• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Layout advice and general suggestions needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bpswenson

Registered
Hello

I'm new to the forums and new to watercooling. The stickies are wonderful! Thanks for having such a great resource.

I'm going to be putting together a waterloop and I was wondering the best ordering would be. I noticed on the sticky it said ordering didn't matter since water temp would be the temp of the hottest component but I guess I've read in a few other places that order does matter so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ordering.

I have 3 680s in SLI. With GPU waterblocks and vram heatsinks. Basically like this guy: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1658276. I already have GPUs so full cover waterblock not an option. Don't fit on my card.

For mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: 3930k and waterblock (haven't purchased waterblock, cpu or mobo yet)

I'd also like to get the chipset cooler for the mobo

Pump: probably the Swiftech MCP355 recommended in stickey

So for rads I need 120.5 right? I assume a 3 and a 2?

1) Any thoughts on best ordering of components?

pump-> cpu -> chipset -> 2 -> GPUs -> 3 -> res an ok setup?

2) Any thoughts on a power supply?
3) Any suggestions on a case?

Or any other comments would be greatly welcomed. I do a lot of multithreaded programming for my research and I also play with 3ds Max as a hobby so that's why I'm thinking 3930k. Also from what I've read IvyBridge E is going to be LGA 2011 so perhaps thats an upgrade option. I also do CUDA research so that's why I'm going with NVIDIA. So mostly it's a work computer but I do like to play games as well.

Thanks again

Brian

one thing you will hear from people, is its far not enough information from you to give you any suggestions, but being blind on all the other information, id go dual pump setup or dual loop setup for your config, as in 1 for cpu vram and 1 for 3 680s. and loop order doesnt matter from my knowledge as the temps will only vary 1 or 2c throughout the loop

Since your not using full cover blocks, each gtx 680 will only dissipate about ~130-140W of maybe 160-170W via water. So all 3 gtx 680 would dump about 400W into water when fully loaded. Takes ~400W to heat water by 1C at 1.5gpm, and since not using full cover blocks you should get 1.5gpm easily with decent pump.

So when running prime stressing cpu (your 3 gpu blocks will be idle and dissipating maybe 80W in water total), having loop order so cpu is just after rad, you can get 0.2C lower cpu temps when stressing cpu. When running furmark and loading all 3 gpus, if you put rad before cpu, you can get 1C lower cpu temps, though at expense of slightly higher 0.3C or so gpu temps. Gaming, where cpu/gpus are not fully loaded, and intermittent load, though you wont be able to measure it, you likely can get about 0.5C better cpu temps by having cpu after rad, though again gpu suffers by 0.2C or so.

So if loop order matters to you, then you by definition are concerned with 0.2C better cpu temps running prime, and 0.5C better cpu temps (at expense of 0.2C worse gpu temps). In that case, I would first buy $150 worth of testing equipment (crystalfonz with dallas 1 wires), and mount cpu 5-10 times, until you eliminate 1-2C variance in mounts. Because if 0.2C bothers you, 1-2C will really bother you. And without the testing equipment, you wont notice the 0.2C improvement in cpu temps by altering loop order when running prime. Also make sure your house A/C is capable of controlling ambients to within 0.5C, otherwise you wont see your gain.

Though in gaming in might make more sense to put rad in front of gpus, since cpu is never fully loaded while gaming. And then when you run prime, just do a complete tear down, and put the rads in front of the cpu so you get the 0.2C benefit there.

Or alternatively, like everyone else, just dont worry about loop order, and do what is best for aesthetics and shortest run possible, since you ambient/mount fluctuations will far exceed any benefit from worrying about loop order. The only thing that really matter in loop order is res before pump for ease of filling and not running pump dry. But if you want the half a degree better cpu temps put rad before cpu, or if want half a degree better gpu temps, put gpu first after rad.

Rads, a 5x120 will be fine, but with 3 gpus would not get any less cooling than that. Just get good fans and a controller to run them at higher speed when stress testing for performance, and quiet speed when gaming.

motherboard blocks are for bling only, they only serve to restrict flow, and otherwise unnecessary as heatsinks on mobo nowadays are more than adequate. But if doing for bling, go for it.

If having 3x GPU's, a CPU and mobo blocks your flow rate could be kinda low. Best bet is to try it, if temps on the CPU seem wonky (whre flow rate really matters), put two pump in series, or a 120x2 rad and pump on the CPU, a 120x3 on the GPUs with it's own pump and res.

I'd have a bit more rad myself for better temps and quiter fans. Especially if your room temps are above 85F.

I'd probably go with a nice kilowatt PSU for that build. Note that a chipset block is not really necessary, and unless you're going to get into benchmarking, that board is pretty overkill.

Lastly, read the stickies, posts in this forum and all the links you find till your eyes bleed. In a week to a month you'll be ready to build a parts list.

Yes, prep makes the build happy. There is no rushing watercooling, it's a hobby to be savored and enjoyed.

you need 1200W PSU.

ur built is very similar to mine, so you can take a look at my profile album, see if any ideas there you like.

Back