• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling high end build - revised

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joseph

Registered
Hi all,

I decided it probably better to start a new thread from my old one since I had changed the spec a good bit and changed components based on advice received.

So I'm hoping to get some more advice on what I've provisionally decided on below, please feel free to make comments and suggestions and I'll do my best to take it all in

Just to bare in mind, my aim is to have a medium between overclocking and noise reduction, so I will be overclocking slightly on the following

**I'm hoping to have the following done in one loop, I hope I can receive further advise on this as I'm using a high quality pump etc and only cooling 3 components

**Another thing I'd appreciate some piece of mind on is that I've selected the correct tubing/fitting sizes, I'm going for 1/2" (I'm a little mixed up between ID and OD?)

**Another question I have is regarding the fans, I am thinking about using two 360 rads (one for cpu and one for 2x GFX) and I was wondering is just attaching fans to one side of the rad acceptable?

What I'm going to be watercooling:
Intel i7 970 6 Core CPU
EVGA GTX 590 Hydro Edition
EVGA GTX 590 Hydro Edition

Watercooling equipment I'm going to use:
Laing D5 Vario Pump 12v 1/2" ID
EK-Supreme HF Full Copper Universal CPU Block
XSPC RX360 Black High Performance Radiator (x2)
Bitspower Matt Black Compression Fitting CC5 For ID 1/2" (x6)
Bitspower 1/4" BSPP - 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Rotary 45 Degree Comp (x6)
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir for Laing D5
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM (x6 - 3 for each 360 rad in push config)
Masterkleer hose PVC 19/13mm (1/2" ID) UV White
EK-UNI RAD Holder (for attaching the other GFX rad outside the case - would this be suitable?)
Distilled water + PT nuke

Appreciate any help/advice :)

Last edited:
Wrong res. You picked a DDC res, you have a D5 pump.

Otherwise looking pretty good.

Deionized water and silver or Petras PHN Nuke. Unless you can get distilled cheap, don't really matter.

Not sure about the fans.

Your tubing's not the best, but it's by no means bad...just FYI. Res and pump issue con hit on. Fans are ok, they're pretty overpriced for their rad performance, but there's not a lot you can do with GT1850's out of stock EVERYWHERE. Push-pull with your fans isn't necessary, but you will see a 10-30% boost in cooling power from push-pull. Have you looked into making shrouds?

Is that the same rad skinnee tested? If so I would seriously consider some 1400 rpm fans. Just running numbers through my head, errors are probably likely, but 1200 is only giving you ~100 watts spare without overclocking. Seems to be cutting it close, me thinks. :shrug:

• Have the correct reservoir picked out - thanks
  • Should be able to get distilled water no problem - I presume that has all the necessary stuff in it?
  • Just on the fans, I can get my hands on GT1450s and GT1850s, but given I am going for a noise reduction/overclocking mix would the 1850s not be too loud? Perhaps the 1450s would be better, their 3dB louder than the Noctua fans I've picked out.

Ignore db ratings. You have no idea where they measured from to get that. In other words a fan measured from 3" away has a db of 40 db might actually be quieter than a fan with a rating of 25 db from 12" away.

Past that, 1400 ish fans are never loud and 1450's wouldn't be either. I think you will be much better off there.

Fwiw, the 200mm fans on my case can be adjusted by 200 rpm, and I seriously can't detect any extra noise from them. Sound the same.

• Have the correct reservoir picked out - thanks
  • Should be able to get distilled water no problem - I presume that has all the necessary stuff in it?
  • Just on the fans, I can get my hands on GT1450s and GT1850s, but given I am going for a noise reduction/overclocking mix would the 1850s not be too loud? Perhaps the 1450s would be better, their 3dB louder than the Noctua fans I've picked out.

Update your list for the res you chose, edit it, I'll double check what you picked.
If your going for a D5 res/pump, PLEASE look at the Danger Den Monsoon res for that pump. Pricy, but VERY VERY nice. MANY different color schemes.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/04/02/danger-den-monsoon-premium-d5-bay-reservoir/

You'll be fine with those GPU's and CPU with some quiet fans. The ones you chose would be fine. The GT 1450 would be fine. Mind you many of us slow the fans down anyway. I run 1850s on my rads, but have them at 970ish on my CPU loop and 1200ish on my GPU loop. So the 1450s if you can get them would be plenty fine.

The trick, if your REALLY dig in, is what the GTs do. They have good pressure CFM, and they have a very pleasing decible, aka subjective 'pleasing' sound. Thats why they are so popular.

Hopefully you have bookmarked this site. If not, you ain't been doing your homework.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/

Look at fan testing R2 and R6.

Lastly, you haven't read enough about your liquid yet. Surprised you missed it, it's a MAJOR topic at this site and the other one I linked to in my big link post. You should have XS bookmarked, read ALL their watercooling stickies, and many of thier posts by now.

Here, again is my link post........................:bang head Updated just for you!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6489396#post6489396

Have the PT Nuke on my to-buy list

The res I've picked is: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir for Laing D5 - I'll update my main post with it now

Thanks for the advice RE the fans, I've looked through the R2 and R6. On the fans its probably best then to get the 1850s and put them on a controller so I have the ability to ramp them up if needed? I had planned to buy the NZXT Sentry LXE Touch Screen fan controller but that only controls 5 fans - or is there a way to get around that, ie to bundle fans into one connection?

I liked the special color coding Conumdrum :p had a look through the coolant sections on that and seems Dist and PT nuke is best and the cheapest

Thanks for the advice RE splicing

Just to come back to the build on a whole:

Looking at the setup on my OP, do you think what I have there has covered absolutely everything I need for a first time WC build (all necessary components and nipbits) and to acheive a good mix of quietness and performance overclocking?

That I will be okay to have the following loop (SINGLE loop okay?):
Res/pump -> Top 360 rad -> CPU -> back mounted 360 rad -> GTX 590 hydro #1 -> GTX 590 hydro #2 -> res/pump

The rads will be cooled by GT 1850s on a push config using a controller with 3 fans spliced into one connection

The fittings and tubing (although there is mixed feeling on the tubing?) are top notch and will do the job well and that I've selected the correct sizing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD and that I've calculated the correct amount of fittings: (and added an extra one of each just incase)

I made a diagram to illustrate it and hopefully can clarify what I'm going to do, I'm particurarly concerned about what fittings I'm going to be putting on the GTX 590s, ie do I need to buy 2 sealing plugs?

2n0sh03.png.jpg
(btw the circled S means straight)

I think you needa split the loops...4 gpu's will be fine on 120.3 (bit warm, but it will work), but the dT won't be doing good things for your cpu loop like this

Back