• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Welcome New & Returning Rosetta Team Members:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks! *I have a second PC running too, it's my media PC I made with my *old/extra parts

Phenom II X6 1055T*
Gigabyte *MA785GM-US2h AM2+
2x2 GB G.Skill DDR2 800 Cl4-3-4
EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
Maxtor 320 GB, 60 GB hdds
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
46" Samsung HD DLP Widescreen

:cool:

No, it shouldn't. You can set it in preferences to suspend work when the computer is in use or when it hits a certain threshold of processor power. The BOINC client has been refined quite a bit and they haven't jumped from one type of client to the other like the folding bunch is always doing. So they have gotten the BOINC client to be quite mature and well behaved, I find.

You can uncheck "When computer is in use" if you don't want the CPU to Crunch while you are using it, or you can leave it checked and set the CPU % to leave a core to compute with while the rest are crunching. I've personally never changed that parameter, but I believe if you have for example a dual core CPU, you would set the CPU % to 50 and it will leave you with one core to compute with at all times.
I'm not really sure why the "while GPU in use" parameter is even there to be honest. Rosetta does not have a GPU client, so it's not really applicable. You can leave that one checked or unchecked, it doesn't really matter. And unless you are running on a laptop, the "while on batteries" parameter is not applicable so you can just uncheck that one too.

But bottom line is that the BOINC client will not crunch Rosetta if and when you don't want it to. You just have to set your parameters accordingly.

Welcome to the team! :)

If your doing Hardcore Gaming...right click the client and pause/sleep work. Or for long stints after that exit it. Start it up when you are done. The deadlines are not severe. Stopping it for a few hours isn't going to effect you much.

i found that unchecking the "while computer is in use" would keep my computer as an "in use" state even though i wasn't at the computer. My screen saver didn't go on and it was sitting at my desktop until power saving for the monitor kicked in ~20mins later. Very odd, but it could have been a fluke somewhere else too I suppose.

Made my introduction in the the main forum, but I'll pop in here as well. Been crunching for about 28 hours now and I'm already just about to jump over 4000 points of credit. This AMD hex is a hoss!

Made my introduction in the the main forum, but I'll pop in here as well. Been crunching for about 28 hours now and I'm already just about to jump over 4000 points of credit. This AMD hex is a hoss!

Big WELCOME to you Son! :welcome:

Glad to have you with us!

Back