• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird memory problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jEevion

OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Rev. 2 TCCD 2-2-2-5
DFI LanPartyUT Nf4 Ultra-D
AMD Athlon64 3200+
OCZ PowerStream 520W

Hi guys. Now I have tested all stock settings/timings, they work just fine. However, I have discovered that my memory will only boot with CAS 2 latency.

What I did was, loaded optimized defaults in the bios, set the memory timings and booted. No problems. Then I left one stick in, left at 2-2-2-5, booted no problem. I restarted and set to 2.5-2-2-5, and before Windows starts loading it will either hang or immediately give me a BSOD. This occurs with either or both sticks trying to run CAS 2.5 or 3.

I have tried Memtest86 with 2.5-3-3-7 250MHz, no errors at all (both sticks).

I just don't understand where the problem could lie. If the memory were faulty, would it not give errors in Memtest86? Any help would be appreciated.

What FSB are you running it at? If you haven't burned in the mobo for higher FSB then that usually happens. It sounds like the ram is fine just something else that is making it hang.

Thanks for the reply.

This was running 200FSB. I did the following:

-Loaded optimized defaults
-Set the memory timings to 2-2-2-5 2.7v CPC Enabled
-Loaded Windows, was all fine.
-Removed 1 stick, loaded defaults, set to 2-2-2-5.
-Loaded Windows, was all fine.
-Rebooted, set to 2.5-2-2-5, couldn't get into Windows at all. All hangs and BSoDs.
-Replaced with the other module, same thing. Orange slot.

Well I tried it in the first orange slot, right next to the CPU, but it beeped at me so I put it in the far orange slot, which worked. I had both in the yellow slots at first, but they did not work very well either.

Does this sound like a motherboard problem? Also, how much of an impact could using old motherboard drivers have? If I try to update the drivers for the motherboard, I will get a BSoD after Windows loads.

Yes it could very well be the motherboard. I know on my nF3 250Gb the second slot is bad on it, and it happens quite often. If you know two of the slots are good then I wouldn't go through the hassle of getting an RMA.

I don't know if the mobo drivers would effect the ram in any way because the drivers is for the southbridge and other I/O devices that has no relation the mem controller.

Back