• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weekend projects

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

In the UK we have an impending 3 day weekend so I'm debating my plans for it.

One job is to take my VR setup and re-paste the CPU, again. It's a 6700k that has been delidded previously, but I'm seeing temps gradually increase yet again. I used regular paste and have been intending to replace it with liquid metal for a while, so that will be interesting.

The other job is a bit uncertain as Amazon are late on delivery yet again. Ordered a new case to house the Skylake-X system in, supposed to be delivered yesterday, and only indicating out for delivery now (wasn't even this morning). I really fear they're going to do their usual trick of arriving at my work address after hours. Assuming it arrives, the plan is to move the Skylake-X system into it, with a modification. Only the CPU will be water cooled. The GPU I'll restore to air cooling so I can keep flexibility with future upgrades or component swaps for testing. I didn't realise before ordering the "back" half of the case is glass also, so I will have to worry about cable management. Doh! Can't just cram it all in there like I do on other builds.

Edit: Case just arrived. Don't hear broken glass noises so hope all will be fine... reception lady at work who signed for it sounded less than impressed at the idea of tempered glass computer cases and suggested I get out more!

Last edited:
A good comeback would have been to tell her you live in a glass house and the case fits the motif.

Unboxed the case, it's an Anidees Ai Crystal, and looks really nice, and smaller than I thought it was, in a good way. Really itching to do the build but I haven't even started extracting the parts from the old system yet, which will include draining a water loop. To misuse an old proverb: the build of a thousand RGBs starts with a single screw!

Back