• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ways to cut out design in aluminum side panel and place acrylic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-honson

so im lookin to cut a dragon in my side panel of my lian li case and i already have the acrylic sheet to place behind it once im done cutting. anyone have an idea how to do this at home making clean cuts? also whats the best way to cut acryllic plastic panel

and finally, i was wanting to cover up the edges of my design with some kind of rubber sealant or something. any suggestions on what i should use to make it look really clean?

Depending on how sharp the curves are, you might consider using door edge molding. You can find it at most auto parts stores. It comes in two varieties, and the one I've used has a C-shaped cross section with glue at the center of the bend. The other kind is flat and only sticks to the outer surface.

Reinforced cutting wheels, they last a fair amount of cutting.
The regular wheels just are not economical for (steel) large cutting areas. Plus they break easy too. On steel you can see them get smaller as you cut.

Reinforced cutting wheels, they last a fair amount of cutting.
The regular wheels just are not economical for (steel) large cutting areas. Plus they break easy too. On steel you can see them get smaller as you cut.

well considering my case is aluminum, would that be of any relevance

well considering my case is aluminum, would that be of any relevance

Alluminum is still fairly rigid. It has different reactions to being cut. It's more rigid than steel, but steel is more bend resistant since it's able to flex back and forth. Alluminum will bend and snap... they're still both fairly hard to cut, but in my machining experience, aluminum was always easier to cut, sand, etc. But I'd still get the stornger tooling to avoid having to replace the disc every 2 minutes.

Back