• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Business Is A Good Alternative To Newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I placed my first order with Newegg in 2001 and have used them almost exclusively since. Tonight I tried placing an order for a mobo, CPU, memory, and a SSD and got so pissed over the SSD I ended up not ordering anything.

First, the $210 + free shipping price for a Samsung 256 GB SSD with Newegg as the provider changed to a $300 price with some unknown (to me) vendor over a period of about an hour. Then, the price was only listed as "from $233.40" but the actual price was hidden until the checkout process was completed up to the point of actually placing the order. Then, the price was shown as $300 so I just decided to not order anything. I was much more annoyed over the hidden pricing than the sudden price increases.

Is there any other well established business that provides the wonderful customer service, the integrity, and reasonable prices Newegg did for so many years?

UPDATE: I just ordered the SSD from BH Photo for $210 + Free Shipping. They have also proved themselves as a very trustworthy business but they are primarily a photography equipment supplier and do not have the large selection of computer parts like Newegg does.

Last edited:
Amazon ahniliates Newegg deals regularly. Plus they have a larger selection, like Yate Loon fans, Scythe fans, older video cards... etc.

Yeah, Newegg tried to scam me once too. I was regularly checking on a Cooler Master Cosmos II case in dec 2012, comparing prices between sites, etc.

Few days pass and I get coupon codes, they regularly mail out you know, 10% off all cases I see, "Oh, looks like I'll fire on that case I wanted"

I look and the Cosmos II is $20 more than it was before the deal, and the 10% off it only saved me $5 instead of a larger amount that would've been saved if they hadn't surreptitiously raised the prices. So I went to amazon and gave them $5 for the principle.
Never again, newegg.

Also, another good website that offers TRUE deals (on their facebook page they have deal codes, occasionally they'll advertise them on their website too)

www.superbiiz.com

I bought both the processors and both GPUs from them for my current sig machine and they are very professional and nice.

June of this year I snagged my second Zotac GTX 670 4GB from them for only $383, cheap cheap cheap.

B&H is a great place for products indeed, SuperBiiz(formerly E-Wiz), NCIX, ProVantage, MicroCenter, Buy.com, many others for varying products.

What I have personally switched over to from someone who shopped exclusively at NewEgg, is Amazon. Not only have I had amazing service, I've never run into any issues. Recently picked up a Z77 board from Amazon for a friend of mine, I did a quick inspection but missed a few bent pins in a corner that I found after having boot issues. I sent in for an RMA and told them the reason, they gladly accepted the motherboard in exchange for another one, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Good luck returning a board with bent pins at NewEgg...

As far as NewEgg's Marketplace though, you can select whether you purchase the product through NewEgg or a 3rd party by selecting which you want to buy from below the Buy button. Unless NewEgg is current OoS, in which case it may default to 3rd party.

Wow, Bent pins ? no questions asked RMA ? You don't hear that very often. That's impressive. While I personally have never been through this unfortunate situation seeing this will now have me comparing the mobo's on amazon instead of blindly buying at The Egg.

Amazon is pretty legendary with their customer service end of things. Not to say NewEgg isn't good by any stretch of imagination, NE is certainly great when it comes to customer service. They just seem to tell customers to fk off when it comes to certain things for RMA....

On the flip side of things, I honestly can see why NewEgg acts the way they do regarding such things. I mean, bent cpu pins CAN be caused from mishandling, but I'm willing to bet that 8/10 times it is a factory defect. But, Amazon is a much larger company and have expanded their products by a great amount, so it's just good to see a company that can actually understand manufacturer defect.

(Tip, VIDEO record yourself opening a box and checking for defects(even opening shrink wrap, because how can they explain bent pins then...), along with testing. Pictures are not good enough for NewEgg; friend sent in pics of the bent cpu pins and they told him customer induced damage, doesn't matter)

Well, this is one person who has placed his last order with Newegg. I am having a hell of a time getting them to issue a $714 refund on an RMA that they received nearly 10 days ago and already approved. Repeated calls to customer service with no callbacks. This has been a big waste of my time and a huge frustration. Next stop is my bank to file a transaction dispute on the original charge.

Back