• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water, Wood, and PCs Oh MY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShortyDoo

Registered
Ok so I started off reading and asking questions. It was so fun sifting through as many threads as I could. Some would say I was a bit obsessed.

Well any this is my build. I tried to take as many pictures of progress as I went but sometimes I just got too into the build and forgot :shrug: I had free time towards the end of my summer and I had the itch to build something. The drawer on my old desk was falling apart so instead of a $1 fix I decided to build a new one. I thought it would be cool to put a computer inside a desk. I am all too familiar with the old adage that if you have an idea chances are there are others with that same idea. With that I hit the interwebz to see what others had done (why reinvent the wheel when you can just improve on it). I saw a lot of attempts and successes after a good google image search so I started to design my own. I started off with an air cooling idea but just as soon as I finished that design I came across the Cross desk by Red Harbinger. Well that just flipped me on my head! this is what came from that

The original goal did not change. 2 computers in a desk, one to use as a server and the other as a general pc (I don't really game much) but both the builds had to be quiet as a mouse. So I went watercooling...my wallet hurts

I wanted a desk made of wood and somewhat blended in with my furniture. Fun was had

Main PC
Asus Sabertooth 990fx 2.0
AMD FX-8350
8GB Gskill Ares
EVGA Superclocked 660
Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD
EK 660 GTX Full Cover Block
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
D5 Vario pump/res combo
RX360 Radiator
3 Gentle Typhoon in Push Config
XSPC 7/16 x 5/8 tubing ---> quickly replaced with Primochill after I had bad plasticiser issues
Antec Earthwatts Green 650 Powersupply W/fan replaced with a Gentle Typhoon
Rosewill powered USB 3.0 hub
Logiteck MK 270 combo (I absolutely hate the mouse...will get changed soon)
Windows 8 Pro

Second PC/Server
Intel DG33tl
Q6700
8GB DDR2 Corsair
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
D5 Vario pump/res combo
RX360 Radiator
3 Gentle Typhoon in Push config
Primochill 7/16 x 5/8 tubing (see above)
Rosewill Green Series Power Supply 430w W/ fan replaced with a Gentle Typhoon
1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue
1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
2 TB Seagate Barracuda XT
1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda
Logitech MK 550 (big keyboard but awesome mouse!!)
Windows 8 Pro

Shared Components
NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller
4 Gentle Typhoon fans
FrozenQ Dual Chamber Reservoir
Monitor - 40" Samsung LCD UN40ES6100

Coolant
Distilled Water
Mayhems Blue
Mayhems UV CLear
Dead Water

Fittings/Misc Parts
Bitspower 7/16 x 5/8 Compression fittings
XSPC 7/16 x 5/8 Compression fittings
XSPC 90degree rotary fittings
AlphaCool 90degree adapters
Phobya 45degree rotary fitting
24gauge wire to extend fan wires
Mod/Smart Sleeved cable extensions
Bitfenix Sleeved Sata adapters
Logisys UV cathodes

The Desk
Pine
Silverstone Filtered Fan Grilles
Minwax Classic Black stain
screws (lol no seriously between 1/4" to 1 1/2")
small hinges

The first arrival
picture.php

this is what was inside..
picture.php

More Boxes
picture.php

ooo look! fittings!
picture.php

my Fedex/UPS people hate me I'm sure
picture.php

TAP Plastics really ships their stuff well I must say
picture.php

Getting a real life idea on placement (paper only gets me so far)
picture.php

Now lets puts some stuff together
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now lets see how some of this fits (only had 1 rx360 so I had to move it around)
picture.php

Fans and Fittings
picture.php

Ok lets cut some stuff!!!! (still have all my fingers? check!)
picture.php

picture.php

Now to check the fit...Yay so far so good
picture.php

What about the GPU? Yup that fits too
picture.php

Top pieces cut and fitted
picture.php

picture.php

Lets see how she looks together
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finished Staining and test fitting the TAP Plastics Acrylic top
picture.php

Putting together the loop and testing the cathodes
picture.php

Slowly Coming together!!!!
picture.php

hinged rear panels installed...
picture.php

Leak/Glow/I got bored test (main Res not installed more on that in a sec)
picture.php

What was to be the final piece
picture.php

Oh not its leaking everywhere! Had to send it back for repairs or a replacement. Haven'tgotten it back yet...been about a month but it should be here within a couple days!!! Right now both loops are running without it (d5vario/res combo on both) you can see the XSPC tubing in the front too...gross

Installing OS, drivers and other necessary things..Windows 8 Pro, Plex, FileZilla etc
picture.php

good thing I have a laptop otherwise I would have been without a computer for a few months...scary thought

As of right now I am waiting for the FrozenQ res to come back and my remaining Gentle Typhoons to come in to replace the XSPC fans on the rads...

This is The Desk 1.0, I already have plans for adjustments such as a cutout for my legs (I'm 6'2" so I'd like a weebit more clearance), might find a block for my 9800gt to throw on the server since its very laggy at 720p...not that I use it that much but just because. I probably will bite the bullet and order a glass panel to replace the acrylic top...it looks pretty but it scratches easily.

Thats it for now! 3rd year of law school started so free time doesn't come in large blocks anymore. Any and all criticism is welcome and suggestions too. Like I always say this is the interwebz and I'm a big boy now :attn:

Last edited:
Still no pics?

I had the album set to private so hopefully me changing it to public remedies the problem...

edit: nope...When I look at the post in the edit view I can see the IMG tags and corresponding link but the pics aren't showing up. I coppied the BB code from the album and it matches. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Do you need like 5 or 10 posts to be able to post pics on this website?

Hopefully it gets sorted soon, I wanna see pics!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't think about that..perhaps. I'm more of a lurker, admirer, reader than I am a poster...unless I think I really can help someone that is

edit: looks like they are up! YaY!

Last edited:
I can see it now. WpW! Amazing work sir. :salute:

Really like what you did there. A lawyer with workshop experience. Awesome.

Sorry about the leaked FrozenQ. I could've warned you about them. At least you caught it now and not down the road which could've been catastrophic. I'll never buy anything from them again. Their quality is crap. Customer service barely exist. They are in competition with china on who's the worse one. Sad thing is they are based in States too.

Awesome man, congrats on a job well done!
Keep us updated :)

all I can say is AWSOME!!!!!!!!

Nice work!

Wow! Very well done. I love the glass top.

Thanks everyone! I will definitely keep you updated...besides I wouldn't have known where to start if I didnt come here! I have a couple more pictures and once the 1.0 phase is done I will do a finished photo shoot lights on off and everything.

I see a bunch :confused:

Looks good though, I like it :thup: Nice flip flops too!

haha thanks...and they are quite comfortable

I can see it now. WpW! Amazing work sir. :salute:

Really like what you did there. A lawyer with workshop experience. Awesome.

Sorry about the leaked FrozenQ. I could've warned you about them. At least you caught it now and not down the road which could've been catastrophic. I'll never buy anything from them again. Their quality is crap. Customer service barely exist. They are in competition with china on who's the worse one. Sad thing is they are based in States too.

Yeah I try to be a patient person but sometimes people push your limits. I am glad I caught it at the beginning because its a 5 inch cube aka a decent amount of water.

I have a few setbacks not related to the frozenq res though :(

1. My XSPC res/D5 vario combo sprung a leak at the top seam (i run them sideways for fit and tubing ease) so its a slow but noticeable. Its shut down for now and I'll try to get a hold of someone in the warranty department with XSPC about it.
2. I cant for the life of me figure out why these things whine/hum the way they do. I have them isolated on 3-4 layers of foam measuring about 2 inches thick and they sound like...well to imagine it think if someone was blow drying their hair 2 or so rooms away.
The sound varies from setting to setting and pretty much disappears at setting 1 BUT im afraid of flow issues with it set that low.
I'd hate to have to move to 2 different pumps but I havent hit my silence goal so I'll have to keep tinkering.

Lastly, what do you all think of this? Taking the d5 vario apart from the dual bay res (if possible) and see if I can attach the tubing directly to the pump...this is when I get the FrozenQ res of course.

Yeah I try to be a patient person but sometimes people push your limits. I am glad I caught it at the beginning because its a 5 inch cube aka a decent amount of water.

I have a few setbacks not related to the frozenq res though :(

1. My XSPC res/D5 vario combo sprung a leak at the top seam (i run them sideways for fit and tubing ease) so its a slow but noticeable. Its shut down for now and I'll try to get a hold of someone in the warranty department with XSPC about it.
2. I cant for the life of me figure out why these things whine/hum the way they do. I have them isolated on 3-4 layers of foam measuring about 2 inches thick and they sound like...well to imagine it think if someone was blow drying their hair 2 or so rooms away.
The sound varies from setting to setting and pretty much disappears at setting 1 BUT im afraid of flow issues with it set that low.
I'd hate to have to move to 2 different pumps but I havent hit my silence goal so I'll have to keep tinkering.

Lastly, what do you all think of this? Taking the d5 vario apart from the dual bay res (if possible) and see if I can attach the tubing directly to the pump...this is when I get the FrozenQ res of course.

Yeah, you're not alone on the running into issues when you think everything is finally said and done. Welcome to the water cooling world in other words. lol

For one, there was a bad batch of XSPC or bad by design that caused the reservoirs to warp earlier this year. We had quite a few complaints here about them. It's unfortunate but it happens. It's possible that was the cause of the leak. Try to get your money back and get another reservoir like a Monsoon Series 2 DD5 pump mount. That's if you're only running a single pump. I'd trust a XSPC even though I own one over a FrozenQ but that's just my 2 cents.

As for the noise, are you talking about the D5 pump with the XSPC reservoir installed or standalone? I assume these are two separate loops so are both pumps at the same time at speed 1? I've heard from others who do own the D5 that its pretty quiet even at speed 4 but is pretty audible at speed 5.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're not alone on the running into issues when you think everything is finally said and done. Welcome to the water cooling world in other words. lol

Haha another hobby that never actually has a completion date...see car, home theater, weight training :bang head ahh but its fun and i like to tinker so I'm ok with it.

For one, there was a bad batch of XSPC or bad by design that caused the reservoirs to warp earlier this year. We had quite a few complaints here about them. It's unfortunate but it happens. It's possible that was the cause of the leak. Try to get your money back and get another reservoir like a Monsoon Series 2 DD5 pump mount. That's if you're only running a single pump.

Interesting I bought it as apart of the XSPC kit from FrozenCPU, i knew i didnt need the res but i also knew I wanted the rad and the block that was in the kit and martin's review and what i read on here were pretty good on the pump. I'm just glad i caught the leak and XSPC has a good rep from what ive seen that I'd have no issue going with a replacement especially since I doubt they would just give me a standalone pump instead

I am running two pumps one one each loop. The FrozenQ res is one cube with dual chambers, one for each loop. That's not even in the system yet since the first one couldnt hold water (its only function mind you).

I'd trust a XSPC even though I own one over a FrozenQ but that's just my 2 cents.
we live an we learn. If another person researching their own build comes across this thread and learns then I am happy to have taken the hit for the greater good.

As for the noise, are you talking about the D5 pump with the XSPC reservoir installed or standalone?

yes the D5 Vario ( http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-rx360-watercooling-kit )

I assume these are two separate loops so are both pumps at the same time at speed 1? I've heard from others who do own the D5 that its pretty quiet even at speed 4 but is pretty audible at speed 5.

yup definitely two separate loops. both pumps are not at the same setting. I played around with the speed on each to get them to a semi tolerable level until I could get them mouse quiet. 4 is definitely audible and 5 wasn't even an option. I'd bite the bullet and spend 400 on two new pumps before I try to sleep through those puppies at setting 5.

Setting 1 is quiet I will admit that but I don't know if the flow is enough. I guess since I have one functional loop I can test it and see what my temps are (I use CoreTemp, I dont have a flow meter or any other device to see actual flow). For example I am sitting about 10-12 feet from the desk and I can hear the pump over my laptop fan sitting on my lap at full speed. Its a different pitch but definitely not the quiet I was going for.

My newly formed theory born about 4 seconds ago
perhaps the pump noise coupled with the fact that its is sitting in essentially a ported enclosure (my car audio knowledge kicking in) is amplifying the problem. I have never run the pump/res outside the case.

I'm going to test out setting 1 and hope that my temps are stable (the server is all thats running but the q6700 isnt a cool chip so still a valid test) if that doesnt work I will try a layer of sound deadner and report back. Any other suggestions you may have will be tried as well because like I said before I am a tinkerer!!

sorry that my posts are long...I like to be umm thorough for myself and for anyone who finds this post later (gotta share knowledge so expensive pitfalls are avoided)

What kinda foam?

Try the stuff they sell to put underneath stuff in machine shops and underneat washing machines... its heavy and 1-2" thick and made of recycled tyres to damp vibrations.

Back