• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What 32GB memory should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n8t3

Registered
I built a computer about a year ago with the following hardware:

GPU: MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
RAM: 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (total of 16GB)
CPU fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
CPU & Mobo: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 & ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77

I need to upgrade the memory from 16GB to 32GB since I'm maxing out quite often. It's terrible how much RAM has gone up in price over the last year, though :(

I'm thinking of getting the following, but I'm not sure how to know if it will work with my MOBO or whether it's a good deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

Any advice?

It looks like the prices are exactly the same to me?

Isn't the Ares series like the new version of the Ripjaws series? Do you think the DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) will be noticeably faster than the DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)? Lastly, can my MOBO support DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, I just have no idea what I'm doing, lol :)

Thanks so much for your help.

Well according to the Newegg page, that board supports up to DDR3 2600, so yes, it should work.

Honestly, as long as the RAM is the right slot type (DDR3, DDR2, etc) it will work 99% of the time. The motherboard will just set it to a default speed, and you'll have to tweak it to go faster.

As far as the performance difference between 1866 and 2400, I'm not sure you would notice it in day to day use, but I also wouldn't think you would typically max out 16GB, so what do I know? :thup:

The reason I suggested the faster RAM is because he is maxing out 16gig. I've never maxed out my ram before, so I have no need to upgrade. For someone who does max it out, they will benefit from the faster speed as well as capacity.

Isn't the Ares series like the new version of the Ripjaws series? Do you think the DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) will be noticeably faster than the DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)? Lastly, can my MOBO support DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)?
In most cases, no. What are you doing that is maxing out 16GB of ram?

The reason I suggested the faster RAM is because he is maxing out 16gig. I've never maxed out my ram before, so I have no need to upgrade. For someone who does max it out, they will benefit from the faster speed as well as capacity.
How will memory speed help if they are limited by capacity? That doesn't make any sense to me I have to admit. Can you support that assertion with a link which shows that result and how you came to this conclusion? Thanks!

How will memory speed help if they are limited by capacity? That doesn't make any sense to me I have to admit. Can you support that assertion with a link which shows that result and how you came to this conclusion? Thanks!

I'm not saying upgrading speed alone will make a difference. All I said was, if you are maxing out 16 gigs of ram, you will benefit from faster ram WHILE upgrading the capacity. Speed has nothing to do with the amount of ram you are using. But if you need to upgrade the capacity, and you can get faster ram for the same amount of $$$. Why not....

Oh.. that is what (I thought) you said...:)

Anyway, if it actually for the same amount of money, it most certainly couldn't hurt! I missed that part.

Back