• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird overclocking issues with Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccdoggy

Registered
I have been using my build for 6+ months now and a reoccurring problem is driving me crazy. First off I have a cold boot issue where if the computer is overclocked and started up from cold it will lockup within 20 seconds of loading into windows. I have messaged MSI tech support and no answer other then to update to the latest beta bios which did not help.

Secondly my computer seems to go down in stability the cooler it gets. If i am benching it at upper voltages (VTT, NB, RAM, Core) it will work great but get a little hot. so i reboot and drop the votlages a bit and try again. each time reducing one of them and confirming its stable. but after leaving it on at a stable (5+ hours of BurnTest) setting overnight i try the burn test and it fails within 5 min. like its not stable when cool.

Q6600 G0 2.4 @ 3.150 (333x9)
2x2gig OCZ Titanium ram which is underclocked and timed for working on the processor
MSI P7N Platinum Bios 1.4b1 750i chipset
Asus ENGTX 260
650 watt OCZ PSU

does anyone know whats going on with the link between stability and heat in my system? it is getting really annoying trying to find a stable settings only to have them be unstable in the morning even though its been on all night.

Thanks allot i really appreciate any help or direction you can give.

*Edit*
Bios settings:
D.O.T. Disabled (msi overclocking thing)
EIST Disabled
FSB @ 1400
Memory @ 800 (with auto clocks 5-5-5-18)
CPU ratio of 9
CPU voltage 0.0875 (used to have it at .1125 which makes it in windows ~1.44V and made me uncomfortable, but had cpu stable at 3.4ghz) Right now in windows it sits at 1.424 and 1.384 under load
Memory voltage 2.0 (rated up to 2.2)
VTT: 1.325 (had at 1.375 before i started moving down)
North Bridge: 1.40 (was at 1.45 and that seemed way too high for long term)
South bridge: 1.56 (1.5 stock, moved up to try and see if it helped but dont see any difference either way)

voltages all seem within spec under load and stable from the powersupply.

Last edited:
Post the VID of your quad (Real Temp--> "Settings" page--> Max Core VID.) Next try these settings for 3.2 GHz...

Code:
D.O.T. Control: Disabled
Intel EIST: Disabled
System Clock Mode: Linked
FSB Clock: 1600
Adjusted DRAM Frequency: 800
Adjusted CPU Ratio: 8

CPU Voltage: 0.1875V 
Memory Voltage: 2.0
VTT FSB Voltage: 1.325 
NB Voltage: 1.36
SB Voltage: 1.53

... and post a direct link to your particular RAM.

with those settings it freezes up almost instantly when i put it under stress. tried raising my Vcore to +.1125 and it lasted a little longer by like 5 seconds. raised VTT to 1.375 same deal, NB to 1.4, same thing.

i cannot get 3.2 stable without pushing voltages pretty high...

I dont really need more then 3.15, im happy enough with it. I just need it to stay stable...

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Set the Vcore to .1875v and check the Core Voltage in CPU-Z while running Prime. Absolute max. Vcc for a Q6600 is 1.55v, and recommended max. is 1.5v. So w/ a Q6600 and a VID of 1.325v, a Vcore of 1.44v isn't out of the question for a 800 MHz overclock, and still within the "recommended" guidelines.

I am having a very hard time getting 3.2 stable within temps. Right now i can get stable at 3.2 with 1.47 vcore idle and 1.38 load, but its getting Really hot at like 80 degrees full load. I have an aftermarket tower cooler but its just not really keeping up right now with those voltages and heat output.

I am still trying to get it stable and creep the nb and VTT voltages down but its not cooperating.

Had to take it back down to 3.150 just to keep voltages and temps down. Ill keep the vcore up a little more and see how it reacts in a few days.

any other ideas about the failing the tests when 'cool'?

You have hit the nasty little FSB hole on that board, try setting an 8x multi and boosting FSB to 1600 try the vcore @ 1.3875 volts and make sure your ram is unlinked and running at the proper timings. My q6600 rig has been running 3.6 (400 x 9) at 1.3875 but my VID on this chip is 1.125. I believe your asus board has a vdroop feature which allows you to minimize droop, if that is the case make sure its on. Turn off C1E halt state and speedstep in the bios as well, as far as spread spectrum goes make sure they are all disabled. Hit me back via PM if your still having issues.

I tried my hardest bouncing the FSB up and testing with high voltages (in windows its idle at 1.46) but the temps were just too high for me 70+ C, ~80 peaks. I just could not for the life of me get it stable. I am going to go ahead and blame my 1.3250 VID chip.

Thanks for the suggestions Shadowmonk, but tried that a while ago. not stable at those speeds till i get the voltage way up there and uncomfortably hot.

Sadly no vDroop option on this (MSI) motherboard. it droops a hell of allot which could be one reason lower voltages do not play nice. The FSB holes are nasty, i know one of mine is from 350-400.

I guess i am happy with 3.150, its enough for me to play with. Though i will always have the idea in my mind that i can get just a little more out of it, but pretty sure i have tried almost every combination of settings to get even 3.2 or 3.4. The best thing to happen is that i believe my cold boot issue is gone as long as i run it at a little higher voltage then when i had it before. But thats a weird thing, i could drop it down and it would be stable, till i left it over night or turned it off. never had something like that happen before.

Thanks again for the help and direction.

I have a chip with a Vid of 1.3250 to but im able to have it sitting on 3.46 GHz on 1.4V hitting around 60 - 62 degrees with a Zalman9700 which isn’t great for Quads I have heard. I will be pushing it a little harder with my Black Tru120. Hopefully be able to push it to 3.8 at 1.5V.:beer:

Q6600Fiend, What settings do you have it at right now? maybe i could improve a bit more but i really dont know why i cannot get it a bit higher then this. maybe motherboard? i just dont know.

Back