• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Welding EMI and Wifi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

I'm doing a job for an Automotive shop, and they want me to install a network so they can have access to DSL across 3 computers in 3 seperate rooms. I want to use 802.11b if I can as I can put the router so computer 2 is hardwired, computer 1 is under the router (about 10' as the crow flies) and computer 3 is on the other side of the wall from the router (again, about 10' as the crow flies). Obviously it will work distance wise, but will the machinery they use (including a welder) cause the connection to drop? BTW, All of the computers are in the office area, so no machinery is there.

Thanks

Welding shouldn't cause a problem as long as the building wiring is properly grounded, the thing to watch for are Plasma Cutters. Earlier small units and most of the big units have a high frequency start they may be likely to cause some interference, but as long as you have enough signal to noise margin you should be alright.

Ddruid_SMP said:
Welding shouldn't cause a problem as long as the building wiring is properly grounded, the thing to watch for are Plasma Cutters. Earlier small units and most of the big units have a high frequency start they may be likely to cause some interference, but as long as you have enough signal to noise margin you should be alright.
Awesome! That will make this job SOOOO much easier :D

Back