• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What anti-virus and tune-up software do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thehunt78

Registered
On this site there are so many experienced computer users and builders. With all this knowledge of computers I am just curious what anti-virus and tune-up utillities most people are useing. Just throw out a quick answer if your in a hurry so we can all get a feel for what might be the most popular. If you have time elaborate a bit on why you use who you use or about a particular one you would never use due to a bad experience. Come on people the more answers we get the better we can all make a better decision the next time we get a new computer and want to keep it working in tip top shape.

Tuneup software, none. Those can be more harmful than good sometimes. I doubt you will find anyone in the know that likes to use any. Windows 7 and today's hardware really are not in need of such tools.

AV, I just use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) that comes with windows. This question as asked an answered quite a bit, so while you are waiting for others to reply, please peruse forum area where AV questions are asked: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Welcome! :)

Tuneup software, none. Those can be more harmful than good sometimes. I doubt you will find anyone in the know that likes to use any.

This. Most of those tools are targeted to scam the less technologically adept, just look at all those ads "Is your PC running slow? Well we have the answer!" I more or less lump all tune-up software into that category.

For AV I use Avast which is a free program. It's lightweight and simple to manage and does the job well.

And welcome to the forums!

Most of those tools are targeted to scam the less technologically adept, just look at all those ads "Is your PC running slow? Well we have the answer!" I more or less lump all tune-up software into that category.

What about good cleaning programs from a really good download site? :shrug:

1, Ccleaner by Piriform.

2, Defrag by Piriform.

So would you class these as scams? :shrug:

Most of those tools are targeted to scam the less technologically adept, just look at all those ads "Is your PC running slow? Well we have the answer!" I more or less lump all tune-up software into that category.

What about good cleaning programs from a really good download site? :shrug:

1, Ccleaner by Piriform.

2, Defrag by Piriform.

So would you class these as scams? :shrug:

Oops, good point. I jumped the gun and automatically associated "tune-up utilities" with the all-in-one suites that claim to fix all your problems. :rain:

I personally use Ccleaner myself and love it, so I more or less retract my earlier statement. There are always exceptions. :D

OK all is forgiven, but to a newbie that would scare the hell out of them yes! And yes i use both of those for the last 4 to 5 Years with no problems, but most of all it helps to maintain the PC. ;) :thup:

EDIT: I think the best advice here would be only Download these types of programs from a top virus free site! AJ. :salute:

^^
I think its been 5 yrs i didnt made a defrag. Haaaa i remember, i use SSD's :) HDD's are for storage and my storage dont need defrag. ;)

I dont use any tools to speed up things and i use Comodo AV for about 4 years now without any issue. The newer version is a bit "W8 like" but its doing its job anyway :)

The Defrag i use on a Laptop with a HDD Drive it helps to maintain it well enough. The Ccleaner you can use that on a SSD, So long as the WIPE FREE SPACE is Disabled or unchecked in its box! Gets rid of all the day's rubbish and temp files etc and keeps the SSD fresh.

Ccleaner is an easy way to do cookies, temp files, recycle bin, etc. I just do it manually, whenever I do that (almost never). Today's systems are so powerful that I dont even bother with that junk.

I stick to no tools. :)

You sir, are well protected.

MSE + Windows firewall = WIN for me (and no issues with my PC).

This:

• Select MSE for ease of use or Select Avira for best zero day virus definitions but not so easy to use.
• Comodo Firewall will prevent apps sending info OUT of your system whereas Windows Firewall and other firewalls only intercept *incoming* data. I would disable Windows stuff if these third party solutions are installed.

My custom setup info for Comodo Firewall and Avira Antivirus, both free, and both tested to beat most Pay-For software:

Avira AntiVir Personal 13.0.0.2832

[Follow-up Build 2890 does not have the option to disable product updates. It is important to disable automatic product updates (but leave definition updates ON). Product updates may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

Disconnect Internet connection. Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.
Ignore Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall or similar programs which intercept phone-home attempts.

SELECT: Custom and CHECK: I accept the End User License Agreement > Next >

UNCHECK everything when asked to install Avira Toolbars > Next > Next > Next > Next

Welcome to the Configuration Wizard > Next > Next >

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.]
(UNCHECK: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression.) > Next > Next >

UNCHECK: Performs a quick systems scan after the installation

Next > Finish >

*ABORT any update process when it automatically pops up!* (If you haven't disconnected Internet connection as instructed above.)

Setup the program before connecting to the internet [then block apnstub.exe and ipmgui.exe from accessing the internet].

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program is renewed automatically through product updates. It is not renewed through virus definition updates. If product updates are disabled in order to prevent installation of a newer version of the program, download the latest key file from

http://dl2.avgate.net/down/windows/hbedv.key

and either copy it to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
and restart or go to Help > License management > click on the blue hbedv.key link > browse to the new downloaded hbedv.key > Open.

Options:
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

System Scanner (upper left) > Configuration (upper right) > Yes >
UNCHECK: Follow symbolic links (on right) > System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection >
Set for Automatic, Primary action: Ignore [if you want to just scan folders and get a scan report without deleting files or being prompted what to do if virii/malware are found.]

> Click on + next to Update > Product Update > Do not download product updates.
[This option is only for Avira Antivir product updates (Antivirus definitions will still be downloaded automatically.) Product updates should be downloaded manually by going to Update > Start product update... because they may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

> General > Security >
Disable being notified every time USB drive has an AUTORUN.INF file:
UNCHECK: Block autorun function
> General > Events > Select: Limit size to max. >
> General > Reports > Select: Limit number to max. >
> General > Alerts > UNCHECK everything except Dial-up connection is used

> OK

> Scheduler [on lower left] > UNCHECK everything.

Set Avira Free Antivirus to Always show in Windows Taskbar.

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

Also block these two files from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

or

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

For Windows XP Home or Windows 8 (non-Pro version) you would need to boot into Safe Mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security TAB >
[Under Group or usernames] SYSTEM > Edit button > CHECK: Deny for Read & execute > Apply > OK > OK

Make sure SYSTEM is set to Deny for Read & execute before rebooting.

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

You can scan multiple drives inside program options: Local Protection > Scanner > CHECK drives you wish to scan. The premium version also offers the option to scan multiple folders here. The free version does not.

In case of error message:

The procedure entry point ?_Xbad@tr1@std@@YAX4error_type@regex_constants@12@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Using two Antivirus programs at the same time:
If there are two Antivirus programs installed, you should not have two Antivirus *Guard* programs active at the same time because this would slow the system down, Windows may even have problems booting with two Antivirus guard components being active. So if installing AntiVir on a system where there already is an Antivirus program installed, do not install AntiVir guard.

Also disable the guard component of one program if using another program to scan an entire disk drive.

Default log file location is
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

For older versions:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\LOGFILES
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
or
C:\Program Files\Avira AntiVir Personal\
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Avira AntiVir Personal\LOGFILES

Comodo Firewall 2013 v6.0

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program > OK > UNCHECK everything.
Do not change DNS servers. Do not enable Cloud Based Behavior Analysis.

BEFORE CLICKING ON Agree and install ** CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE INSTALLATION here. **

UNCHECK: Install COMODO GeekBuddy and COMODO Dragon > Back > Agree and Install

*Reboot the computer*

First import any saved configurations if you have them:
Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Tasks > Configuration > Right click onempty white window > Import > Browse to previously saved configuration settings file > Open and wait for it to be imported, then click on the imported configuration > Activate

Otherwise, set your custom configuration:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Tasks > General Settings [upper left] > User Interface >
UNCHECK: Show messages from COMODO Message Center
UNCHECK:*Show welcome screen on startup
UNCHECK: Show desktop widget
UNCHECK: Play sound when an alert is shown

Updates > UNCHECK everything

> Security Settings > File Rating Settings > UNCHECK everything

Preffered free AV is mse. I personally use eset nod32 for my av. I get it when I can for cheap/free with rebates. Just got a 3 license pack for $10 after Mir.

$10 bucks out of your pocket + inferior definitions to Avira = not a good deal, brother :(

I've seen a lot more false positives in Avira tests/reports than with Nod32. It's what I've been using for years and has caught stuff (on other people's computers that I've installed it on) that have used the free AVs.

I never really get virus/infections on my PC (haven't for over a decade - consider that me being careful about the sites I visit and not clicking on stupid things).

I will keep Avira in mind next time i'm looking for a free AV though.

Janus67 said:
being careful about the sites I visit and not clicking on stupid things.

Best advice ever ! I too never had virus in the last decade or more....

No tuneup, but maybe CCleaner, AVG PC Tuneup (most of the stuff on there is pretty useful, but stay away from registry 'fixes')

Zone Alarm is what I use, its good for control freaks that want to stop things from running with impunity and want to know about every little request for permission that the system recieves from programs I run (which are not always non-malicious) and programs I don't (almost certainly malicious)

MSE , Ccleaner , Malwarebytes picks up some stuff MSE misses , and currently Auslogics for defrag. I use the firewall in the router. I also use Revo's uninstaller. The "all-in-one" software suites are a plague upon the land , so I avoid them. :)

Back