• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are you all using for coolant in your loops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

Hey all i have been back on air for about 9 months due to 2 bad pumps, getting married, work, ect... i ordered a new XSPC X4 Photon 170 Reservoir/Pump Combo (NON D5 version). Thought i would give it a try considering my last two pumps were dual bay res/pumps.

But what im hearing through the net is its not good to run distilled water and some PT Nuke and a kill coil in a system anymore? And that we should to use a premix or something from a company to run in our systems.

One person on Facebook through a private group called cablemodders gave me a like to an EK forum that says distilled water is really bad for a system.
https://www.ekwb.com/blog/antimicrobial-algae-protection/

Ive been running distilled water with PT Nuke and a silver kill coil for years with good luck...minus the bad tubing i got once (plasticizer).

So my question to any and all is what are you running in your systems? if not distilled water then can you give recommendations? Im running primoflex lrt uv blue with uv strips and in the new res i got a blue led so i really got most of the color covered. Should i run a premix, concentrate or a dye? I will be putting this build back together in about a week since im waiting on some AS Céramique 2 from newegg with slow shipping.

Last edited:
My only custom loop is running EK EVO clear. I think it is a previous product, not a current one and they sell something else now. I got premix to start with, and also concentrate to make more up. Had some residue problems initially, but that might have been in part due to inadequate flushing. Gave it a wash in citric acid (as I had some on hand) and has been fine since.

I'm using distilled water without anything else and I've never had issues. If loop is clean then should be fine. If components were already used in other loop, dried etc and used again then maybe better will be to add something to water. On the other hand my loops barely ever have more than 1 year.

I went from Distilled and Silver to Aquacomputer's DP Ultra Clear fluid. I got tired of oxidization build ups on my CPU blocks and so I made the switch. Some have had issues with EK nickel plating since it doesn't sit well with silver based biocides in distilled loops. EK has warned about this several times.

I use windshield washer fluid that is methanol based. It has a lot of fun color choices and the system seems to handle it ok.

I use De-ionized water as I have for years .
But If you have EK blocks I would not use Silver .

I use windshield washer fluid that is methanol based. It has a lot of fun color choices and the system seems to handle it ok.

I'll try that next time I play with my chiller. I used automotive coolant when I was playing with it & I think the anti-freeze is much thicker than the windshield fluid. Your solution probably transfers heat better than mine.

I'll try that next time I play with my chiller. I used automotive coolant when I was playing with it & I think the anti-freeze is much thicker than the windshield fluid. Your solution probably transfers heat better than mine.

I tried glycol based coolant but the viscosity especially when cold caused low flow rates. Coupled with the lower heat transfer of the glycol lead to not so great results. With the methanol based fluid I have no viscocity issues even when cold and the heat transfer difference is negligible versus straight water.

Mayhems X1 clear coolant mixed with distilled water + Silver kill coil.

It foams up a bit, but its not a huge deal for me.

I can't remember exactly how long ago it was, but Danger Den was one of the big brands at the time. During that era, the watercooling additive/mix market was certainly less developed than now. Most people I knew at that time, like myself, used distilled water with the same additive as used for car radiator loops. I don't recall any problems, even with throwing in random UV dyes.

distilled and pt nuke. ive had the same bottle of pt nuke for more than 10 years haha(its still half full). tells you how often i used to do maintenance.

distilled and pt nuke. ive had the same bottle of pt nuke for more than 10 years haha(its still half full). tells you how often i used to do maintenance.
Same here. Before that it was distilled with water weter or Zerex. I still have the little bottle of Zerex in the garage.

I can't remember exactly how long ago it was, but Danger Den was one of the big brands at the time. During that era, the watercooling additive/mix market was certainly less developed than now. Most people I knew at that time, like myself, used distilled water with the same additive as used for car radiator loops. I don't recall any problems, even with throwing in random UV dyes.

Water Wetter. ;)

Filtered spring water, Amsoil Coolant Boost (a water wetter type product), and copper sulfate.

My pump is nearly ten years old (always undervolted) and my current loop has been together for 3 1/2 years now with no flushes and zero issues.

Back