• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't worry about it. If you want to spend $20+ each 6 months when you do the recommended coolant flush etc, so be it.

Vs $2.

Use what you want, this gets so old, we have preached for years. I ran distilled, Petras PHN Nuke, and killcoils for TWO years without rebuilding my loop or draining ONCE.

If you hang out and read and learn for a few months before deciding you might of found this:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734842

This post sound familiar?
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7534428&postcount=15

Don't worry about it. If you want to spend $20+ each 6 months when you do the recommended coolant flush etc, so be it.

Vs $2.

Use what you want, this gets so old, we have preached for years. I ran distilled, Petras PHN Nuke, and killcoils for TWO years without rebuilding my loop or draining ONCE.

If you hang out and read and learn for a few months before deciding you might of found this:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734842

This post sound familiar?
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7534428&postcount=15

I did see that posting along with other posts that haven't run into any issues with galvanic corrosion. At the same time I've also seen posts where there has been an issue (including on Martin's article whom you mentioned as a trusted source). He mentions that it's not a question of "if", but "when". I understand that the "when" in your case is greater than 2 years, but that doesn't always seem to be the case. Thus, I don't mind paying the $13 periodically to reduce the risk, my concern was if there was any downside to that specific EK coolant (outside of cost).

Also, I have also been reading and learning for close to a year now, ever since I bought my Level 10 case that came with the Thermaltake LCS (and I quickly learned how poor the quality of that kit was) . I haven't made any posts until now, because this is my first time picking out parts for my own water cooled system, but I have spent a lot of time on research.

Last edited:
Great, now we know you been learning. You never know what we deal with, it is the 'Internets' and you just been here this month. You wouldn't believe the folks we get at times, I'm pretty careful about assuming any level of 'smarter than the leading edge of a bowling ball'.

Keep at it. Keep educating and keep asking the smart questions, be glad to help.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I ordered the parts last night.

I switched the reservoir to the Monsoon Series Two D5 Premium Dual, and I added some Koolance quick disconnects, but kept everything else as posted above.

I'll post some pictures and log my build when I put it together.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I ordered the parts last night.

I switched the reservoir to the Monsoon Series Two D5 Premium Dual, and I added some Koolance quick disconnects, but kept everything else as posted above.

I'll post some pictures and log my build when I put it together.

Good to hear m8! :salute:

Can't wait to see some pics. :thup:

I just received some of my parts, and the pump I ordered looks used.

I've attached some pictures, would you guys mind taking a look to see if it's supposed to look like that when purchased new? I ordered it from performance-pcs.com

It looks like there are some scratches on the centre black part, and the surrounding metal part looks a bit discoloured as well.

Thanks.

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

Looks like molding marks. The gold spot is for the pump to monitor RPMs.

I'd run it. If your not happy send this thread to PPC and ask them. You can always RMA it, it's not used.

But those discolored spots on the metal makes me wonder........... My new D5 wasn't like that......

Could have been through a test run but they should've make it look nicer. Are those dry water spots?

What do you think Jack new or Recon unit, my gut feeling is Recon unit??? AJ.

Some what off the subject you could include Seasonic as well.

Last edited:
What do you think Jack new or Recon unit, my gut feeling is Recon unit??? AJ.

Hard to say. I don't know if these are new MCP's that have been around for some time and all they did was modify them to PWM or they were PWM straight from the factory. It looks used or possibly tested and they did a bad job at cleaning it.

QC doesn't exist in China unless you got a westerner watching over them from my understanding. And the same goes for Customer Service/Warranties. That's why I'd rather pay more on a product from a company in the states because you're paying for great service. For example EVGA and Corsair.

TBH i dont like it, it seems like a recon (is that flaking on the inner ring at the left bottom?)
What's the condition of the box it came in (the inside, traces of multiple removal/reseating? Moisture?)
If you've ordered this from PPC, post them pix overthere, see what they say.

The box was just a plain white box, it didn't look like it was designed specifically for the pump. Does it usually come in something different?

I contacted them, and this is the response I got:

Hi

Yes we have been through this before with other customers. We find this actually quite often with the pumps here. If you want the modshop can get with you Monday and show you others from the box that look just like this. It does not affect the use of performance of the pump. That is just the way they send them.

Best Regards

I don't mind the appearance (it'll be hidden inside the res anyways), but I want to make sure I didn't get ripped off paying for a new product and receiving a refurb/recon. I want to be sure it has the same expected life as a new unused product.

Apparently, it is supposed to look like that. I confirmed with the manufacturer as well, and this is the response I got:
Being that all of these pumps are tested and leak-checked they will all look pretty much just like this. I can assure you that this is a brand new pump unit.

Regards,

I didn't realize it until a few days ago when I started to put my build together, but PerformancePCs forgot to include the compression fittings that I ordered with the reservoir. When I contacted them they asked for a copy of the packing slip which I sent in (Thursday) but I haven't heard back from them. How long should I give them to respond before opening a dispute with my credit card company?

Sure, small companies might take it off. Don't fret it. My mechanic and his shop, 12 people took off Fri-Mon. Maybe the reply person took a 1/2 day off.

Things take time. Your emergency does not constitute an emergency for them. Your one of many.

In a week you have no luck, let me know, I have drank beer with the Swiftech CEO and might help, maybe.

Sure, small companies might take it off. Don't fret it. My mechanic and his shop, 12 people took off Fri-Mon. Maybe the reply person took a 1/2 day off.

Things take time. Your emergency does not constitute an emergency for them. Your one of many.

In a week you have no luck, let me know, I have drank beer with the Swiftech CEO and might help, maybe.

Still no reply from PPC.

Back