• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ways to get rid of oscillating fan noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

So, my two fans installed at the top of my case oscillate the dust panel noticeably louder than the fans themselves when they are both set to the lowest speed. A workaround is to raise their speed, setting one about midway between full power and low power, and the other around 25%.

I do know that weighing the panel down stops the noise( the culprit is the plastic/mesh cover on the air 540) but I wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions they might add, like tightening or loosening the thumb screws that hold it in place, Or some other method.

I keep the fans at minimum unless I'm gaming on a graphic intensive game, which I kick them to full, My G930 canceling out most of their noise, and the game sounds drowning out the rest.

Rubber mounts are not currently an option, but I am planning to switch to them if this problem persists.

I use something similar tothis and it works well enough. The downside is the dry time. It peels off well enough when the time comes though.

If you want solutions when you dont have to buy anything, I would think you could use a pencil eraser or something to make a spacer and deaden vibration. With the troubles you are describing you need to get a little more space between the fan and the case I think.

Pop off the top cover, make sure the tabs holding the mesh on are tight.
IIRC, you can bend the tabs on the mesh into form better.

Ah, slight misunderstanding. It is the top cover that has the oscillating noise. There is nothing between that and the fans except the metal of the case that the fans screw into.

Ah, slight misunderstanding. It is the top cover that has the oscillating noise. There is nothing between that and the fans except the metal of the case that the fans screw into.

By top cover I mean the part you remove two thumb screws and can pop off of the case.
Is this not what you're referencing?

if it is exhaust.... take the cover off its not doing any good.

Yeah, its not really a dust filter persay. More an aesthetic finger guard. I don't think removing it will have a worthwhile delta temps decrease, so keeping it on there is ideal.

I took it off and reseated it, switching out the thumbscrews positions, and while it is still there, it is less audible. The tiny change of micro mass differences apparently did the trick.

When I reseated it, I did notice it still deposits some small amounts of ultra-fine dust particles, but the front filter is doing its job somewhat well, as I have to clean it once a week or it will really cake on there(the intake filter)

Back