• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling newb. Have questions; need some advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pkrfan97

Registered
My System Specs:
eVGA NForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Intel QX6700 (OC'd to 3.2GHz) w/ 4GB RAM
Dual Nvidia GeForce 8800GTXs
Case: Alienware 7500 full tower 2.0b chassis

Parts I'm planning to buy from DangerDen:
Thermochill PA120.3
DD12V-D5 Pump Variable Speed
DD - 8800 GTX water block (2x)
Yate Loon High Speed Fan: D12SH-12 (6x)
Thermochill Neoprene Gaskets (2x)
Tygon 3603 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD (approx. 10-15 feet)
MCT-40 Non-Conductive Solution (1-2x?)
Plastic Snap Tubing Clamps (14x - should I get extra?)
Polypropylene "T"
Danger Den Fillport

My situation:

I have two routes to go.
#1: Keep the current cooling system for the CPU. Drill two 1" holes in the back of the case (possibly difficult) for tubing to/from an external radiator.

#2: Use the PA120.3 for the CPU & both GPUs. This would make my life easier since the existing radiator would leave a nice gap behind in the back so I don't have to drill holes.

My decision between the two is based on two questions:

1a) Can the PA120.3 handle the load from the CPU & GPUs efficiently?
1b) Would the proper loop setup be: Rad -> Pump -> CPU -> GPUs -> Rad?
1c) Where should the t-line be? Before the rad/pump? After?
2a) How easy is it to remove the existing CPU water block & replace it? Anything in particular I should pay attention to during the process? (Should I replace the thermal grease with fresh stuff? Any special way to do that or just wipe it up?)
2b) Would this be the right water block for the CPU? MC-TDX for Intel 775 CPU/Boards
2c) If so, I noticed I have two choices for "Top Style" between Lucite & Brass. What's the difference? Are there advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Second thing I'm concerned about is powering new pump/fans. If I take out the existing cooling system, that should open up a 4-pin connector from the pump that's already installed. Can I safely daisy-chain the 6 new fans & pump into that one connector? Is that an overload on the one plug or just the PSU in general with all the other stuff I already have on there?

(Side note: When heavily gaming, perhaps CoD4 or something, after a while my comp might either restart or shutdown, which I'm assuming is due to overheating. I assume that because if I open my big window with this Chicago winter going on, it never happens. I talked to Alienware tech support, and the guy said the shutdown threshold on the GPUs is around 120C & the motherboard was around 100C [i think he said 100C for that, it was late last night...hard to remember] I kept everest open & ALT-TABed out after a while. My GPUs never get more than 80-82C & I've never seen the motherboard get hotter than 60C, which was from running Folding@Home after 24 hours, not from gaming. I'm only left to believe it was the PSU overheating perhaps. I think it's plausible since the GPUs get so hot...the heat could rise & further heat the PSU, which would stop when I liquid cool the GPUs. However, the tech guy said the PSU overheating with my setup isn't very likely so I dunno. *End side note)

If I don't take out the current cooling system, I wouldn't have any open connectors & would probably have to get a second PSU for the pump/fans, right? If so, could I just have it power the pump/fans with this adapter without having a motherboard to plug it into? If so, I think I'll get this PSU.

I plan to get 10-15 feet of tubing (I know I won't be using this much, but extra never hurts), what's the max tubing length in a setup that the DD12V-D5 pump can handle to keep up the proper flow? Will I be okay for what I plan to do?

For the fillport, do I have to have it through a hole drilled into the case? Or can I leave it connected to the t-line without doing so?

Where can I buy deionized water to leak test? Or can I use distilled?

How much coolant will I need? 1 bottle (32oz)? 2?

How long should I leak test for? (I've read varying times online from about 1-2 hours through 24 hours...)

What kind of maintenance should I expect with a liquid cooling system? Do I need to replace the coolant every so often?

Anything I'm forgetting to buy?

Any aspect of this entire process I'm overlooking?

Thank you very much in advance for your responses; they will all be greatly appreciated :)

1a) Can the PA120.3 handle the load from the CPU & GPUs efficiently?
Yes
1b) Would the proper loop setup be: Rad -> Pump -> CPU -> GPUs -> Rad?
That's Ok
1c) Where should the t-line be? Before the rad/pump? After?
Before Pump
2a) How easy is it to remove the existing CPU water block & replace it? Anything in particular I should pay attention to during the process? (Should I replace the thermal grease with fresh stuff? Any special way to do that or just wipe it up?)
Depends on waterblock and manfacture's mounting system
2b) Would this be the right water block for the CPU? MC-TDX for Intel 775 CPU/Boards
Why not swiftech apogee gt or dtek fuzion. That one will do too.
2c) If so, I noticed I have two choices for "Top Style" between Lucite & Brass. What's the difference? Are there advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?
With brass you get lower chance of cracking while with Lucite there is a chance

For the fillport, do I have to have it through a hole drilled into the case? Or can I leave it connected to the t-line without doing so? It's up to you.

Where can I buy deionized water to leak test? Or can I use distilled?
Use distelled

For the fillport, do I have to have it through a hole drilled into the case? Or can I leave it connected to the t-line without doing so? It's up to you.

you don't really need a "fill port" I just have the pipe on the t-line held upright with a ziptie and that is all, its not even sealed.

Back