• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water reservoir level sensor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm.. didn't think of the problem of having all themopen... I will have to order some and play around with them.. I can pack in up to 8. so that is what I will do. Yeah I like the idea of having the water and flooter/magnet in the middle of the cylinder.. or should i just do what schmide suggests? buy the other thing?

smallcontrolunit.jpg

This is how mine looked.

It may be butt ugly, but whose butt are we talking about?

Last edited:
trend, I'm still confused about your level measurements. How small is this reservior? You said that you needed sensors at 0ml, 14ml, 19ml, 25ml, and 40ml. A Coke/Pepsi can is 355ml (or 12 ounces). So your reservior is 1/9th the size of a soda can?

Using your ml settings, here are the heights you would set your sensors for a 1" diameter pipe and a 2" diameter pipe:

1" diameter pipe --> 0", 1.09", 1.48", 1.94", and 3.11"
2" diameter pipe --> 0", 0.27", 0.37", 0.49", and 0.78"

Edward2 said:
trend, I'm still confused about your level measurements. How small is this reservior? You said that you needed sensors at 0ml, 14ml, 19ml, 25ml, and 40ml. A Coke/Pepsi can is 355ml (or 12 ounces). So your reservior is 1/9th the size of a soda can?

Using your ml settings, here are the heights you would set your sensors for a 1" diameter pipe and a 2" diameter pipe:

1" diameter pipe --> 0", 1.09", 1.48", 1.94", and 3.11"
2" diameter pipe --> 0", 0.27", 0.37", 0.49", and 0.78"

Could you do me a favor and recalculate with a 1/4 rod running down the middle of the 2" pipe.

Luckily I saved the Excel spreadsheet I used to run the calculations, so it was not difficult to update. The 1/4" diameter rod running down the middle of a 2" diameter pipe does not make much of a difference at all.

2" diameter pipe -------> 0", 0.272", 0.369", 0.486", and 0.777"
2" pipe with 1/4" rod --> 0", 0.276", 0.375", 0.493", and 0.789"

hmm.. well when measuring the diameter of a cylinder, you would measure from outside to outside (so including the pvc).. so wouldn't you have to know the thinkness of the material to figure out where the sensors should be?

and Also, What diameter would be optimum? I just bought a pvc pipe that is almost 7/8s of an inch in diameter..

thanks-L:ee

trend said:
hmm.. didn't think of the problem of having all themopen... I will have to order some and play around with them.. I can pack in up to 8. so that is what I will do. Yeah I like the idea of having the water and flooter/magnet in the middle of the cylinder.. or should i just do what schmide suggests? buy the other thing?

Having all the switches open isn't really a problem... just take it into consideration when writing the software.

trend, you are correct about the thickness of the PVC. You would have to know the ID of the PVC pipe in order to calculate the desired heights for each of the sensors. The smaller the ID of the pipe, the more variation you would get between the sensors. As for what size is optimum, it would depend on a variety of things (room you have available, being able to put a float in the pipe, etc.).

squeakygeek said:
Trend, you still haven't told us what you are doing! Give us some details!

No doubt. Spill it dude.

And you say having the circuit open won't be a problem as long as it is taken into consideration in the software? If that's true, made things a little easier.

Borisw37 said:
pport.JPG

3 simple switches shown, but can be up to 8.

using simple software found here
what do you think people?

The resistors will have to be About 5k ohm. Dont have to be exact. (3-7kohm should work just as good).

If you are doing it in cad, i woudl like cad and bitmap (bitmap expoort from cad?).. but if just bitmap, bitmap is good

thanks-Lee

Trend, you gota tell us what you are doing. This is becoming a mystery... lol
why are you going to have fluctuating water levels in your system.

I am in the process of designing an external box that will control upto 3 computers with sensors and alarms and switches and stuff. It will have 3 indepandent loops with independant control for each pump and ciruits. What i posted above is what i'm going to use for level indicators.

hmm.. what device is used there to tell where water is?

anyone have an idea of a good float device for my magnet in my cylinder?

thanks_Lee

aynone see where I can get the kit? I sure didn't see it

thanks-Lee

Back