• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are your favorite Windows 10 UI modification methods/packages/programs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

As I explained in my thread Chic Minimalism: The Death of UI Design, the Windows 10 interface is a supreme example of the worst trends in UI design.

Having been many years since I've put together a system and used anything newer than XP, I am quite overwhelmed with all the considerations to deal with. I am still reeling with configurations, testing things, and the amazing performance of my new hardware.

All that being said, I cannot take it any longer. I must change this blasted UI. I am calling upon all who would take up arms against the overlords of trendy design and would like to know what YOU consider the best of the best implements for achieving this goal. :salute:

WindowBlinds used to be a very good program to change the UI from WinXP to Win8.1, had hundreds of themes on the website and allowed you to make your own, not sure if it was updated to Win10 ?

Classic Shell
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

Gives you options to both modify the Start Menu as well as the Windows Explorer menu, two pillars of effective Windows use.
Once set and saved, the small backup file can be transferred and restored between machines in a fraction of a second.

It makes the difference between Windows 8.0 being usable and unusable but in the end it's also better than Windows 10 because unlike Windows 10, it give you *options* to choose whatever you feel like your Start Menu and Explorer buttons you want there to be...

So new users do not use buttons but twenty years ago they were in use a lot in Windows.
And can be today still under Classic Shell.
You don't have to use them, but at least you have the option of setting them up:

Toolbar.png

But most people don't do that, and use Classic Shell to choose their Start Menu button, Start Menu look and content.

Other programs offer cosmetic modifications but Classic Shell mods impact user efficiency, speed with which you a actually use your computer, if you prefer visual clicks over keyboard shortcuts.

Back