• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are these for Q_q

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Well, my new Cougar 120mm fans came in today, stuck em in my Cosmos II, they all fit real nice.

These fans, in particular - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553001

Probably dumb considering I didnt get my mobo yet, but its not like I glued the fans in...

Anyway, in the box there was a 3 pin to 4 pin converter... 4 screws with the little springs wrapped around it... and then four of these

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...-A1FC-C043A31EE708-58068-00000C6FC326A2C6.jpg

There are more than four because I bought three fans. xP

The boxes say they're "Fixer Pins" although there are no directions as to what their purpose is, nor to how to install them...

Help?

Well, a quick look at the newegg link you provided, tells me they are tooless pins and they help reduce vibration/noise from the fan.

Hmmm. Do they fit into the screw holes where the fan attaches to the case? I've never seen anything like that. Maybe an alternative to pop rivets?

EDIT: You beat me EarthDog ;)

Yeah they do but you really have to like JAM them in I mean like HARD...

I dont understand how that would help reduce noise they're 17.5 DB each its gonna sound like a damn airport when I get my dual NH-D14s + all of these fans...

Bah. I'll put them in if its awfully loud.

I think he meant noise from vibration, not noise from the airflow. If they''re tough to get in, they'll probably hold the fans in place more sturdily (it's a word! no auto-correct haha) and vibrate less.

Oh so they don't just sit on top of the screw top with the long part sticking out... :L I knew that didn't look right... I swear...

Q_q how do they expect ppl to just figure this crap out -_-

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...-A93A-9FE4B43A3EF7-59375-00000C8193C0B74C.jpg

Sigh...

This is embarassing ...

And when I posted above... they didn't actually go through when I pulled real hard... just appeared to...

OHHHH

I understand now...

They're used IN PLACe of the screws.

Yeah, super hard to get in, screws are fine...

Oh well, at least I can use em now for the Cooler Master fans from the lower HDD bays that have no screws, move em to somewhere more useful than cooling empty HDD bay cages... -_-

Last edited:
XD at least im thinkin, not having common sense makes you good at uncommon things, programmin computers... Hehe

Sigh. I still dont understand how these hold the fans on, there arent enough notches, i got it into the case but not the fans... Way too much force would have to be used and i dont wanna break my new cougars they smell too delicious =P

Wow, those ones are way longer (and look to be of higher quality) than mine.

I'll pass on installing them now but if they're real loud then ill try again...

Thanks a lot, I feel less dumb now -_- case fan-ally challenged...

I'm gonna test a cougar inside my old Chimera 2 case, tomorrow, to see how loud it is...

Wow, those ones are way longer (and look to be of higher quality) than mine.

I'll pass on installing them now but if they're real loud then ill try again...

Thanks a lot, I feel less dumb now -_- case fan-ally challenged...

I'm gonna test a cougar inside my old Chimera 2 case, tomorrow, to see how loud it is...

All part of the learning process my friend! You'll find this forum to be quite helpful, and people are always willing to help with any problems you're facing :salute:

Yeah I found that quite early when posting =P

Just tested a Cougar in my old computer, it was really quiet, nothing but air moving which is actually kind of relaxing. Not sure if it was running at its max speed, but its a 3 pin fan, so probably?

Speaking of learning, I learned that fans don't need to be plugged into the MoBo's pins? They can go directly to the power supply... is there a benefit to plugging them into the MoBo's pins and not to the PSUs? I know 4 Pin fans plugged into the mobo is useful because they can be controlled with Bios... but...

Also tested my 24GB of Corsair 1333mhz XMS3 RAM, worked beautifully, hurt my thumbs less than my old Kingston RAM that was originally in the computer... stupid RAM, why u no easy to put in?

hat fans don't need to be plugged into the MoBo's pins? They can go directly to the power supply... is there a benefit to plugging them into the MoBo's pins and not to the PSUs? I know 4 Pin fans plugged into the mobo is useful because they can be controlled with Bios... but...

Even if you aren't interested in controlling them, the RPMs of fans plugged into the mobo will be reported in bios, whereas fans plugged directly into the PSU will not report. Useful for narrowing down what's causing noise and the like. :thup:

Back