• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What a Deal! - Should I Snag It?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

The question is, do I buy this and get a boot SSD or just buy an SSD for my current computer?
My computer has been giving me some trouble. Load times are atrocious. Gaming isn’t all that great. I also just wan't a fresh system and I hateWindows 8.

New Computer:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavil...GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10/803136621
(for the life of me I can't figure out if this will support m.4 -- would be cheaper if it could. any idea how to get that info?)

My Computer:
WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM
Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor
ASRock H97M-ITX/ac LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
16gb 1600hz ddr3
PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 AXRX 480 4GBD5-3DHDV2 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP ...

I’m gonna try to bench my comp tonight and do some HDD tests

Definitely wouldn't buy that system to replace yours. The passmark on your cpu is still pretty good. An SSD will give you some snap in Windows and maybe smooth out some game loading times. At this point better off saving for an entirely new build in 4-6 months when new cpu\gpus are out. Maybe if you could find a really good deal on a used 7700K combo you might consider that but otherwise wait. Find a cheap OEM license for Win10. Not sure what kind of OC options you got with that chip\mb, but if it can be I would get some decent cooling and shoot for 4.2-4.3. The 480 is your biggest drawback but it should handle 1080p\60hz pretty decently still I would think.

Thanks all!

I guess I'll try to find a good deal on a 500g SSD for the main drive and toss the 1tb. it really seems like it's dying on me.

To those of you giving me trouble for buying an OEM, I'm glad you are, haha. I just don't have enough $ to build anything atm. I LOVE building and OCing. Hmmmm, I need to figure out ways to make more $

If you are going to toss the WD 1TB without checking it, let me pm you address... You can toss it there. lol

Run the WD Data Lifeguard and see if anything shows up in SMART. If it checks out OK then format it & use it as a data storage/backup drive in your current rig or pick up a cheap enclosure & use it as an external drive. ;)

Hahaha, I don't mean actually toss it, I will prolly give it to a friend.

Thanks for the link!

Back