rates of anywhere between 200 to 400+ liters per hour, i assume that my current pump is underperforming? Will this performance affect my loop up to the point where temperatures are going to be highly affected by it? Or to the point where the pump might suffer damage? If so, than i would appreciate any pump suggestions that would be great for Mini-ITX form factor.
I have 2x120mm predrilled fan holes in the bottom of my case which are not being used, and can be utilized for mounting brackets or other mounting solutions, but again : space is limited as the psu, SSD bracket and a whole bunch of sleeved cable are already taking up most of it.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use that pump for anything besides the original loop.

Check out Swiftech, they have a pump/res built in to a radiator.

I wouldn't use that pump for anything besides the original loop.

Check out Swiftech, they have a pump/res built in to a radiator.

Thanks for your input. I already had doubts when i first added the GPU, but my temperatures under load where actually better than expected so getting a dedicated pump did not seem immediatly needed. But like i said, now i am truly planning to go ahead with it.

I had considered the Swiftech MCR220 Drive Rev3 radiator/pump/reservoir combo but at 325mm it is too big to fit inside the available space. Other options are either too wide and bulky, or simply too expensive.

Any other suggestions are welcome !

Can we get a list of your PC and than a list of your cooling as well as what case you're using and a image of your setup. Might be even more helpful by drawing out what you want to do in that said image as well otherwise we're going into this blind.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

Can we get a list of your PC and than a list of your cooling as well as what case you're using and a image of your setup. Might be even more helpful by drawing out what you want to do in that said image as well otherwise we're going into this blind.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

Here is the equipment i am currently using :

Case & relevant hardware :
-Gainward GTX970 refference (will be updated to a more powerfull card that will most likely be longer : Hence additional space restrictions).
-Corsair Carbide Air 240 case
-Asus Impact VII motherboard
-Corsair sleeved cable set for RM850 psu

Watercooling parts :
-Raijintek Triton AIO
-XSPC 240mm slim radiator
-EK FC970 GTX wateblock/backplate
-current default fittings might be replaced with angled ones where needed.

Since my PC is oriented in a cube setup, the picture below is with the PC standing in its normal position. So the picture is actually taken from above.
This makes it so that the current "reservoir", beeing the Triton, is actually sitting pretty low in the case, almost forcing a possible pump to placed in the lower compartment of the case.
Space in this second compartment is almost non existent due to the large amount of cable, the SSD bays and the RM 850 PSU. I dont have a picture of this area but you can surely find one if you google the Air 240. I can always make room for a pump, but getting a reservoir in there would be impossible without switching to shortened flat PSU cables and some reorganisation or even customization of the case itself.

The lower area in the picture (effectively the left side of the case in this setup) has room for a second 240mm radiator with single fans. I would remove the fans at the front of the current radiator and place them on the new radiator, so there would be 25mm extra clearance at the front. I hope this clears things up a bit !

http://cdn.overclock.net/c/c1/c1a3355e_20150909_175931.jpeg

PS : had to link the image because it was too large. Please note that my current setup is mainly configured for running silent rather than cool. I dont wanna go for the coolest possible temperatures. I just want healthy temperatures with as little noise as possible.

Given the space limitations in the lower compartment i was considering getting this pump and installing it directly below the reservoir in the second compartment. I would than disengage the pump on the triton so that it does no longer add unwanted heat to the loop, and use this pump as a standalone for the entire loop, including a secondary 240mm radiator.
http://www.swiftech.com/MCP50X.aspx#tab1

Again : Im worried this pump might be overkill for such a small loop, and that it will pump the coolant into the Triton reservoir/block with too much force, seeing as the default pump on this cooler is so weak.

Last edited:
Back