• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water reservoir level sensor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
neilmon2 said:
here is a nice diagram, you can even buy the kit

6.gif

Here is a link to the kit

http://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/alarmsimages/alarmsckt6.shtml

trend,

IMO this is a better option than a TLI. No moving parts at all.

Besides...

I know this sounds very unlikely... You know that drawing I was working on? Well, My system decided to leak and take my RAID card with it. Everything on the array was lost including the drawing.

But I redrew the schematic that Borisw37 made, and incorporated electrodes instead of reed switches (same difference).

EDIT: forgot the freakin' drawing

res.JPG

Last edited:
ok, cool. coming from you, I am 100percent sure now i want to do this new idea.. i just don't know how/what to get those gates.

hmm.. can someone help a brother out? i lookd on the link, and i couldn't find a kit on there.. did i overlook it?

thanks_Lee

You don't need the kit, just a handfull of 5 K ohm resistors. That is unless you want the flashy lights and all. Check out the drawing two post above that I forgot to include the last time.

oh ok, i just didn't understand what was going on.. well, my only concern is, what if i kick it, or shack it, couldn't the water touch 2 of the input (left side of res) powers and just touch one of the outputs (right side of res) and fry my parallel board? or would the resisters help me out?

thanks_Lee

The water could splash and connect the two circuits, but if you put a timer circuit between the sensor and the parelell port then the connection would have to be made for a certian amount of time depending on the circuit for the singal to be sent to the to the parellel port.

neilmon2 said:
The water could splash and connect the two circuits, but if you put a timer circuit between the sensor and the parelell port then the connection would have to be made for a certian amount of time depending on the circuit for the singal to be sent to the to the parellel port.

Why waste money on a timer circuit when this could easily be done with software? Except for specific details, I think all of the hardware has been worked out. Any innovations that need to be made can be done with software.

yeah, i think i will just do it with software. I just don't want it to short circuit anything.. i guess that was my main concern...

thanks-Lee

hmm.. looking to buy the pump right now for my setup.. but cannot find what you'll told me i should get... I have searched this thread many times. what was the type of pump that will push water through whe on, and when off, it will let water flow eitherway easily?

thanks-Lee

trend said:
hmm.. looking to buy the pump right now for my setup.. but cannot find what you'll told me i should get... I have searched this thread many times. what was the type of pump that will push water through whe on, and when off, it will let water flow eitherway easily?

thanks-Lee

I believe any impeller based pump will let water flow either direction when turned off.

Hey from what i remember in school, doesn't a parallel port need a clock signal for the data to be read? Data is read on the rising edge isn't it?

Also with the water completing the circuit for the level indicator, doesn't that mean that there are ions in the water. Wouldn't this corrode your WC system like crazy?

The liquid level sensor I have is a solid state. (can't do a direct link as you need to start a session), but go here www.rswww.com and type 317-803 it their search engine. Not used it yet so can't comment on it further, but it works in testing. It has no moving parts and is fully sealed / inert to the coolant.

As the description says it simply works on light refraction, so when the sensor is under the water level it's fine if the level drops below the sensor part it affects the light refraction and triggers the sensor to trip.

BladeRunner said:
The liquid level sensor I have is a solid state. (can't do a direct link as you need to start a session), but go here www.rswww.com and type 317-803 it their search engine. Not used it yet so can't comment on it further, but it works in testing. It has no moving parts and is fully sealed / inert to the coolant.

As the description says it simply works on light refraction, so when the sensor is under the water level it's fine if the level drops below the sensor part it affects the light refraction and triggers the sensor to trip.

crap, well i have to have it hookup to the computer.. dangit.. now we have to redesign it a little :( thought I was finished

thanks-Lee

I'm not suggesting you have to use one :p its just another option and it would probably be very reliable, because its solid state & sealed.

The downside is it's not the cheapest solution....

I think the one I have has three wires so it has a common with NC / NO contacts so it can be wired either way. As its basically a small realy switch it could be used to switch a power relay or a warning or any temp probe, fan, etc.

Gentleman said:
Hey from what i remember in school, doesn't a parallel port need a clock signal for the data to be read? Data is read on the rising edge isn't it?

Also with the water completing the circuit for the level indicator, doesn't that mean that there are ions in the water. Wouldn't this corrode your WC system like crazy?

are these problems something to worry about? aka 4real

Well if parallel port needs a clock signal to send data, you need a 555 timer or something to send that signal. Well, if your WC is all copper then the ions won't do much except maybe copper plate the ends of your immersed resistors because of the potential voltage drop across it. Also if the ground of your circuit is common with the ground of your PS, leakage current will occur between your WB through the ionized water, towards the +5V on your immersed resistors. Just a few potential problems that might occur.

I am pretty sure you dont need the clock to send data. You are not really sending data, you are applying a constant +5v, or 0v. So u use software to read the voltages on the parallel port, and each instant (frequency dictated by the software, or the parallel port capabilities)

Doesn't the parallel port look like a memory when programing? You can read from it and write data to it. Doesn't it have its own address in memory? And this memory location is refreshed on a rising edge of a dedicated clock signal. Isn't this the difference between parallel and serial? Parallel requires the source and destination to have the same clock speed. Where as serial uses "handshaking" to determine when a data word is sent.

Back