• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are these things? (Picture)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omega Destroyer

I've always wondered what these bulbs at the end of certain cables are for. They come in all sizes, usually the same shape. They are sometimes fixed in place, and sometimes they're detachable. Inside there is what looks to be a magnet, but it's clearly not magnetic, so I'm not exactly sure what purpose they serve.
My best guess is some sort of surge protection, but I'm not sure.
If you actually know what they're for (and you're not just guessing), please let me know.
bulb.jpg

heh thats a good question...who will unlock the secret of the bulb ? it probally is some regulator or somthinG but i think they put them in there with the magnets because of how when a signal is travelling through the wire after a certain length itll start to dissipate (hence corrupting data) and the magnet sorta keeps it in check...hell i dont know let somone smart answer.

They are weights, you can take them off to realize that they aren't attatched to the wires at all and contain little weights, I have no idea what they are for but they came on all my sony power/usb cables. Well 2 of them are and the one on the usb cable and other cable I don't know, but the ones that probably say TDK on them they're weights.

Wrong.

They're ferrite (iron, so yes they can be magnetized).

they provide some EMI filtering for data lines.

On power cables, it's just EMI (electromagnetic interference) protection.

(edit) EMI interference is generated by all the appliances in your house (especially transformers and crystals, your computer is an EMI brothel in all respects)
(/edit)

I agree with pro on this one. I think they are like shielding for that area of a cable. Something of that sort

Pro*Banshee said:
Wrong.

They're ferrite (iron, so yes they can be magnetized).

they provide some EMI filtering for data lines.

On power cables, it's just EMI (electromagnetic interference) protection.

(edit) EMI interference is generated by all the appliances in your house (especially transformers and crystals, your computer is an EMI brothel in all respects)
(/edit)

Note that it is not just protecting that portion of cable, it acts as a filter for all power passing through the cable. I think some of those above may have been missing that.

on power cables, it also prevents that harmful EMI from all of your crazy neighbors from seeping into your power supply, although most have EMI filtering built in to them.

if it doesnt have a ferrite core on it, you can also tie the power cord in a knot, this makes the cord into a weak inductor, which also filters out EMI

Pro*Banshee said:
on power cables, it also prevents that harmful EMI from all of your crazy neighbors from seeping into your power supply, although most have EMI filtering built in to them.

if it doesnt have a ferrite core on it, you can also tie the power cord in a knot, this makes the cord into a weak inductor, which also filters out EMI

SO we should all put a bunch of knots in our power cords?

Back