• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird behavior on second HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoBioN

Hello all

I hope someone can help me where to start in troubleshooting this issue.

I recently upgraded my PC, only thing i kept was PSU, HDD's & GPU. I only wiped the windows drive in the process, so the secondary HDD this problems is on never was wiped.

I have in total 3 drives, 1 SSD 120 gb, 1,5 TB normal HDD, and at last another 1 TB harddrive.

When i start up windows and i get to desktop, the 1,5 TB HDD is not yet "running" the icons from programs/games laying on it is white (Blank?) and i can't acces the drive... If i wait a while, 1-2 minutes everything will suddenly appear and programs that auto loads with windows also suddenly flips on. I did not have this problem in the old build.

If the PC is up and running and i do a restart, all drives appears instant after restart, so its after a total shut down this appears.

I got no idea what causes it... anyone have an idea?

Motherboard is a ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4

Maybe some service responsible has a delayed start?
I'd try disconnecting the culprit drive and do a complete cold power on cycle without it and then reconnect.

1-2 minutes is a long time to what i was going to suggest which was the drive going into low power mode then powering up on request of data but that's far too long... i would back it up and run seatools or wd lifeguard on it and see if they throw any errors, also hdd guardian to check the smart status of the drive.

maybe not 2 minutes, but 30-1 min. It seems everything runs fine when it gets to run, but its quite annoying...

is it possible to test the HDD with games installed on it? Got hellava lot GB's of games on it atm :)

I'm with wagex on this. I believe those tools will test w/out destroying the data on the drive. I'd also find something that will report the SMART statistics and SMART error log. I'm sure that Seatools and the WD tools use that and I think that Crystal Disk Info can report this as well.

I'm also curious if powering down and rebooting immediately results in a similar delay. In other words is is the Windows cold start or the HDD cold start that seems to be the issue.

I would also check the Windows error logs to see if anything interesting is logged. A delay that long is unusual and Windows might have logged the reason why.

I will test this soon, i am very busy IRL, so i havent had the time to test it yet. i will return once i managed to run them through! :)

I'm with wagex on this. I believe those tools will test w/out destroying the data on the drive. I'd also find something that will report the SMART statistics and SMART error log. I'm sure that Seatools and the WD tools use that and I think that Crystal Disk Info can report this as well.

I'm also curious if powering down and rebooting immediately results in a similar delay. In other words is is the Windows cold start or the HDD cold start that seems to be the issue.

I would also check the Windows error logs to see if anything interesting is logged. A delay that long is unusual and Windows might have logged the reason why.
it does not do it on a warm/reboot. Only a cold start.

"If the PC is up and running and i do a restart, all drives appears instant after restart, so its after a total shut down this appears."

it does not do it on a warm/reboot. Only a cold start.

"If the PC is up and running and i do a restart, all drives appears instant after restart, so its after a total shut down this appears."

What I was wondering about is if the PC is shutdown completely (power off) and restarted immediately, does it exhibit this problem. There might be a difference between a drive that is still warm vs. one that has sat cold for hours.

Back