• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling MOD/Problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pulsarius

Registered
Hello!!!
So i have a CM seidon 120V and i was thinking of modding it by adding a 240mm Rad and a Reservoir, but because iam new to this Watercooling world , i didnt realizei was making a mistake by placing the reservoir below the PUMP/cpu block.

that was the hole idea to use the CPU/pump from the close loop i have, and mod it.

iam here cause i need help and an opinion from you guys.

this is like it was:.

this is like it was befor someone poited me the fact that i had the Pump/cpu block above the reservoir :.

and this is how i thinking to place it to minimize the problem:.

Ive took the reservoir out of that place to see if i had remotly a way of placing the reservoir above the pump/cpu block and the best i can do is this and it will preaty much be at the same lvl as the intake of the pump but cant place it higher, and to place it like it is i will have to fill the reservoir out of place and then place it in that possition as the picture below , whit the filling place completly inside and aganist the top of the case.

i could also get rid of the Purge valve and and try to place the reservoir horizotntly at the right of thr MEM´s .

any sugestions ?

Thanks in advance.
Pulsarius.

Just a suggestion, could you attach the pictures directly to the site. The links won't work for me and possibly others.

I don't think that it matters if the pump is above or below. It does make a difference in the total height or "column" or "head". This simplistically relates to the weight of the water. Can your pump handle the "head". There is also the issue of resistance. Can your pump push water through the extra reservoir and radiator that you plan to add? I would venture to guess that these pre-made closed loop units have little room for expansion.

To re-answer your original question. The pump being above or below makes no difference but the difference of the highest point to the lowest point does. You want to reduce the difference as mush as needed.

No they don't work you should be able to insert the image directly from your PC using the image tool 3rd from left.
The pump should be below the res so there's no chance it runs dry. That's the biggest concern there I think.

No they don't work you should be able to insert the image directly from your PC using the image tool 3rd from left.
The pump should be below the res so there's no chance it runs dry. That's the biggest concern there I think.

redimentioned the images by order of the previous post :9 i hope :D :.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

looking at the last picture ... i could always filp the pc upside down and fill the loo by the purge valve ... to maximaxe the bleeding ? that would help a lot to take all the air on the loop if i place the parts like in modified picture ?

S Just so I get this correct, you want to add the radiator and resevoir to the Coolermaster loop and use the AIO pump to power the loop?

If that is what he wants to do, I'm not sure that is a good idea. Those pumps are pretty weak. There is a reason these are "closed" loop...one of them being so they are not able to be expanded.

S Just so I get this correct, you want to add the radiator and resevoir to the Coolermaster loop and use the AIO pump to power the loop?

exacly cause i cant aford a good CPU WBlock and good pump , so and cause i love to stuff like this (Modding) iam trying to make this work :) and boost the preformance(TEMPº) at the same time :)

Lets cut to the chase. Why are you upgrading your loop? Is the temp too high on your CPU? Are you trying to get more speed from the CPU and need the thermal headroom? What's going on that we don't know about.

I really think that upgrading this loop is a bad idea.

could the AIO pump actually overcome the added strain of pushing liquid through the second radiator? Seems to me that the AIO pump was designed and tested to work with the radiator it ships with, and nothing more.

is that not a pump/res combo?
sure looks like one can you give us the part number from the box or a link to the product at a site please.

Yea, it's an older one by Coolermaster. Can't find the specs. Those early AIO's were pretty weak in flow/pressure rates. Still, replacing the rad with a 120x2 shouldn't be a problem, the rad has such a low restriction.

That said:

Original poster! You MUST have the pump below the res. Or you risk running the pump dry while filling/purging. Which means you need to put the res above the case. Which would be wrong. Please rethink this.

Caddie, I don't see a pump on that, the fittings are too low on the res to make room for a pump.

Lets cut to the chase. Why are you upgrading your loop? Is the temp too high on your CPU? Are you trying to get more speed from the CPU and need the thermal headroom? What's going on that we don't know about.

I really think that upgrading this loop is a bad idea.

Hello, i wanna do it cause iam getting 58ºC full load, and because i wanted to try and mod that cooler for a while now and like i said befor i dont have $$ to buy a good Pump and a Good CPU block.

i havent cut the tubbing original cooler , but i might do it today and finish this.

could the AIO pump actually overcome the added strain of pushing liquid through the second radiator? Seems to me that the AIO pump was designed and tested to work with the radiator it ships with, and nothing more.

I rly dont know , but iave seen some modded "closed loops" like that.

is that not a pump/res combo?
sure looks like one can you give us the part number from the box or a link to the product at a site please.

it is ill link:.
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/seidon/seidon-120v/

Yea, it's an older one by Coolermaster. Can't find the specs. Those early AIO's were pretty weak in flow/pressure rates. Still, replacing the rad with a 120x2 shouldn't be a problem, the rad has such a low restriction.

That said:

Original poster! You MUST have the pump below the res. Or you risk running the pump dry while filling/purging. Which means you need to put the res above the case. Which would be wrong. Please rethink this.

Caddie, I don't see a pump on that, the fittings are too low on the res to make room for a pump.

and do you think that the reservoir in that position in the last pic , after the loop filled and placed there would be a BIG problem ? as the water lvl on the reservoir will be above the in/out of the Pump/cpu block ?
i can always fill the loop by the Purge valve whit the case upside down, like that i will be able to purge it flawlessly ?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :)

EDIT:.

BTW this is what i have ATM:.

AMD FX9370 8core
MSI 990FXA-GD80
G-Skill @2400 2x8gb
GPU HD6790(DIED) Using a 7600GS :-/ for now.

thats why i dont have $$ for a CPU block and a Pump :( need to stash $$ for a PROPER GPU for that sistem and a SSD.

Last edited:
i PRE-Setted everything , just to have an idea of the loop.

NOTE:. tubbing are bigger , so i can tweek it once its assembled.

and sorry for the crappy pictures , but its just to give you guys an idea.

DSC00408.JPG DSC00409.JPG

this is little bit more clear :.
4.jpg

and i can fill the loop from the top and bottom of the reservoir it will be a lot easyer for me to get rid of all air bubbles. i can even dismount the assembly after the tubbing are fixed and everything set in place and purge the air 99% i hope :O

Back