• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what are they and where do they go ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pappasmurf

Registered
Hello

I am Building a machine and leading from the front of the case are a group of wires which all have attached on the end of them little black plastic rectangles with the following written on them

Red wire - the black plastic has written on it +5v
White wire -D
Green Wire +D
Black wire Ground

What are these for and where do they go in the mobo
the mobo i have is MSI KT4AV

Thanks for any help

Does the case have a manual, do you know the manufacture, check the manual or manufacture website, I couldn't find anything like in my case.

it's for the stuff on the front of your case. it's either usb, firewire/1394, or audio. sounds like usb to me. trace where they lead to the front of your case (you may have to remove the front bezel) and then you'll know for sure. good luck.

Just checked my case again and the usb cable uses those colors but there should be another cable with five wires.

Zero is right. the only wires that come from the front of the case (and aren't connected to a fan) are for your on/reset switches, your lights and any front panel connectors you might have.

Sometimes there are extra wires too. I've seen cases where the USB cable connectors from the front bezel have both a large connectors (usually 8 pin i think) with multiple wires labled USB1 or whatever, and then there are alternate connectors with individual wires for connecting the front USB ports to the headers on your motherboard. The individual connectors would be labled as you described and go to particular pins on the USB header. The set pf connectores to use just depends on how your board is set up.

You may have extra/individual wires for lots of different things that you don't necessarily need....power button, power led, hdd led, reset button, firewire, usb, etc.

As was mentioned before just look for what the wires are coming out of and refer to your motherboard manual for specific header and pin locations.

the -D, +D, etc. are refering to specific pins on the applicable header on you motherboard.

If you are not sure what the wires connect to then just leave them out (usually crap cables in every case with front panels).

Back